So..... Dracov's dead.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Epically
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

So..... Dracov's dead.

Post by Epically »

My players in my current campaign have so far met 6(well, 5) darklords. So far, they have worked for all 6 of them.

I say 6, because Dracov is dead. Vladimir Ludzig is the new darklord, whom they've met and worked for. If he wants to seal the borders, thousands of ravenous bats don't let anyone leave. His curse; as he lives in the underground labyrinth of Lekar, he and his people can not find a way out and continuously get lost. Just when they think they've re-mapped it out. It changes again. Thus he'll never be able to usurp the city which he so desires.

I can go into a huge detail about how this whole ordeal surpassed, which in my opinion was a hell of a lot of fun as DM, and how there was a massive game of thrones played which lead to his death, but only if you guys want to read it.

Purpose of this thread is to ask how many of the darklords has your players met, and have you killed any of them off?
Epically
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: So..... Dracov's dead.

Post by Epically »

By the way, this campaign I'm talking about it two different ones, as I started a new one because my regular player went to Europe for a few weeks, so this is a fill-a-in till he gets back. They both weave together, and all the events I'm talking about are the things I mentioned in my previous thread "NPC help".
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Bats in Ludwig's bellfry?
Has the vampyre lord he become a true undead vampire?
Evil Reigns!!!!
Epically
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Epically »

Yes, yes he has. A "gift" from the dark powers. Ironically, he loves his race, and the two are almost indistinguishable under darkness which he and his people are now accustomed to, so the dark powers have made him more powerful, but screwed him over to no extent.
Cam
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Cam »

Interesting, Epically! With the darklord restricted to an underground area in one part of Falkovnia, are you going to have him maintain control over the entire domain? Reminds me of Arkandale pre-Grand Conjunction -- Nathan Timothy was restricted to one part of the domain, but was darklord of a much bigger area. Alternatively if you wanted to you could have other parts of Falkovnia disappear, be absorbed by neighboring domains, or attain their own separate darkloards. Or, you could have the labyrinth grow to extend across (under) the entire domain.

In my current campaign, the PCs have met Dominic d'Honaire (current darkloard) and Nathan Timothy (previous darkloard). One of the PCs is a (Pathfinder) Oracle, and had a vision involving Arijani (current darkloard), so I think my count is three. That's happened over the course of seven game sessions. The PCs will meet Gabrielle Aderre in our next session (I'm running a significantly-homebrew-modified version of The Evil Eye at the moment). They haven't killed any darklords yet, but I try to work at least one good darkloard death into each of my campaigns. Drakov is probably the most likely target -- I have lots of plot hooks making the Falkovnian regime a big enemy of my PCs, and IIRC Drakov doesn't have the ability to magically come back to life a day or two after death like many of the other darklords do. But who knows? My players might do something unexpected like kill Aderre in our next session after she charms one of them, or decide that they really don't want to take on Drakov no matter how many anti-Falkovnian plot hooks I dangle in front of them.
Epically
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Epically »

To be completely honest, I haven't considered the scope of his rule yet. The entire session, darklord regime change included, was made up on the spot. I had to think of something quick because I didn't want Gondegal to die just yet. Which I think i had better explain now....

Now mind you, all of this was made up on the night we played, as we played. I do thank the players for contributing most of the plot however, which will make sense after the read. Won't go through every detail, just the major events.

Game starts with two level 7 evil players. A fighter/jugglar named Skan and a thief named Macros. The fighter is Lawful evil and the thief is neutral evil. The thief is a port character from a different campaign, and has already suffered a dark power which caused his eyes to turn jet black, however he gets perfect night vision. How he got this plays a major element into the story which I will get to later.

He gets drawn back into Ravenloft via the mists (he escaped during the Grand Conjuction and entered Dragonlance) and finds himself outside of Skald.

To cut a long story of mini-stories short, he finds a friend, who is the fighter, who is just as evil as he is.
They end up getting in bed with Harkon Lucas, who eventually reveals his were nature. Reason for this was because he needed them to find a way to stop mother fury and her lycans before Harkon is forced to kill the human population. (Stolen from DM resources here)

Their solution was to find another domain and convince them to send an army to wipe out the lycan threat with promises of future help. (They didn't know at this time how useless Kartakass is in the scheme of things at this point... Also at this point apparently they had confided with each other and their plan was to completely wipe out ALL weres in Kartakass and usurp control of the domain, which I didn't find out until later.)

First stop was Barovia where they sought out Strahd to ask for aid. (The thief player knows in game of darklords, but doesn't know who all of them are, they just naturally assumed the darklord of each domain was the governing body.)
After the mentioned a war was coming (lycan vs were) Strahd laughed and said there was already a war, Falkovnia invaded Dementlieu A couple weeks ago. And regardless of the situation, he didn't care about it anyway, as a lycan threat is no threat to him. They asked if he didn't want to get involved, would he at least allow safe passage of another army to pass through to sort it out. He said only if you find out what has happened to Azalin Rex. (This game started a couple weeks after the Requiem.

Next place on the road was Borca. Eventually found Ivan and asked for their help. They said they couldn't help at the moment because Dementlieu is currently occupied and they're obligated by the four towers treaty to help. However, Borca and the other two domains aren't helping at the moment because Dementlieu is in a state of turmoil at the moment, prompting Dracov to invade and the rest of the four towers don't want to help until their government sorts out it's problems.
Also, they don't believe the lycan threat is a real threat anyway.

The guys asked if they could re-direct Falkovnian forces into Kartakass, would they allow passage. Ivan said yes, as it moves them out of Dementlieu, and on the condition they bypass all Borcan towns. Granted he still believed these efforts to be futile.

Next they went to go see Ivana, under no direction from Ivan, to let her know what was happening and so she could persuade the people of Borca not to feel threatened or scared of potential Falkovnian forces moving through.

She didn't care in the slightest, but feigned interest in order to seduce Skan - which she did. I couldn't find a whole lot of information in the short time I had to come up with an idea with Borca as it's one of my least known about domains, but I had read something about a kiss of death. He passed his save and went unconscious.

Meanwhile, a worker of her estate told Macros what she does to men, and where she disposed of them. He escaped the estate to find the mass graves where she buries them, where Skan was buried.

Skan manages to dig himself out through some awesome dice rolling, and the two of them then went to Lekar, Falkovnia.

They managed to get their way into Dracov's castle and had a chat with him. Now here's where a bit of history with Macros needs to come into play.

Macros has been to Falkovnia before. 10 years ago, a few weeks before the grand conjuction. He and the party gained favour from Dracov for rescuing one of his falcons. (Also stolen from DM resources here) He set the party up in town, after of course they pledged their allegiance and got branded, and shortly afterwards, Macros started doing some thieving around time at night which caught the attention of Vlad Ludzig. They had a conversation and he made an agreement with Macros that if he delivers people to this one house in the poor district, he would in time reward him with power and set him up with a theives guild - Macros' long term goal.
Agreeing, Macros starting kidnapping people, which is how he earned his first dark power. Shortly after, Dracov tasked them with finding a suspected defected Talon, believed to have joined the Freemen of Falkovnia.
Clues lead to their hideout, where they met Gondegal. Gondegal believed the heroes (I say heroes because Macros was the only evil player in the game and did a very good job of hiding it) would be a perfect 'insider' and asked them to join the Freemen, which of course they did. In order to maintain the illusion of working for Dracov, the defected Talon sacrificed himself so the heroes could bring back evidence, as well as a dead defected Talon.

Dracov loved it, and they promptly became trusted informats.
.... I honestly can't remember how it happened, but for some reason he sent them to Darkon. I think it was to spy on the Kargat or something. Gondegal asked them while they were there, to try and locate and item for them, which they never ended up finding. Then blah blah blah, nothing to do with this story. Just needed that important bit about Dracov, Gondegal and Ludzig.

Gaining audience with Dracov, Dracov remembered Macros, and after an actual honest story of where Macros has been the last 10 years, he was happy to hear the two villains out.
They told their plight, but Dracov was in no interest to pull his forces out of occupied Chatafeux, as it's the closest he's had to victory in years.

He said he'd consider helping them out after his campaign, if they destroyed the Freemen of Falkovnia for him. Agreeing, the two suggested they should have mock executions and a "daring escape" to convince the resistance they're on their side, just in case there were spies in the city. A good plan.

During their "executions", they were rescued by none other than Ludzig, who he and a small portion of his people masacared the square.
Same as Dracov, Vlad wanted to know where Macros has been all these years. Same explanation, and he was happy - apart from the fact Macros owed a lot of bodies. Then Ludzig revealed the bodies were 'cattle' to feed his race, which the two of them had no problem with.
The two came up with a plan to hand the resistance over to the vampyres thus solving two birds with one stone.

They went to the old hideout, which was abandoned apart from a map which showed arrows from Borca, Richemelont and Mordent pushing into Chatafeux, then into Lekar.

They took this back to Dracov where they suggested he should offer terms of surrender before all these other domains attack. Agreeing, Dracov said he will offer terms, and see what happens then.

Macros and Skan then went back to Ludzig to let him know there needed to be a plan B for people. The two then came up with a plan to actually get the poor to come straight to his door.
They gathered some gold, went to the gladiator games, and sat with the peasants. They gave a few of them gold coins, told them there was more where this came from if they go to this address, secretly to be collected by the vampyres and then the gold comes back straight back to them.
This is where Skan earned his first dark power. His tongue split in two, and he gained the ability to cast suggestion via talking once per day.

From there, the two went off to Necropolis, because they still had to find out what happened to Azalin.

... There's still a lot more to come, I'm just at work at the moment. I'll finish it when I get home. Oh, all of this happened in two sessions lol. LONG sessions.
Epically
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Epically »

The pair found there way to Il Aluk. Luckily, a few birds happen to fly into the veil and die instantly. After several attempts at contacting someone, they themselves got contacted by Kazzandra.
They mentioned that they're trying to get Falkovnia to attack Kartakass. She mentioned that they share mutual interests, as she wants Falkovnia to divert their attention towards Necropolis. In fact, she also revealed to instigated the war between Falkovnia and Dementlieu via the means of a different adventuring party. (The other group where my main campaign lies, however they're still in Il Aluk moments after the Requiem)

Kazzandra asked why they want them to attack Kartakass, to which they wanted to eliminate the lycan threat. She mentioned she knows the perfect people. They're lead to the Metropolis to where they meet some Kargat Lycans who don't like the idea of lycan elimination. They bluff their way out of it, and eventually get to the topic of Azalin. She tells them he's gone, but she has no idea where, which is why she's trying to prevent the incursion of Falkovnia. She says if she can lead Falkovnia away from Necropolis, they will have good standing with her, and can help set up their now thieves/assassins guild. She tells them to tell Strahd that Azalin is gone, and not coming back because it will piss him off to know end, and if Azalin does come back, she'll be in good standing with Azalin.

The players then head back to Falkovnia to see how the surrender went. Dracov tells them extremely well, his terms were surrender ultimately and acknowledge him as their ruler. They accepted under a condition of their own. Withdraw forces, only leaving a small garrison to occupy wherever to watch over the domain. Dracov gladly accepted.
To this, he thanked the two deviants and said now that that's done, he can help with the lycan problem since he still has majority of his forces.

The two then travelled to Borca, first to speak with Ivan and make sure their deal was still on, which it was. Next to Barovia to speak with Strahd.

The news of Azalin did not bode well, and Stahd was furious. However, he honored his deal.

Next to Kartakass, to deliver the good news. This was welcome to Harkon.

The boys then decided to meet the Falkovnian army half way and tell them to wipe out everything so they can usurp. However, they continued to travel north and all they met was what remained of Dracov's army: death.

Then went back to Lekar to find out that Gondegal had wiped out Dracov's army, and Dracov himself. Gondegal remembered Macros, then thanked them both because this was all accomplished by the two of them. They then mentioned there's an internal threat below the city: Vlad Ludzig. They offered to go make negotiations with them has they have pass dealings, and asked not to be judged. Gondegal said he regrets his past, and won't hold it against them.

They went to go see Vlad, to discover he means to take Lekar and has so for the last 10 years. No negotiations are met. They travel back to the castle and tell Gondegal that they will attack in 1 week, even though they KNOW it's in two days time. They suggest he and the council leaves, as they intended to. Gondegal refuses saying he must try and evacuate as many people as he can.
They part ways, and the two decide to go to Sithicus, as Gondegal mentions he has a friend who they can seek aid from if required, even though Gondegal said he would help with the lycan problem once the internal threat disappeared.

The two try to leave the domain two days later only to discover the wall of bats. After another 3 days, they head back to Lekar, only to find it completely and utterly deserted.
They then went to Stenengrad, which is where Gondegal said he was trying to evacuate his people to. They found Gondegal who said there was no attack and they managed to get everyone out. They told Gondegal about the bats, but when they checked the border the bats were gone. Gondegal thanked them again, then they went to Sithicus, where we left it.

What they don't done is about Ludzig, who you already know what happened there.

Gondegal however is interesting. Gondegal rallied together the four towers treaty, who equally hate Dracov. They told Dementlieu to accept the surrender, because they knew the army would soon travel through Borca, thanks to the two players. There, they rallied 4 armies, destroyed Dracov's army and then marched on Lekar to finish off Dracov once and for all.

That's everything.

From here, I would love if anyone had any information on how Lord Soth left Ravenloft. I got no idea how he got out, which I want to play in the next couple games with them, as I'm pretty sure he got out around the time they're in now, which is one year after they first left Kartakass.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Sounds like you have an interesting (if convoluted) game set up there. Skarn and Macros sound like they're really a pair of double dealers, trying to play up everybody for their own advantage. Ironic they got played by Gondegal.

As for Lord Soth, you can find some information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Soth

and here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Soth

Basically what happened was Lord Soth wallowed so much in despair and self-pity, reliving bits and pieces of his past in mirror worlds, the Dark Powers let him return back to Krynn and made Inza the darklord. His disappearance from Ravenloft was marked with the Hour of Screaming Shadows.

After he returns to Krynn, he abandons Takhisis and pledges to reform himself, but dies in the process. He vows to redeem himself searching for his lost wife and son in the afterlife. Dragon 351 intimates that a White Rose version of Soth is running around in Sithicus opposing Inza and her corruption.
Epically
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Epically »

Convoluted to say the least lol. Although I did think I did pretty well to come out with all the outcomes of what the players wanted to do on the spot.
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

So do you think Drakov's children and bastards will be jockeying to fill the power vacuum on the surface? Vigo Drakov in particular is gonna be a barrel of laffs.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

That sounds like a potentially awesome situation with the sons fighting for power. For added thoughtfulness, you could introduce one son who's actually fairly enlightened and sympathetic, and one so who's largely incompetent. The easy storyline would be supporting the good son and opposing the bad son... but what if you WANT the incompetent side to take power?

Right now my campaign is focusing on an invasion attempt by the Falkovnians into Darkon, with occupation of Nartok and eventually Rivalis, followed by a lighting strike at Avernus. One of the main campaigns for the Darkonian side is to target the Falkovnian leadership and try to assassinate or discredit the top brass, and they can go two ways with this:

The Falkovnians have two military leaders trying to assert control. General Vyacheslav Radensky is a relatively moderate-minded man who doesn't mistreat civilians: he's a career soldier whose sole objective is to achieve the campaign's objective of regime change in Darkon. On the other side, they have Mircea Drakov, who's a purely political appointee and who's a violent boor. His presence does the invasion more harm than good, because he's not a career soldier and doesn't contribute much - but he must be included to ensure the political obedience of the military leaders (rather like a Soviet commissar or political officer in a Soviet fighting force).

Obviously, assassinating either of these leaders will hurt the Falkovnian army leadership. But one is a competent high officer and the other is more harm than good. So the canny PCs who want to really hurt the invasion will assassinate the "nice" leader and leave the "nasty" leader in charge. His depredations and ill-treatment of the Darkonian civilians will incite much more civilian opposition and resistance to the foreign army, slowing the invasion much earlier.

Of course, the immediate result for the Darkonian civilians will be much worse... Rather like killing the honorable Prussian-trained Field Marshal and putting the ravenous Nazi Party military appointee in charge of the Caucasus Army Group.
Epically
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Epically »

I'm gonna take my focus away from Falkovnia for a little bit. The players decided they didn't want to hang around there as it seemed pointless to them. I like your ideas though! Story sounds cool, I like roleplaying more than combat. These two guys haven't been in a single combat yet.

Sithicus is where they're headed, so I need to learn how Soth ended up leaving. The book I think describes it if I'm not mistaken.
Epically
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Epically »

I've been reading Gaz IV, about Inza, but I can't work out what her curse is. Could be that it's 5:26am, but I don't know.

Do you guys know?
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

Darklords - My players met Adam and Dr. Mordenheim both, getting caught between a convoluted plot involving both of them. End result: while trying to save a friendly NPC, they accidentally killed her, broke all of Elise's life support equipment, shot Mordenheim in the chest, and shoved Adam off a cliff. Bottom line is that they wound up making the situation much worse, and ended up fleeing Lamordia. (Although the two have since forgotten about the PCs, having gone back to their own hateful feuding.)

Godefroy tried to correspond anonymously with the PCs once a rumor began starting that one of them is an exiled Blackburn-Bruce, hoping to drive a wedge between the party so that he could isolate and manipulate that PC into marrying Laurie and continuing some kind of nobility. Alas, the PC smelt a rat and refused to correspond secretly with an anonymous benefactor.

Finally, the PCs got involved in a fight between Alfred Timothy and an NPC from one of my previous games named Beta. Siding with the wolf over the werewolf, Alfred Timothy was ousted as Darklord of Verbrek (although his father showed up at the last minute to spirit him away through the Mists).

That's it so far.
Epically
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Epically »

The PCs in the other campaign that circulates the same time as the one I just wrote, slit Victor's throat and tried to 'humanely' kill his wife. I wrote it as they both can't die, which they didn't know. They just left the domain thinking how screwed up the whole encounter was.