Jester's 4e Ravenloft Pamphlet

Discussing all things Ravenloft
User avatar
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 2165
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:35 pm

Post by DocBeard »

Yeah-I'm sorry, I'm still terrible at 'where I should post ideas'. Sorry about that.
User avatar
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:19 am
Location: A Canadian from Canadia

Post by Jester of the FoS »

S'okay. Make your own thead to send it to us.
User avatar
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:19 am
Location: A Canadian from Canadia

Post by Jester of the FoS »

In case anyone hasn't seen/heard, the booklettes are available on the FoS now:
http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Libr ... l#jester4e

I'll eventually give them another edit through (checking for spelling mistakes and such now that it's been long enough for me to catch them). I might edit some rules for clarity and such and doublecheck some rules and modify some stuff (after further playtesting results, which can always be posted here).
Things like the caliban's Big Boned feat, which looks good (even when compared to official monsters) but is a little too good.

I should also take Martial Power to heart and add some racial class feats (to make each class attractive to each race). But that's more long-term.
User avatar
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden
Posts: 1508
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:17 am
Location: In the marshes of New Jersey
Contact:

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Thanks for doing this, Jester. It's really well thought out and covers a ton of material.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
User avatar
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:19 am
Location: A Canadian from Canadia

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Working on the PHB2/3, MM2, DMG2 revision with corrected feats and powers and monsters and such.

I've you've encountered any problems or typos let me know.
User avatar
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:19 am
Location: A Canadian from Canadia

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Look forward to almost seven pages of 36 new feats for the caliban and giomorgo.
User avatar
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:19 am
Location: A Canadian from Canadia

Post by Jester of the FoS »

The revised, updated, and expanded Player's Guide is now 99% done.
Download it here:
http://www.box.net/shared/9r7h7itou6

When finished I'll have it hosted on the FoS site. The GM guide is semi-done as well, but I need to give the Power Check rules an additional once-over for clarity. The monster book is about 1/2 done as I'm doing a thorough number check with the new monster builder.
User avatar
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:19 am
Location: A Canadian from Canadia

Post by Jester of the FoS »

If anyone is reading this, the updates were delayed for a week after a couple last minute education on some rule elements.

In the meantime, if anyone's reading this, I'm curious about how people feel about the Mist Pact. Specifically the use of Intelligence as its main stat.
At its creation I felt it was logically the best stat, but now worry it doesn't work well with the game design. It also greatly limits a mistlock's options for powers to my homebrewed.
On the other hand, it makes it more interesting for multiclassing.
User avatar
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 2165
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:35 pm

Post by DocBeard »

I think that Wisdom might be more flavorful; mistlock magic being like trying to find your way through a blinding fog, so to speak. Otherwise, well, it's not that big of a deal: there are plenty of pact options. The only reason not to just say that the Dark Powers count as a dark, star, or vestage pact is because we think a new pact style is neat.
User avatar
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:19 am
Location: A Canadian from Canadia

Post by Jester of the FoS »

It's just from a 4e mechanical standpoint you have NO options as a mistlock. You can't take the occasional star or infernal or dark power without having a severe minus to attack rolls.
It's a game of min-maxing and you need that 18-20 in your primary attack stat and a 14+ in your secondary with all other stats being dump stats. Classes with two different attack stats are rare and were phased out on PHB2; it's really only the cleric, pally, and warlock that have to chose between one or another (and, to a lesser extent, ranger). I might be better to change the powers to Constitution or Charisma.
User avatar
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 2165
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:35 pm

Post by DocBeard »

Oh, I see. For some reason I thought that the other pacts used different stats.

Well, I'd say its your call, but I'd probably do that then. You could spin either ability score easily enough; constitution being how well you can endure channeling the power of the mists, and charisma being your natural ability to manipulate or jostle the delicate spiritual power of the mists.
User avatar
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:19 am
Location: A Canadian from Canadia

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Went with both for the Mist Pact, so they can choose Constitution or Charisma. Tried to tweak the daily powers to match the changes to dailies in PHB2 and later.
Added some more warden, shaman, and invoker fluff, but still not happy with the former.
Post Reply