Discussing all things Ravenloft
Nox
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

[DM] Help me with various description and storytelling

Post by Nox »

Hi all!

New topic, new questions!
I'm just realizing i'm not as good in describing and storytelling as i would like to be. So i'm here to "abuse" (ok, not the best word choice :) ) your experiences.
I would like to be entertaining and clear when i describe some place, some events, or even when i describe a fight or a spell effect.
I know this is "generic" to say the least.

to be more precise:
1) How do you describe places? Where do you start and what do you focus attention on?

2)How do you describe spell launch effects? I'm specifically talking about visual and sensory effects.

3) How do you describe when a monster strike? Do you do it all the time or reserve particular attention to some particular attack or encounters? How to not be repetitive and actually boring?

4)When you have to tell the players a story (for example a bard that is telling some legend in a tavern), how do you proceed? I'm not good at improvising, nor i'am a passionate reader of books. I like to write a lot, but when i write i have all the time to make corrections (in fact for the first few sessions i spent much time in writing lot of conversation, descriptions, events, and such before the sessions, just to be prepared for those events, But this was a really time consuming way and i had to quit this style soon, even though the sessions were a lot more clear and probably entertaining IMHO). Now my way of preparing for sessions is quite simple: during the day i have much time to think (since my job is to drive a car and waiting other people for business), so I spend my time thinking about what could happen and how to describe such situation in the next session. In the weekend, when i'm at home, I prepare encounters, put down some notes about them and eventually i read something about the setting. During the session i have to improvise and often i find myself having hard time doing it, messing up things, forgetting intersting or nice details, or being unclear to the players. Maybe I thought about this awesome description of this monster or this place, and when it comes the time to actually describe it to the player i always forget something, and sometime is an important detail. How do you procede when you prepare your next session/adventure?

You can expand those questions to near infinite other similar questions, whatever you think could help me improve is apreciated.

5)I read a lot about ravenloft (expecially on the region i'm playing in, Invidia, but not only) since i've started this campaign. I was a total newb, both in Dm-ing and on ravenloft. Now i can brag some knowledge (well, to be honest, not that much, but still...), but i still have problems when players ask me something about the plane. For example often my players do ask "Do I know something about this....?", i usually let them do a knowledge check and if the result is decent (above 16 usually) I tell them something on the matter. Fact is I constantly question myself if I'm telling too much or too little, and i cant find an answer on what should i tell them, and what not. I know that all this last part looks a mess, but the point is: is there a rule regarding knowledge checks? a table that tells me what they know with the result they had?

6) Last but not least: If you have some articles, even old stuff, that could provide me some advice on how to improve those things, i will read them more than willingly.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the time i'm stealing to you :mrgreen: .
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: [DM] Help me with various description and storytelling

Post by Dark Angel »

The problem some have with story telling is the issue you may have when your players move away from the story you wrote. The fact that you are not super into that may be easier to go from one end to the other. However, you then have to be good at improvising when that does occur.

When describing places I try to draw upon real places from pictures, television, and movies to help. I watched a lot of westerns (a genre I was never really into) when preparing for a western based game. I watched From Hell and Sherlock Holmes when my group was in Paridon, and another member of the forum (MadStepDad) used the Godfather movies as a basis for Dorvinia's corrupt nature. I had watched Game of Thrones and took the first scene from the first episode for a winter undead encounter (which my player called me on when he started watching the series). So don't be afraid to steal (or 'pay homage to' if you get caught stealing) straight from sources. I have an entire word doc set aside with domains listed alphabetically. When I see something on this forum, in a show, online, or on television I copy and paste it or type the reference in. Then if I am setting an adventure there I have plot hooks, NPCs, situations, magic items, or bits of flavor text to call upon.

I have noticed that just saying a place's name and it's population and why the players are there is not as good as getting into the nitty gritty. Think about what you see when you visit Levkarest in Borca. The walls of the city conceal a lot of the buildings, but the Grand Cathedral stands tall above the other building and can be seen for miles. The low haze of smoke and smell of the river flowing by provide a slightly familiar feeling to the players as it reminds them of a small town they were from, but is instantly dispelled when the wind shifts and the 'smells' of the lower quarter force them to hold their breaths as long as possible. The Gazs are really great in this respect as they provide first hand descriptions of the major cities in Ravenloft that one can use. With the poor sewage systems and poor hygiene of the vast majority of the citizens, most players would barely notice unless they hail from the upper class or lands with better sanitation. By the way? Tanneries (leather makers) stink to high hell from the animal parts and the chemicals used. That smell will carry on the winds. Think about what you would see and smell. Describe the towering gates to a city, the beggars hold out their hands and barely coherent through their toothless mouths, little children swarming them offering them cheap baubles and colored rocks (and 20 minutes later find themselves missing a coin purse when they have to pay to enter the city). Depending on how the players are dressed, how do the locals look at them? I had a Barovian party wearing chain mail who really didn't stand out in Krezk, but looked ridiculous in Borca. If there are any superstitious bones in the townsfolk, they may be reluctant to help a party with an elf and a dwarf in it.

Visuals are great and image searches on the internet (or from books or movies) can relate the feel of a forest at sun set, the oceanic approach to a dark island, and so on. Without spending too much time on it, describe the muddy streets of a small Barovian town so they can compare them to the cobblestone avenues of Paridon. Never underestimate the weather. A sunny day is fine. That's why I have no use for them. Make it cloudy and rainy and they will be begging for the inn they have to stay in for the night as they get sick from slugging through mud and swollen rivers. I always enjoyed the powerful warrior dead on a mountainside pass with his powerful magical armor and sword +5 laying at his side. So when my players get a magical cloak to avoid all but the worst weather, they almost breath a sigh of relief. Use your personal experiences if you can. Ever been to the beach? Ever had to haul a bunch of stuff over the sand to get to where you were going? Now imagine you are in Har'Akir and covered in chain mail and every step you take is bogging down in sand. They will miss roads really fast.

For spells, they give some idea of how they work. Fireballs arc out from your finger and explode at a predetermined point, lightning has the loud clap noise the instant it strikes, with more subtle magics reflecting that as well. An illusion or an enchantment will not have the mage swinging arms and jumping around, while a wall of fire might. I am pretty sure the 2nd Editon book Spells & Magic addresses various spells and how subtle they can be. Not sure how interested you are in that (or if a higher edition covers the same topic). I am pretty sure it even goes into how a spell sounds and smells too (if you are really interested in buying it because of that, let me know and I will specifically look in the copy I have to give you as clear of an idea about its contents).

Monster attacks are similar. A staff striking is kind of intimidating, more so than a few arrows sticking out of your chest? Not likely. A bear or wolf pack ripping into you? That's intimidating. Roll a 1 for damage? Describe the hit on their arms or the weapon (like a sword) doing blunt damage through the armor. Roll a crit that kills a foe in the same round? Take off their head or dig deep into their torso. Unless you want to, don't roll hit locations just make something up. Use it to flavor things like when your ranger fumbled his attack and rattled his hand so bad it aches (no effect on combat, but he will notice the sting when the local militia commander shakes their hand after the battle). Be creative, not every attack has to be hack and slash. The full plate covered warrior swinging his sword at the docks? Shove them into the water. Better chance to be hit (don't have to bypass the armor) and you take them out of combat (maybe even drowning them in the process). A giant or ogre may take a smaller foe and grab them one round and throw them the next. Why? Maybe because on hit would kill that player (or another one nearby) and this wastes a round setting up something that they will likely not forget. Orcs will aim for the mount of a guy charging at them and let gravity handle the rest. The smarter the opponent, the better they will handle these things. Strahd and Azalin? I never set up their memorized spells and I let them cast what they can when they need it (never exceeding spell allotments of course). Use smart people like smart people would.

Player knowledge about the nations and the concept about the nature of the world around should be very limited. Most teens and adults in the modern world possess as much knowledge as some scholars in Ravenloft. Commoners have no idea what a domain is (country? maybe.), what the Vistani truly are and able to do, what are darklords and who they are. Strahd von Zarovich XI is the undisputed leader of Barovia, while the ageless beauty of Borca, Sefesa Ivana Boritsi is the one in charge. They should not know that they are cursed, how they are cursed, or that they can control the very land around them in various ways. Don't warn them about power checks. Roll for them when warranted. Pass or fail, describe what happens. The icy touch along their spines or the chilling breath of something lurking behind their ear, if they fail they feel its presence and then it's gone. If they failed, then the darkest feeling settles in their torso. Then deal with the after effects. I had a couple of players literally run up a tree, begging their gods for help. Their gods didn't answer, the Dark Powers did. They were whisked away and woke up with different surroundings, changes to their characters, and a sacrifice had been made. They lived at a cost. Think about this, the Fraternity of Shadows (in-game) is a widespread group of powerful mages who have dedicated their lives to understanding the Demiplane of Dread. It's like asking someone why is the sky blue and anyone says, "It the way the light from the sun hits the atmosphere and the light is dispersed and it looks blue." Am I right? I dunno. Sounded right. Ask a scientist, they went to school for stuff like this.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Nox
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nox »

Dark Angel wrote:The problem some have with story telling is the issue you may have when your players move away from the story you wrote. The fact that you are not super into that may be easier to go from one end to the other. However, you then have to be good at improvising when that does occur.

When describing places I try to draw upon real places from pictures, television, and movies to help. I watched a lot of westerns (a genre I was never really into) when preparing for a western based game. I watched From Hell and Sherlock Holmes when my group was in Paridon, and another member of the forum (MadStepDad) used the Godfather movies as a basis for Dorvinia's corrupt nature. I had watched Game of Thrones and took the first scene from the first episode for a winter undead encounter (which my player called me on when he started watching the series). So don't be afraid to steal (or 'pay homage to' if you get caught stealing) straight from sources. I have an entire word doc set aside with domains listed alphabetically. When I see something on this forum, in a show, online, or on television I copy and paste it or type the reference in. Then if I am setting an adventure there I have plot hooks, NPCs, situations, magic items, or bits of flavor text to call upon.

I have noticed that just saying a place's name and it's population and why the players are there is not as good as getting into the nitty gritty. Think about what you see when you visit Levkarest in Borca. The walls of the city conceal a lot of the buildings, but the Grand Cathedral stands tall above the other building and can be seen for miles. The low haze of smoke and smell of the river flowing by provide a slightly familiar feeling to the players as it reminds them of a small town they were from, but is instantly dispelled when the wind shifts and the 'smells' of the lower quarter force them to hold their breaths as long as possible. The Gazs are really great in this respect as they provide first hand descriptions of the major cities in Ravenloft that one can use. With the poor sewage systems and poor hygiene of the vast majority of the citizens, most players would barely notice unless they hail from the upper class or lands with better sanitation. By the way? Tanneries (leather makers) stink to high hell from the animal parts and the chemicals used. That smell will carry on the winds. Think about what you would see and smell. Describe the towering gates to a city, the beggars hold out their hands and barely coherent through their toothless mouths, little children swarming them offering them cheap baubles and colored rocks (and 20 minutes later find themselves missing a coin purse when they have to pay to enter the city). Depending on how the players are dressed, how do the locals look at them? I had a Barovian party wearing chain mail who really didn't stand out in Krezk, but looked ridiculous in Borca. If there are any superstitious bones in the townsfolk, they may be reluctant to help a party with an elf and a dwarf in it.

Visuals are great and image searches on the internet (or from books or movies) can relate the feel of a forest at sun set, the oceanic approach to a dark island, and so on. Without spending too much time on it, describe the muddy streets of a small Barovian town so they can compare them to the cobblestone avenues of Paridon. Never underestimate the weather. A sunny day is fine. That's why I have no use for them. Make it cloudy and rainy and they will be begging for the inn they have to stay in for the night as they get sick from slugging through mud and swollen rivers. I always enjoyed the powerful warrior dead on a mountainside pass with his powerful magical armor and sword +5 laying at his side. So when my players get a magical cloak to avoid all but the worst weather, they almost breath a sigh of relief. Use your personal experiences if you can. Ever been to the beach? Ever had to haul a bunch of stuff over the sand to get to where you were going? Now imagine you are in Har'Akir and covered in chain mail and every step you take is bogging down in sand. They will miss roads really fast.

For spells, they give some idea of how they work. Fireballs arc out from your finger and explode at a predetermined point, lightning has the loud clap noise the instant it strikes, with more subtle magics reflecting that as well. An illusion or an enchantment will not have the mage swinging arms and jumping around, while a wall of fire might. I am pretty sure the 2nd Editon book Spells & Magic addresses various spells and how subtle they can be. Not sure how interested you are in that (or if a higher edition covers the same topic). I am pretty sure it even goes into how a spell sounds and smells too (if you are really interested in buying it because of that, let me know and I will specifically look in the copy I have to give you as clear of an idea about its contents).

Monster attacks are similar. A staff striking is kind of intimidating, more so than a few arrows sticking out of your chest? Not likely. A bear or wolf pack ripping into you? That's intimidating. Roll a 1 for damage? Describe the hit on their arms or the weapon (like a sword) doing blunt damage through the armor. Roll a crit that kills a foe in the same round? Take off their head or dig deep into their torso. Unless you want to, don't roll hit locations just make something up. Use it to flavor things like when your ranger fumbled his attack and rattled his hand so bad it aches (no effect on combat, but he will notice the sting when the local militia commander shakes their hand after the battle). Be creative, not every attack has to be hack and slash. The full plate covered warrior swinging his sword at the docks? Shove them into the water. Better chance to be hit (don't have to bypass the armor) and you take them out of combat (maybe even drowning them in the process). A giant or ogre may take a smaller foe and grab them one round and throw them the next. Why? Maybe because on hit would kill that player (or another one nearby) and this wastes a round setting up something that they will likely not forget. Orcs will aim for the mount of a guy charging at them and let gravity handle the rest. The smarter the opponent, the better they will handle these things. Strahd and Azalin? I never set up their memorized spells and I let them cast what they can when they need it (never exceeding spell allotments of course). Use smart people like smart people would.

Player knowledge about the nations and the concept about the nature of the world around should be very limited. Most teens and adults in the modern world possess as much knowledge as some scholars in Ravenloft. Commoners have no idea what a domain is (country? maybe.), what the Vistani truly are and able to do, what are darklords and who they are. Strahd von Zarovich XI is the undisputed leader of Barovia, while the ageless beauty of Borca, Sefesa Ivana Boritsi is the one in charge. They should not know that they are cursed, how they are cursed, or that they can control the very land around them in various ways. Don't warn them about power checks. Roll for them when warranted. Pass or fail, describe what happens. The icy touch along their spines or the chilling breath of something lurking behind their ear, if they fail they feel its presence and then it's gone. If they failed, then the darkest feeling settles in their torso. Then deal with the after effects. I had a couple of players literally run up a tree, begging their gods for help. Their gods didn't answer, the Dark Powers did. They were whisked away and woke up with different surroundings, changes to their characters, and a sacrifice had been made. They lived at a cost. Think about this, the Fraternity of Shadows (in-game) is a widespread group of powerful mages who have dedicated their lives to understanding the Demiplane of Dread. It's like asking someone why is the sky blue and anyone says, "It the way the light from the sun hits the atmosphere and the light is dispersed and it looks blue." Am I right? I dunno. Sounded right. Ask a scientist, they went to school for stuff like this.
I hope to have lot of comments like this one in future! Thank you very much for your advices!

Could i ask you something more about how would you describe a failed power check? what should happen at each stage? some example?

I didnt really get what appened to your two player who beg the gods, and how did you handled it IN and OUT game. Did you speak with those player before making the change? did they do something evil to deserve such a gift, or was just a fullfilled last wish? what was the situation for which they had so much trouble from having to pray to the gods on top of a tree?

I saw that the fraternity is composed only by male evil wizard. Is it a secret society?
Is there any well written campaign journal that could I read to get some ideas and where i can find some ispirations, that you are aware of?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Nox wrote:I saw that the fraternity is composed only by male evil wizard. Is it a secret society?
Yes and Yes. Canonically, you can read about them in Domains of Dread, Gazetteer II, and Van Richten's Arsenal (Lord Balfour's NPC entry). We've expanded on them in our netbooks, notably Quoth the Raven 10 and 13, and the USS 2002.
Is there any well written campaign journal that could I read to get some ideas and where i can find some ispirations, that you are aware of?
Take your pick:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/TheVeranda.html

I'm particularly fond of Jennifer's, and Joel's. And especially Stu's. (Stu Turner, of the Kargatane, later to go on to write some of the 3e RL books. His journal was the one that first taught me that a campaign could be more than a string of modules stuck together.)

I would humbly also mention my own: http://www.themistway.com (though I wouldn't presume to call it well written, I hope it might hold some inspiration)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Nox wrote: I hope to have lot of comments like this one in future! Thank you very much for your advices!

Could i ask you something more about how would you describe a failed power check? what should happen at each stage? some example?

I didnt really get what appened to your two player who beg the gods, and how did you handled it IN and OUT game. Did you speak with those player before making the change? did they do something evil to deserve such a gift, or was just a fullfilled last wish? what was the situation for which they had so much trouble from having to pray to the gods on top of a tree?

I saw that the fraternity is composed only by male evil wizard. Is it a secret society?
A failed powers check can be a subtle changing of temperature, an odd feeling like one was being watched, the shadows deepening around them. Especially if they were willingly doing some one harm. When it comes up (example: my player threatens a man's innocent child trying to gain information about a relative whom they are protecting), I ask the player again if that is what they are doing (to ensure it is not an out of game comment they are not really doing) and then I grab the Domains of Dread (which I only grab for fear, horror, madness, and power checks) and they then either take it back or hold to their guns. If they do then I would toss the dice and reveal what didn't or did not transpire. As they are threatening, they may see movement to the sides of their vision which may disappear after the situation ends (assuming they don't incur the wrath of the Dark Powers). If they fail the check, the 'visions' may distract them to the left side, only to bring their eyes to the right and appear as something moving very quickly towards their head. Then continue the encounter, bringing any results they will have to dealt with at a later time. If you had a player making more checks over time and progressing down the path of darkness, you could build upon the same thing until a dark spectre is hovering in the background whispering things into their ears to provoke an action and 'bring them into the fold'. You cannot say they didn't see them coming. It is deliberate and really hard to back out of when keeping to their convictions. Granted really minor transgressions should reflect that. Using a speak with dead spell to talk to a monster hunter who once fought a vampire now killing others in the area is not the worst thing. But it can still happen when one toys with the dead magics, maybe the failed check makes them a cold one or grants them ghost sight, etc.

Two of my players were running in the forests of Tempest and they ran across an evil treant (I believe, maybe undead) and it began chasing after them. They climbed up a tree trying to escape and realized they had used all of their offensive spells for the day and lacked other items capable of harming it. The mage (known crazy person which has kept more power checks at bay for her) was begging (bear with me) Squirrel Jesus for help. She was begging for a deity she made up. For help. From a treant. While in a tree. I rolled some dice and said, "The odd thing is in Ravenloft, you can ask for help. Just don't be surprised who answers. So they were finally shaken loose and fell into darkness. They both awoke the next day outside the other player's campsite and their two pets were laying next to them dead (a sacrifice, life for a life). They had become immune from cold damage, but now could no longer bear the light of the sun. The others were very wary and kept thinking they are some sort of vampires (they were still alive) and the afflicted players had no clue. I had sent them messages about the damage they were taking, but did not tell them what had happened and how they had changed. Nothing confuses and pains veteran players like them being unaware of what they are fighting and what different thing is happening to their characters.

The Fraternity of Shadows is a group of high level illusionists that seek to gain knowledge and (in most cases) control of the Demiplane of Dread. The Domains of Dread say they are all male, but you can change that or say a few members are women (they are master illusionists by the way). The are spread out all over and work individually towards that goal (although they do work together by sharing information, generally in exchange). There should be something in other editions about them, but I am unaware of them. There are netbooks with information on the group. Check out The Undead Sea Scrolls 2002 (first two sections) and Quoth the Raven #10 (the Forum Netzine) on page 19 with a prestige class on page 45. Given their secretive and loner nature, the players may never realize they are assisting a member of the Fraternity. They have a secret ring that they use for identification to other members and that may be the only lead a party ever has. I cannot think of any specific source materials from a campaign on this site about the Fraternity.
Last edited by Dark Angel on Tue May 03, 2016 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Nox wrote:I saw that the fraternity is composed only by male evil wizard. Is it a secret society?
Yes and Yes. Canonically, you can read about them in Domains of Dread, Gazetteer II, and Van Richten's Arsenal (Lord Balfour's NPC entry). We've expanded on them in our netbooks, notably Quoth the Raven 10 and 13, and the USS 2002.
Take your pick:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/TheVeranda.html

I'm particularly fond of Jennifer's, and Joel's. And especially Stu's. (Stu Turner, of the Kargatane, later to go on to write some of the 3e RL books. His journal was the one that first taught me that a campaign could be more than a string of modules stuck together.)

I would humbly also mention my own: http://www.themistway.com (though I wouldn't presume to call it well written, I hope it might hold some inspiration)
Not too surprising, but ya beat me by ten minutes, Gonzoron!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Dark Angel wrote:Not too surprising, but ya beat me by ten minutes, Gonzoron!
Always on duty! ;) But you were more elaborate...
Dark Angel wrote:I cannot think of any specific source materials from a campaign on this site about the Fraternity.
Hmm... I'm not sure if Nox meant campaign journals specifically about the Fraternity, or just Ravenloft campaign journals in general to provide inspiration. I did have some dealings with the FoS in my campaign, specifically in Session 24 (though Lord Balfour has been known to the party since Session 9, but has played the part of patron until being recently exposed).

We had a recent thread on using the FoS in-game here:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... f=1&t=9604

(if that's what Nox was looking for...)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Nox
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nox »

Dark Angel wrote:
Nox wrote: I hope to have lot of comments like this one in future! Thank you very much for your advices!

A failed powers check can be a subtle changing of temperature, an odd feeling like one was being watched, the shadows deepening around them. Especially if they were willingly doing some one harm. When it comes up (example: my player threatens a man's innocent child trying to gain information about a relative whom they are protecting), I ask the player again if that is what they are doing (to ensure it is not an out of game comment they are not really doing) and then I grab the Domains of Dread (which I only grab for fear, horror, madness, and power checks) and they then either take it back or hold to their guns. If they do then I would toss the dice and reveal what didn't or did not transpire. As they are threatening, they may see movement to the sides of their vision which may disappear after the situation ends (assuming they don't incur the wrath of the Dark Powers). If they fail the check, the 'visions' may distract them to the left side, only to bring their eyes to the right and appear as something moving very quickly towards their head. Then continue the encounter, bringing any results they will have to dealt with at a later time. If you had a player making more checks over time and progressing down the path of darkness, you could build upon the same thing until a dark spectre is hovering in the background whispering things into their ears to provoke an action and 'bring them into the fold'. You cannot say they didn't see them coming. It is deliberate and really hard to back out of when keeping to their convictions. Granted really minor transgressions should reflect that. Using a speak with dead spell to talk to a monster hunter who once fought a vampire now killing others in the area is not the worst thing. But it can still happen when one toys with the dead magics, maybe the failed check makes them a cold one or grants them ghost sight, etc.

Two of my players were running in the forests of Tempest and they ran across an evil treant (I believe, maybe undead) and it began chasing after them. They climbed up a tree trying to escape and realized they had used all of their offensive spells for the day and lacked other items capable of harming it. The mage (known crazy person which has kept more power checks at bay for her) was begging (bear with me) Squirrel Jesus for help. She was begging for a deity she made up. For help. From a treant. While in a tree. I rolled some dice and said, "The odd thing is in Ravenloft, you can ask for help. Just don't be surprised who answers. So they were finally shaken loose and fell into darkness. They both awoke the next day outside the other player's campsite and their two pets were laying next to them dead (a sacrifice, life for a life). They had become immune from cold damage, but now could no longer bear the light of the sun. The others were very wary and kept thinking they are some sort of vampires (they were still alive) and the afflicted players had no clue. I had sent them messages about the damage they were taking, but did not tell them what had happened and how they had changed. Nothing confuses and pains veteran players like them being unaware of what they are fighting and what different thing is happening to their characters.

The Fraternity of Shadows is a group of high level illusionists that seek to gain knowledge and (in most cases) control of the Demiplane of Dread. The Domains of Dread say they are all male, but you can change that or say a few members are women (they are master illusionists by the way). The are spread out all over and work individually towards that goal (although they do work together by sharing information, generally in exchange). There should be something in other editions about them, but I am unaware of them. There are netbooks with information on the group. Check out The Undead Sea Scrolls 2002 (first two sections) and Quoth the Raven #10 (the Forum Netzine) on page 19 with a prestige class on page 45. Given their secretive and loner nature, the players may never realize they are assisting a member of the Fraternity. They have a secret ring that they use for identification to other members and that may be the only lead a party ever has. I cannot think of any specific source materials from a campaign on this site about the Fraternity.
It's an interesting story but i dont fully understand how did they deserve that "punishment". I mean, from what you said, the characters werent doing anything bad.( Except the mage was crazy and tendent towards evil deeds). I dont get if it has been a semi-random "dark power took your prayer, and you are safe, but for a price" or a "Your evil deeds captured some attention and someone answer your call. But for a price". It's quite different i suppose! Anyhow it is a nice event.

about the fraternity, could one player fake his alignment to enter the fraternity? on ravenloft there is no detect alignment so... technically it should be possible right?
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Dark Angel wrote:Not too surprising, but ya beat me by ten minutes, Gonzoron!
Always on duty! ;) But you were more elaborate...
Dark Angel wrote:I cannot think of any specific source materials from a campaign on this site about the Fraternity.
Hmm... I'm not sure if Nox meant campaign journals specifically about the Fraternity, or just Ravenloft campaign journals in general to provide inspiration. I did have some dealings with the FoS in my campaign, specifically in Session 24 (though Lord Balfour has been known to the party since Session 9, but has played the part of patron until being recently exposed).

We had a recent thread on using the FoS in-game here:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... f=1&t=9604

(if that's what Nox was looking for...)
I meant just ravenloft campaign journals in general, for inspiration! :) I will read some of your journal as soon as i can, for sure!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

By the way, if you want some examples of how to actually run a game (how to handle descriptions and the like) you have a great resource at your fingertips. There are lots of real D&D sessions captured on youtube, or streamed on twitch, etc. I don't know of any specific good examples, but a bit of searching should turn up some videos you can watch and learn from.
Nox
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nox »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:By the way, if you want some examples of how to actually run a game (how to handle descriptions and the like) you have a great resource at your fingertips. There are lots of real D&D sessions captured on youtube, or streamed on twitch, etc. I don't know of any specific good examples, but a bit of searching should turn up some videos you can watch and learn from.
Thank you, I watched some YouTube sessions, but very few of them captured my attention and curiosity. Anyhow since we are talking about DM-ing one little question about skills and hidden objects.

I looked around Google to find answers but they were all different from each other.

How do you handle spot/search/listen checks in your campaigns? Expecially for hidden object like traps, hidden walls and those kind of things.

Do you ask your player a check whenever it's needed? Do you wait untill they ask you to do those checks, and if they don't they trigger the trap? Do you roll those checks for them?
And what about the "take 10/20 to the check? Do you allow it for those kind of objects? If not, why?
I feel like they if I ask for the checks they will metagame it and be extremely careful about that area.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Nox wrote: How do you handle spot/search/listen checks in your campaigns? Expecially for hidden object like traps, hidden walls and those kind of things.

Do you ask your player a check whenever it's needed? Do you wait untill they ask you to do those checks, and if they don't they trigger the trap? Do you roll those checks for them?
And what about the "take 10/20 to the check? Do you allow it for those kind of objects? If not, why?
I feel like they if I ask for the checks they will metagame it and be extremely careful about that area.
I just flat out ask them to roll a d20 and look at their sheets for the relevant skills. If they rolled well enough to notice something, then I tell them. If they didn't, I don't say word. Many times I ask for them to roll for no reason and they get very paranoid. Very. And it is awesome. There will be times you will want to roll for these things in secret on their behalf (and not just for those skills) as a really high or low roll will make them suspicious. If the thief rolls a 1 looking for traps, they know the rolled bad and will try to get another chance at it or have some one else try. If they ask do I see anything or anyone, I will roll for them. If there is no one there I will say you don't SEE anything (not "There is nothing there"). The first is a conclusion (which could be wrong) and the second is a fact (at least sounds like one). There are times when they may notice something, other times where they have to actually look around. A face popping down behind a bush while walking outside? Regular check. A trip wire in the leaves off the trail? Those are the things they have to slow down and look for. I have allowed players to roll if they spot a trap or concealed thing while casually looking through the area, but they get a bigger penalty to do so (depending on how obvious it is). If they want to take time looking for things, then I allow it. But they have to be looking first. If they claim they are always looking, then think about Castle Ravenloft or Castle Avernus. Months would be spent looking for traps, checking every wall, floor and ceiling, and searching every corner. I hope your group is not that ludicrous (Strahd and Azalin are not).

My group has a very specific routine for things like opening suspicious doors. The one character has a sword that detects large traps. They then have the thief check for traps, see if the door is locked and then listen for noise on the other side. The whole process takes about 5-8 minutes and they know that. They don't always claim they are following that protocol without announcing it. I had them enter a keep and the first one in fell into a pit. The rest of the time they were following their procedure above. Only that one door was trapped. And henchmen opened the other doors too; what a bunch of heroes I got at my table, right?

If the group is acting on knowledge their characters wouldn't have, I would not allow it at all. Once you allow that, they will go as far as they can. You will have the boy scout playing a priest 'just knowing' about fire building and primitive shelter construction and the Nova Vaasi fighter being played by the chemistry major who is trying to combine a very specific set of ingredients to make gunpowder. If they want to make PCs with those skills? Go for it. It really add to the flavor of the character when they can contribute something else from their real lives.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Nox wrote:How do you handle spot/search/listen checks in your campaigns? Expecially for hidden object like traps, hidden walls and those kind of things.

For spot/listen (or Perception in PF) I like to get their bonuses at the start of the session and write them behind the DM screen. Then make the checks as I see fit, so if they fail, they don't know something's up. But sometimes I get lazy and forget to do that, and just ask for the checks when I want them. The key in that case is to sometimes ask when there's nothing to notice, so they stay paranoid, and don't know for sure when they missed something.

Search is active, though. that they have to ask for.

REgardless, all of these should probably be rolled in secret in the ideal case, so they don't know if they blew it or rolled a 20.
If they meet the qualifications, sure.
Exactly. So either ask for Spot/Listen often or roll them yourself, and make them specifically ask to search.
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hazgarn »

Nox wrote:
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:By the way, if you want some examples of how to actually run a game (how to handle descriptions and the like) you have a great resource at your fingertips. There are lots of real D&D sessions captured on youtube, or streamed on twitch, etc. I don't know of any specific good examples, but a bit of searching should turn up some videos you can watch and learn from.
Thank you, I watched some YouTube sessions, but very few of them captured my attention and curiosity. Anyhow since we are talking about DM-ing one little question about skills and hidden objects.
If you haven't checked it out before, Critical Role is a great campaign to watch. The DM and players are all professional voice actors, and it's pretty entertaining. The DM, Matt Mercer, also has a series of short videos of tips for beginning gamemasters.

GreatGM is another youtube source for game-running tips, though I've only had a chance to watch a few of the videos so far.
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
Nox
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nox »

Hazgarn wrote:
Nox wrote:
If you haven't checked it out before, Critical Role is a great campaign to watch. The DM and players are all professional voice actors, and it's pretty entertaining. The DM, Matt Mercer, also has a series of short videos of tips for beginning gamemasters.

GreatGM is another youtube source for game-running tips, though I've only had a chance to watch a few of the videos so far.
I sometime watch dawnforgedcast. I will surely take a look at them!
Since we play in italian sometimes become hard to emulate dialects, and most advice are hard to adjust for italian, because our dialects are totally different from american's(and since we[italians] like to joke about our dialect [ :mrgreen: We-we. ramm na' pizz cu a' mozzarèll! - Neapolitan phrase meaning: Eh-yo, gimme some pizza with mozzarella! :mrgreen: ], if I use them in a campaign it will sound rediculous or hilarious, that is not what I want from an horror campaign :D. Even if sometimes i do it on purpose to lower the stress, or to let them take a breath. Immagine a big warrior come at you and say: "Uè, ti shcass a capa, puoz ietta sang!" - Neapolitan phrase meaning: Ehi you! I will smash your head, You will spit blood! [actually "puoz ietta sang" is more like an ill omen that means "May you spit blood"], this would be hilarious and most italian player will laugh right in your face. No offence intended for neapolitans ofc, just an example. It just doesn't work. :lol:

Sadly most of the Italian player/Gm are not good player nor GM. And i'm one of them, even if I Tryhard to improve :mrgreen: . This is why there are very few italian youtube channel about D&D and most (if not all) of them are just crap... :diamabel: