DarkSun-style domain

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Kraken(rpgworld)
Conspirator
Conspirator

DarkSun-style domain

Post by Kraken(rpgworld) »

Developers offer us the kalidney, but I do not like.
It is a tasteless, no he horror theme.

I had my head:
1.Super Weapon
D-sun is partly postapokalptic - use of local Super-Weapon (defilingmagic) destroyed the planet
Sorry for bad english, im not native americano
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Okay... so what does that mean?

Darksun is very much a post-apocalyptic world.

How would you make a Ravenloft domain from that world?

I'm sure there's plenty of ideas, though what would take advantage of the unique, warped world of Athas?
Evil Reigns!!!!
Shadowdragon
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Shadowdragon »

Maybe something like The Hills Have Eyes? A blasted wasteland filled with cannibal mutants?
Lovecraftforever
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lovecraftforever »

Shadowdragon wrote:Maybe something like The Hills Have Eyes? A blasted wasteland filled with cannibal mutants?
As far as I know Ravenloft has at least one domain for each official TSR era world.

BTW: Ravenloft is "Gothic horror" not just horror. Many horror settings would not fit the Ravenloft tone and feel.
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Lovecraftforever wrote:As far as I know Ravenloft has at least one domain for each official TSR era world.
Depends on where you draw the line of "official TSR era world". There are more than you probably thinkI know I was surprised by the list.

Al-Qadim, for example, never made it in, unless you count the arabic-flavored story in Tales of Ravenloft, neither did Red Steel or Blackmoor, etc...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Lovecraftforever
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Lovecraftforever wrote:As far as I know Ravenloft has at least one domain for each official TSR era world.
Depends on where you draw the line of "official TSR era world". There are more than you probably thinkI know I was surprised by the list.

Al-Qadim, for example, never made it in, unless you count the arabic-flavored story in Tales of Ravenloft, neither did Red Steel or Blackmoor, etc...
I thought Sebua and Har'Akir were once part of Al-Qadim?

Since we are on the subject is there a list of all the domains and where they came from?
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

These two domains come from the "Black Land," which is not necessarily part of al-Qadim. It's actually a generic term, since ancient Egypt was known as "Kemet," the Black Land.
BTW: Ravenloft is "Gothic horror" not just horror. Many horror settings would not fit the Ravenloft tone and feel.
Ravenloft a collection of varying concepts of horror; though Gothic horror is Ravenloft's "crown," so to speak.
Since we are on the subject is there a list of all the domains and where they came from?
Not a comprehensive list, but:

Barovia - Mystara (light speculation)
Darkon - Greyhawk
Vechor - Greyhawk
Falkovnia - Krynn
Sithicus - Krynn
Nova Vaasa - Forgotten Realms
Kalidnay - Athas
I'Cath - Kara-Tur
Rokushima Taiyoo - Kara-Tur
al-Kathos - al-Qadim
brass
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by brass »

Birthright would have been another setting that could have had some good domain potential.

Planescape contains everything like a worn old sack filled with magical bees. So it probebly would have been a bad choice for drawning a domain from.

Wasn't there an Aztec-a-like setting? That could have had some milage as a domain.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Lovecraftforever wrote:Since we are on the subject is there a list of all the domains and where they came from?
Like this?

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/FAQ/ ... crossovers

Barovia's never been conclusively linked to any established world, as far as I know. Where do you get the Mystara speculation, Dion? (My understanding of Mystara is that it's farily high-magic, so it would seem an odd choice for low-magic Barovia, IMHO)

Also, is there a solid link between al-Kathos and al-Quadim other than arabian inspiration? if not, it's just as likely to have come from an unnamed arabian world, or even Gothic Earth's middle east.

(same goes for Rokushima and Kara Tur, IIRC)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Hogan Van Monsterband
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Hogan Van Monsterband »

What do you like about Dark Sun? Is it the postapocalyptic stuff? The cultural stuff? The general this-is-not-standard-fantasy feel it has? That'd be the thing you'd want to filter through a Ravenloft lens.
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: Barovia's never been conclusively linked to any established world, as far as I know. Where do you get the Mystara speculation, Dion? (My understanding of Mystara is that it's farily high-magic, so it would seem an odd choice for low-magic Barovia, IMHO)
http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.ex ... a-l&P=1177

Like I said, light speculation.
The Oriental domains have been linked to Kara-Tur by "Domains of Dread," I think.
Lovecraftforever
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:
These two domains come from the "Black Land," which is not necessarily part of al-Qadim. It's actually a generic term, since ancient Egypt was known as "Kemet," the Black Land.
Ravenloft a collection of varying concepts of horror; though Gothic horror is Ravenloft's "crown," so to speak.
Not a comprehensive list, but:

Barovia - Mystara (light speculation)
Darkon - Greyhawk
Vechor - Greyhawk
Falkovnia - Krynn
Sithicus - Krynn
Kalidnay - Athas
I'Cath - Kara-Tur
al-Kathos - al-Qadim
The horror genre is probably the most vast genre in entertainment.

Its a genre that includes Alien, Godzilla, Dracula, The Deadly Mantis, Saw, Dawn Of The Dead, I Spit On Your Grave, I could go on for hours like this.

The dark lords of Ravenloft are not the most evil or the most monster like in the universe.

If being evil is all it took Ravenloft would be infested with drow and dragons.

Ravenloft villains were for the most part people who made a bad choice that led to tragedy. A highly Gothic theme
Lovecraftforever
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Lovecraftforever wrote:Since we are on the subject is there a list of all the domains and where they came from?
Like this?

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/FAQ/ ... crossovers

Barovia's never been conclusively linked to any established world, as far as I know. Where do you get the Mystara speculation, Dion? (My understanding of Mystara is that it's farily high-magic, so it would seem an odd choice for low-magic Barovia, IMHO)

Also, is there a solid link between al-Kathos and al-Quadim other than arabian inspiration? if not, it's just as likely to have come from an unnamed arabian world, or even Gothic Earth's middle east.

I thought Barovia came from Forgotten Realms?
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Lovecraftforever wrote:
I thought Barovia came from Forgotten Realms?
Raf's campaign has strongly suggested that it did. In canon, the world of origin is never specfifed, but does not seem to be any of the other published settings. Check out Roots of Evil, IIRC, or its companion module. The PCs get a chance to visit Strahd's homeworld. Nothing indicates that it is any of the previously published TSR settings. Old Barovia could easily be placed on those worlds, though.

Personally, I like keep the world origins of some Darklords mysterious. I've gone with the Azalin-Oerth tie-in, although I don't really think it was necessary. Azalin was not originally tied in any way to Greyhawk, but the designers penciled that bit in at a later date. I like the WoG setting too much not to use some Greylore in my Ravenloft. :wink:

Some tie-ins, like Vorostokov being linked with Birthright, seemed unecessary to me. I don't use those.

If really want to have an 'official' world of origin for Strahd and other Darklords like him, perhaps you could consider using Laterre/Dimension of Legend? It already has a link to horror themes, a demiplane/otherworld of swirling gray mists, etc. None of that is actually a direct link to Ravenloft, but it could be easily retconned.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Garudos Celestar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Garudos Celestar »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote: Barovia - Mystara (light speculation)
Darkon - Greyhawk
Vechor - Greyhawk
Falkovnia - Krynn
Sithicus - Krynn
Kalidnay - Athas
I'Cath - Kara-Tur
al-Kathos - al-Qadim
Rokushima was never tied to Kara-Tur. I'Cath was, both in its original incarnation in Islands of Terror and subsequently in Domains of Dread.

Barovia has always been on an unnamed prime world (and we get to visit that world in Roots of Evil). It's not connected to any of the other settings.

The Black Land has no connection to al-Qadim; like Prime Material Barovia, Mordent, and Forfar, it's a creation specific to Ravenloft history. The connection between al-Kathos and al-Qadim is never explicity stated, but the story "The Judgment of abd-al-Mamdat" utilizes the main themes of the setting, most notably the personification of Fate as the main divine force. I believed that it was officially advertised as the crossover story way-back-when, but my memory could be faulty on that particular detail.

Also, Hazlan, Kartakass, Valachan, and Aggarath were all Forgotten Realms domains.
Last edited by Garudos Celestar on Sun May 23, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i]"I too have begun to wonder about the legendary wisdom of our guardian angel and his pet rock."
~ Evee Beiderbecke[/i]