Funky map error in Gaz 2?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Joël of the FoS wrote:*lol* Funny mistake, had read too many Lovecraft book just days before? ;)

But now that the Mountains of Madness are set in Darkon, how can we say that lovecraftian myths do not mix well with RL? ;)

I'll add this to the errata list.

Joël
Actually I use Mountains of Misery as a haven for every kind of tentacled aberration with illusions of grandeur... except mind flayers.
Garudos Celestar wrote: Well, if memory serves, the most famous shadow dragon in DnD literature was Shimmergloom, who battled Drizzt Do'Urden in Mithril Hall (although I haven't personally read that one of Salvatore's novels, so someone do correct me if my info is wrong).
Actually Bruenor fought the Dragon with the rest of the heroes, as Drizzt wasn't at hand.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Garudos Celestar wrote: Well, if memory serves, the most famous shadow dragon in DnD literature was Shimmergloom, who battled Drizzt Do'Urden in Mithril Hall (although I haven't personally read that one of Salvatore's novels, so someone do correct me if my info is wrong).
You may be right about the "most famous" part. I've never heard of Shimmergloom myself, but I'll take your word for it.

This does not lessen my disapproval of FR's writers poaching wholesale from other campaign worlds.

The supposedly Japanese board game that most Americans know as "Go" was actually invented by a Chinese emperor and is known throughout China as "wei qi". By the same Shimmergloom logic, the game apparently gets retconned to be a Japanese game instead.

End rant.

(Needless to say, nothing personal against any of the posters. I just dislike Forgotten Realms.)

Edit: (Also needless to say, nothing personal against Japanese people. But speaking as a Chinese person, we still begrudge the centuries of coastal raiding that they undertook to steal kanji one by one to add to their own script! :) )
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

HuManBing wrote:Edit: (Also needless to say, nothing personal against Japanese people. But speaking as a Chinese person, we still begrudge the centuries of coastal raiding that they undertook to steal kanji one by one to add to their own script! :) )
:lol:
Drusilla
FoS Dread Receptionist
FoS Dread Receptionist

Post by Drusilla »

cure wrote:Lyssa von Zarovich acquiring power by having a ghost age her is just wrong.
I recall from dusty tomes writen by a half-baked madman foundly caleld The Good Doctor that there were no such thing as a typical Vampire in our fair lands. A typical vampire cannot be aged by a spirit or anything other than time, yet since there are no typical Vampires in this world, is it impossible to find one that a ghost could age? Well, I think it's a good argument, disagree and I'll bury you with paper dollies! teeheehee :lol:
My mummy used to sing me to sleep at night. 'Run and catch....the lamb-is-caught in the blackberry-patch...' She had the sweetest voice.... What will your mummy sing when they find your body?"
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

All right, guys, which one of you let the receptionist out of her box? :roll:

Personally, I agree with cure that it was lame. Not so much because of Lyssa's role, but because a ghost's powers in Ravenloft are even more variable and individualized than a vampire's. And the notion that a ghost, risen from the grave to avenge his own ghastly murder, would exhibit the power to STRENGTHEN his murderer is what's stupid. :shock:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Sylaire
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sylaire »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote: And the notion that a ghost, risen from the grave to avenge his own ghastly murder, would exhibit the power to STRENGTHEN his murderer is what's stupid. :shock:
Oh, I don't know; there's a certain delicious irony to it that fits RL very nicely. He's risen up for vengeance from beyond the grave and all his most horrible, soul-shattering unholy powers do is make his killer even stronger. That kind of hopeless futility is almost typical, if for example you're reading a short story written from the ghost's POV.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Just out of interest, do ghosts still have the ageing effect to their attacks in 3rd ed?

I would have thought that a ghost's touch would age but do so using negative planar energy. So attacking a vampire would not cause it to age in the normal sense (because you'd have to be touching a living creature to do that) but it would restore a certain number of hp for the vampire.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

HuManBing wrote:Just out of interest, do ghosts still have the ageing effect to their attacks in 3rd ed?

I would have thought that a ghost's touch would age but do so using negative planar energy. So attacking a vampire would not cause it to age in the normal sense (because you'd have to be touching a living creature to do that) but it would restore a certain number of hp for the vampire.
Well this thread has lost its way . . .

Still it is exactly the point you make HuManBing that so irritates me about the NPC in question. The negative energy should have healed her as you say, or given her some temporary hit points, or even made her younger at the extreme. Instead it was deemed to have given her access to vampiric power that only comes with centuries of experience, rather as if a person aged by a ghost were to gain intelligence, wisdom and charisma as a reward for his misfortune.
The cure for what ails you
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

The thread hasn't quite lost its way yet.

We all have to comment on how hot Lyssa von Zarovich looks. (I may have mentioned in another thread how the party's CN bard literally changed sides after I showed his player a picture of Lyssa - the one from the Thoughts of Darkness adventure.)

NOW the thread is drifting nicely towards irretrievability! :D
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

HuManBing wrote:NOW the thread is drifting nicely towards irretrievability! :D
Pray tell what your bard thought of the illithids strutting in tight leather and stiletto heels?
The cure for what ails you
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Hmmm... my Thoughts of Darkness must have had a misprint or omission because it didn't contain any Illithids dressed to dom.

Unless of course that's your homegrown addition.