Fiction: "Gift" of the Arak

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gwenfloor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Fiction: "Gift" of the Arak

Post by Gwenfloor »

I looked in Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey, and found that Arak view making a mortal into a Changeling to be making said mortal into one of the Arak. Hypocritically, the Arak have been known to pit changelings in life-threatening situations, while the two Court Lords find sacrificing Changelings to be necessary in times of dire stress.
I thought of an idea for an adventure idea:
Olvaren, an Unseelie Sith, was onced asked by a young Falkovnian boy to rid him of his misery. The boy, Friedrich, lost his parents who were sent to be tortured to one of Drakov's banquets; they were not guilty of any crimes. Olvaren saw potential in the boy as a Changeling, and he granted the Falkovnian child the Arak's greatest gift.
Olvaren spent time teaching Friedrich everything he knows; Olvaren saw Friedrich as a way to make a more perfect vision of himself; one with no pesky emotions to get in the way of contemplation, one who could carry on Olvaren's lore in case the Arak loses interest in contemplating death and becomes another breed of Arak.
This all changed with the war against the minions of the Spider Queen. Loht needed Changeling troops to defend the land, and Friedrich was one of the unfortunates to be picked; he died in battle.
Olvaren saw Friedrich as more than a Changeling; he saw him as a fellow Arak, one who was a counterbalance to his weaknesses. Olvaren claimed that the Arak's willingness to have Changelings, supposedly fellow Arak, slaughtered, with no remorse, as breaking the Law of Arak. Of course, the Sith became shunned; this filled Olvaren with rage; his remained loyal to the Law, yet his fellow kin turned their backs on him, breaking the most inflexible tenet of the Shadow Fey. Olvaren formed his own political Court amongst fellow Arak who shared his sentiments, and seek nothing more than revenge against Maeve and Loht, for breaking the Law of Arak.

Edit: This is just the beginning of the idea. More to come soon, including stats!
"Deities are no more than mortals with supernatural powers, and thus are capable of making mistakes."
~Alper, Kobold Alchemist in my Ravenloft Campaign
Gwenfloor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Gwenfloor »

Olvaren rules his own Court, called the Soul-Saver's Court. It's goals are to prevent Changelings, seen as fellow "Arak," from being destroyed by purposeful negligence and/or violence by other Arak. Ordinarily, Olvaren would not have many supporters, but the stagnant nature of the Arak, as well as a lack of something to fight for (other than popularity), boosts his organization's numbers, often by Shadow Fey who share his views and Arak who have lost Changeling(s) in similar circumstances.
Olvaren does not stoop to his enemies' levels, so he is focused on defeating his enemies through less violent pursuits; character assassination, smear campaigns, propaganda, rumors, and other favored weapons of politicians and nobles.
Currently, Olvaren has gained popularity amongst the more chaotic fey, who do not like the current arrangement and leadership of the courts, or those who simply love to take risks.

The Sith also has non-fey agents as allies, although all but the most canny mortals realize that they are the pawns of a rogue Shadow Fey. Olvaren has Charmed contacts spread in the Domains adjacent to the Shadow Rift, who serve as spies, providers for safehouses, and valuable pawns who do not fear natural daylight.

Game stats for Olvaren will come later.
"Deities are no more than mortals with supernatural powers, and thus are capable of making mistakes."
~Alper, Kobold Alchemist in my Ravenloft Campaign