Martira Bay who's who

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Chaot
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Martira Bay who's who

Post by Chaot »

I think I'll be spending significant time in Martira Bay and so am looking to put together a little digest. If you see someone missing, shout them out.

In no particular order...

Lady Mayor Baroness Karimana Reldkasen
Baron Metus, vampire
Damon Skragg, captain of the Bountiful and a ghoul lord
Watch Master Hoelgar Amutsson of the Harbor Watch
Styrix
Kazandra of the Kargatane, a vampire
The Spider, an ancient vampire
Sir Bartholomew Nylreave, member of the Kargat and a ghoul
High Cleric Derakoth, devotee of the Overseer
Tavelia, acolyte of the Overseer, vampire and highest member of Kargat in Martira Bay
Wick, gang leader
Slenem Delurian, entertainer and master of thieves' guild
Stefan Dyreth, master of the weaver's guild
Hilda and Friedrich Kreutzer, spiritualists and authors
Jim Rook, a sailmaker and a wereshark
Alanik Ray, consulting detective of the City Constabulary
Captain Baykur, vampire captain of the Mercy
Last edited by Chaot on Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Martira Bay who's who

Post by Ryan Naylor »

No additions, but Derakoth isn't a member of the Kargat.
Chaot
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Chaot »

Ah yes. Nice catch. I'm not sure why I wrote that he was.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Not a complete list yet (we're working on it! :) ) but here's what we have on Mistipedia:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Cat ... artira_Bay
looks like you've got all of those and more.

But you don't have all of these:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Cat ... artira_Bay
Depending on your timeframe, they may be useful.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Chaot
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Chaot »

Was just updating when you posted. Thanks for the links. :) I was not aware of Antonin Madrin, Captain Johnny Beetlefoot or Dr. Manticue!

The bit about The Spider was written by a certain Superintendant Bryndan Oleary, so he's added to the list.

Also, there's The Thinker locked up in Metus' tower.

Young Colin should be in there with Baykur's crew.

There's a flesh golem who apparently haunts the seas of Martira Bay, mentioned in the Monster Hunter's Compendium.

As for Martira Bay itself there are the areas:
Waterfront
West District
Guild Quarter
Merchant Quarter (with the Marketplace)
Government Square (with Government Hall)
South District
North District
East District

I'm pretty sure I'll be changing these names, as they are all pretty generic. I'm also heavily leaning towards giving the city of Martira Bay itself a nickname. I've been pondering it as a setting for a while now and still the name refuses to roll off of my tongue.

Buildings of note:
The Black Tower and clinic
the Government Palace
The Temple of the Overseer
Martira Bay City Jail

Organizations to be aware of:
The Kargat
Harbor Watch
City Constabulary
merchant, trader, bard/thieves and weaver guilds
gangs
Town Constables
zombie children weavers
Chaot
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Chaot »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Depending on your timeframe, they may be useful.
Oh man. One of the PCs is a bit of a charlatan hawking tinctures and ointments of wondrous quality. He hasn't really had a chance to do his thing yet in game (which is one of the reasons why Martira is on the radar). I foresee a young Beetlefoot making an appearance.

I'm also pretty sure I have that Dungeon magazine Sea Wolf issue in my basement. I will have to see what I can steal from it.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

For Hoelgar's backstory may I point you to The Golden Eyed Youth? It's an interesting new (amnesiac?) NPC wandering and searching for Hoelgar. The thread also has lots of details on Hoelgar himself, including his (lost?) golden dragon slayer twohander sword, and notes about conversion/rebuilding for 3E rules. You are aware that he's a Barbarian not a bard right?

BTW Stefan Dyreth is a low level Necromancer on the old TSR collecting cards and a medium level necromancer in the 3E Gazetteer. I could swear there's also fan fiction about his factory somewhere...

Also was Alanik alone there or did Arthur Sedgewick assist him already? Alanik has a few excellent short stories in one of the netbooks but I'm not sure if he's still in Martira Bay there.

Which edition do you use? If 3E or PF you might find some more generic NPCs in my old NPC thread. The link is to the NPC classes rant thread, but imho the whole thread is worth checking out.

This thread about creating new NPCs has a few from Martira Bay: Elgard Connardson (originally from there) by Joel, Anton Broax by Dion. It also has cure's version of The Spider.
Chaot
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Chaot »

The Giamarga wrote:For Hoelgar's backstory may I point you to The Golden Eyed Youth? It's an interesting new (amnesiac?) NPC wandering and searching for Hoelgar.
Thanks for pointing me that way! I loved those cards when I was a kid. I haven't looked at them in forever! I was curious as to why you asked if I knew he was not a bard. I see why you asked now.
The Giamarga wrote:I could swear there's also fan fiction about his factory somewhere...
I will keep my eye out for it. If you happen across it and link it to this thread I would be grateful as well.
The Giamarga wrote:Also was Alanik alone there or did Arthur Sedgewick assist him already? Alanik has a few excellent short stories in one of the netbooks but I'm not sure if he's still in Martira Bay there.
I'm pretty sure that Alanik is alone while in Martira. I do remember some source mentioning that he meets up with Arthur (in Mordent?) after his time in Martira.
The Giamarga wrote:Which edition do you use?
I use BRP for my game engine so I'm more interested in descriptions, backgrounds, quirks and such rather than mechanics. Thanks for the NPC threads though. I will take a look and see what strikes me. I will definitely look at the fan made Martira Bay NPCs and likely find a way to work them in at least peripherally. Because that's just good fun. :)
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

I also believe Alanik only meets Sedgwick in Mordent.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

The Kargat project by Drinnik might prove an interesting read.
Chaot
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Chaot »

The Giamarga wrote:This thread about creating new NPCs has a few from Martira Bay: Elgard Connardson (originally from there) by Joel, Anton Broax by Dion. It also has cure's version of The Spider.
So it looks like Elgard just says that he's from Martira but that he's lying about it. Broax has definite possibilities and I can totally see using him. I think cure's The Spider is probably not meant to represent the ancient vampire from the books, but is still a very cool npc. I would kind of like hime to make an appearance but I'm not sure how yet.
The Giamarga wrote:The Kargat project by Drinnik might prove an interesting read.
Thanks for that! It was a very good read.

Currently, some of my PCs have actually been 'recruited' by Azalin and are honing their newfound nature in Dementlieu, The thought being Azalin wants an active force against his own Kargat. Azalin is fine with having minions who envy and hate him as long as their free time is taken with actual threats rather than conspiring against him. Sadly, that thread of the game is going to have to be dropped for a while as the players are moving and leaving the game. But that's all a side note. Drinnik did some great stuff on the Kargat and I will likely tap it as a resource.