azalin and urik

Discussing all things Ravenloft
twinwolf
Conspirator
Conspirator

azalin and urik

Post by twinwolf »

has anyone fleshed out the current relationship between Azalin and Von Karkhov? they have a fairly unique history in that one was subordinate to the other and they went their separate ways without actively trying to kill each other. are they currently platonic? do they correspond? what's been done with this in canon or otherwise?
Not every Angel alights the sky with feathery wings of Glory,
Nor every Demon with cloven hoof hunts unwary Quarry.
No, but evil exists in this world and in the hearts of us all,
For let us not forget even the greatest of Angels fell.
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: azalin and urik

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Almost nothing has been done in canon.

I personally don't see them having a very close relationship, because Urik was (a) someone else at the time due to false memories, (b) probably encourage the murder of a high-up Kargat vampire and (c) doesn't like to serve any masters but himself. I wouldn't imagine they had a lot to do with each other in Darkon either.

From the Gaz, Azalin appears to have contempt for Urik, and regard him as a curious freak.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

In my fanfic, Azalin acknowledges Urik as something of a precocious servitor who bravely evaded capture and struck out into the unknown in the hopes of escaping the hell he knew. Given that Azalin believes firmly in making his own destiny, this is a bit if a point of admiration for Urik.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

HuManBing wrote: Given that Azalin believes firmly in making his own destiny
I would respectfully disagree. Azalin executed his own son because Irik tried to make his own destiny instead of following the one Azalin had in mind for him. He rewrites memories and tries to force people follow the path he chooses for them, like he did in From the Shadows.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

Azalin believes in making HIS own destiny. :D He's pretty hypocritical. I don't think it's out of character for him to admire someone half a continent away for the same actions he would kill someone in his backyard for.

Alternately, Azalin believes in making your own destiny successfully. Irik failed. von Kharkov has done a much better job of successfully forcing his way outwards and upwards than Azalin's wayward child.

I think it's a really complicated issue. (I'm not entirely sure that Azalin doesn't respect that Irik TRIED to do his own thing, he only hates the things Irik tried to do. He also might be more disappointed at his son's failure than at his refusal to obey.)
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

He see's his son's WEAKNESS and is trying his hardest to correct it. Show him that he's doing it all wrong. I can see him showing admiration for someone else I believe anyone that's showed competence and loyalty. Well his son may have been competent for quite awhile, and I think Azalin showed a bit of respect to his son at least in his own eyes by executing him, by his own hand instead of letting an executioner do it. (it happened to send a message to his people that he was serious as well)

I haven't read I, Strahd; War against Azalin or enough of their interaction but they had respect for eachother for a time. And if anything even though Strahd is an enemy I still think there's a bit of respect between them. *shrugs* again to each his own xD
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Zilfer wrote: I haven't read I, Strahd; War against Azalin or enough of their interaction but they had respect for eachother for a time. And if anything even though Strahd is an enemy I still think there's a bit of respect between them. *shrugs* again to each his own xD
If I recall, they spent so many fruitless hours together and invaded each others personal spaces (especially Azalin doing it to Strahd, while Azalin hated Strahd for his ability to learn new magics and progress) that they just learned to hate each other as they saw each other as a detriment. I always saw them looking at each other and seeing the failures of many years of unsuccessful experiments.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Zilfer wrote: I haven't read I, Strahd; War against Azalin or enough of their interaction but they had respect for eachother for a time. And if anything even though Strahd is an enemy I still think there's a bit of respect between them. *shrugs* again to each his own xD
I didn't get that from I, Strahd.
Azalin IMO showed no respect for Strahd, breaking/ignoring Strahd's rules, killing people in front of Strahd as if he owed the place instead of being a guest, reading Strahd's diary, lying to him about his nature, casting spells on him to make sure Strahd doesn't find out he's a lich etc etc etc. According to Strahd, Azalin didn't show him any respect at all and Strahd didn't like it but Azalin was stronger and more knowledgable so he tried to use Azalin instead of fighting a battle he couldn't win.

As for Irik, I think Azalin executed him to send a message not out of respect. Also he keeps trying to bring back Irik as his own image still failing to accept that Irik is good by choice and he can't cure Irik's goodness.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Most definately he can't accept his son's ideas because they fly in the face of his ideas. He definately see's it as a weakness since it's stated as such. That doesn't mean he doesn't respect his son, or care for him. Obviously he wouldn't be trying to bring him back if he didn't like anything about his son. XD

Most of the things you say Azalin did to strahd I haven't read whichever book it's in. xD I've read the First Azalin book about his life as Firan and being split. Also found out his pylactry is freakin cool! But none of the other things.

*shrugs*

I will say Strahd didn't like the fact that Jander was stronger than him for a time... it's no different than with Azalin just in a different.... field of study should we say?
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Zilfer wrote:I will say Strahd didn't like the fact that Jander was stronger than him for a time... it's no different than with Azalin just in a different.... field of study should we say?
Jander really didn't set Strahd off until the summoned wolf moment when Jander wrangled control from Strahd and he realized that he could be a problem. Then Jander found out about 'Ana'...
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk