Dragonlance Canticle podcast--Lowder interview:Soth & ho

Discussing all things Ravenloft
JamesLowder
Scribe of the Black Rose
Scribe of the Black Rose

Dragonlance Canticle podcast--Lowder interview:Soth & ho

Post by JamesLowder »

Hi:

In case anyone is interested, I did a long Halloween podcast interview about the two Soth Ravenloft books and horror in general:

http://www.dlcanticle.com/2007/10/31/th ... interview/

The Devil's Due project I mention should be of interest to Ravenloft fans; when I can say more, I'll post it here.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Dragonlance Canticle podcast--Lowder interview:Soth &

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

JamesLowder wrote:The Devil's Due project I mention should be of interest to Ravenloft fans; when I can say more, I'll post it here.
I thought Devil's Due was primarily a comic book company... Does that mean you're taking a stab at a new medium?

Or... could this possibly mean that either Knight of the Black Rose or Spectre of the Black Rose are slated to be the next adaptations that Devil's Due are doing of TSR novels? (drools at the prospect)

Of course, you can't answer that second question; either you wouldn't know or, if you did know, you wouldn't be allowed to say. Darn.

How about a hypothetical: if Devil's Due were going to adapt either KotBR or SotBR, would you do the comic script yourself? Or at least push for someone really good at it, like Steve Niles's adaptation of Clive Barker's The Great and Secret Show?
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"
brothersale
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brothersale »

OH, Please be a comic (drool), that would be so cool
All great movements require a few martyrs... -Moebius (soulreaver 2)
JamesLowder
Scribe of the Black Rose
Scribe of the Black Rose

Re: Dragonlance Canticle podcast--Lowder interview:Soth &

Post by JamesLowder »

Lord Cyclohexane wrote:I thought Devil's Due was primarily a comic book company... Does that mean you're taking a stab at a new medium?
Comics isn't a new medium for me. I've published several comics scripts, beginning with a Forgotten Realms/Spelljammer crossover for TSR Worlds Annual #1, back when DC had the TSR licenses. In fact, I was one of the in-house comics continuity editors at TSR for the DC Forgotten Realms comics. (That's why Jeff Grubb had the Realms comic artist draw me into the "behind the scenes at the Realms" issue--Jeff and I are getting lectured by Elminster on Mulhorandi pottery....)

And, as I've noted elsewhere before, the next comic DC was set to launch, before they had a falling out with TSR, was Ravenloft; I was first in line to script that book. (No, that book is not what's being launched by DDP; they only have the license to do adaptations at this point.)

Since then, I've scripted a Vampire: The Masquerade comic for Moonstone and creator-owned stories for such indie anthologies as Mythography and Moonstone Monsters: Demons. (I was a Stoker Award finalist in the illustrated narrative category for that last one.) I have a dark fantasy story called "The Man Who Collected Gods" coming out this December in Negative Burn #16.

I've done a lot of other comics-related projects--reviews, superhero fiction, an essay about the X-Men continuity ("Infinite Mutation, Eternal Stasis") in a book edited by Len Wein, an article for Milwaukee Magazine about the Masters of American Comics art exhibition....

So, all in all, I'm pretty comfortable with the form :)

As for the Devil's Due project, I can say this: I will be editing and doing some writing for DDP, on their WotC licensed books and maybe other things. We first talked about me doing some writing, and then that grew to include discussions about editing and project wrangling.

We're still getting approvals from Hasbro for the first project, but once that gets locked in, we'll announce it. I'll make certain the Fraternity hears right away.

Cheers,
Jim