Sinkholes of Evil, How Do They Work?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Leliel
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Sinkholes of Evil, How Do They Work?

Post by Leliel »

Well...That.

I don't own the RDMG so, quick overview?
I am The Archangel of Night.
I am the Guardian of Shadow
I am the Vindicator of the Unknown
I am..Leliel.
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Sinkholes of Evil, How Do They Work?

Post by Jimsolo »

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Are you wanting to know how they come to be? Are you asking what the game mechanics concerning them are? If so, the game mechanics concerning what: the effects and maintenance of them? The creation of them? How to get rid of them?

Even without the Ravenloft DMG, most of the info you need is published in the 3/3.5 Ravenloft Campaign Setting.
Leliel
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Leliel »

Jimsolo wrote:I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Are you wanting to know how they come to be? Are you asking what the game mechanics concerning them are? If so, the game mechanics concerning what: the effects and maintenance of them? The creation of them? How to get rid of them?

Even without the Ravenloft DMG, most of the info you need is published in the 3/3.5 Ravenloft Campaign Setting.
Game mechanics and types. I just need it to figure out what the darklord's lair of the domain I'm making has for the traditional sinkhole.
I am..Leliel.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Think of the Seven Original Sins and you got the types of sinkholes....

Lust,
Envy,
Wrath,
Gluttony,
Sloth <--- (i'm not actually sure that's a sinkhole... type.)
Pride,
and..... what's that last one that i never remember.... ah yes.
Greed.

They have different ratings (1-5) 1 being just a little creepy, to 5 being the place is almost alive and has a living presence to drive people mad. Also they can be combined sin's so a place could be for example Envy and Greed together.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Leliel
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Leliel »

Ah. Thank you.

Part of the problem with a college kid is that I have little to spend on frivolities-in particular for a game setting for a system I have a difficult time with. I'm spectacular with fluff, but crunch continues to constantly evade me, because of the *shiver* math.
I am..Leliel.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Heh, I know how poor college kids are trust me. :D I was one not to long ago myself :D

Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

If you are familiar with the Deadlands setting, then it isn't too different from fear ratings. The description in the Marshall's Handbook gives some really good ideas of how a sinkhole of evil would affect the landscape, wildlife, and people.
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Ethereal resonance is a strengthening of any type of emotion, positive or negative. Sinkholes of evil are a specific subtype, of negative/destructive emotions, so they don't have to just be 7 deadly sins emotions - fear is obviously a major aspect as well. As well as getting in the way of ethereal creatures, they encourage that emotion to flourish. Normally that doesn't have any non-narrative effect, but if someone tries casting a spell affecting that emotion, the resonance enhances/dampens the magic (depending on whether the spell is working with or against the resonance).

And don't forget that darklords carry their own sinkholes with them, so whatever the actual resonance of their lair is, having the darklord at home makes it worse.

So Castle Ravenloft has been witness to all kinds of tragedy, torture and horror for centuries, so it's a rank 4 sinkhole with lashings of pain, fear, sorrow and betrayal. Strahd himself is a portable sinkhole of obsession and regret. And when they're together, the area around Strahd is a rank 5 sinkhole with all of those flavours.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Ryan Naylor wrote:Ethereal resonance is a strengthening of any type of emotion, positive or negative. Sinkholes of evil are a specific subtype, of negative/destructive emotions, so they don't have to just be 7 deadly sins emotions - fear is obviously a major aspect as well. As well as getting in the way of ethereal creatures, they encourage that emotion to flourish. Normally that doesn't have any non-narrative effect, but if someone tries casting a spell affecting that emotion, the resonance enhances/dampens the magic (depending on whether the spell is working with or against the resonance).

And don't forget that darklords carry their own sinkholes with them, so whatever the actual resonance of their lair is, having the darklord at home makes it worse.

So Castle Ravenloft has been witness to all kinds of tragedy, torture and horror for centuries, so it's a rank 4 sinkhole with lashings of pain, fear, sorrow and betrayal. Strahd himself is a portable sinkhole of obsession and regret. And when they're together, the area around Strahd is a rank 5 sinkhole with all of those flavours.
Well the rules for a Sinkhole 5 I think would take it to extreme.... I would never want to go in there if it was a sinkhole 5.... o.O' it has the.... Phantasism at that point that drives you crazy? What was it.... DC20 Madness save every hour your in there? I could see the Sinkhole 4 but I don't know if I'd combine them when Strahd's home.... Just personal preference.

Though I am now curious with Darklords having their sinkholes travel with them.... I was under the impression the fear of the place by hundreds of people caused sinkholes....

If someone gains noteriety in a large area causing fear then they become a movable sinkhole by your standards Ryan?

Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Not all rank 5 sinkholes of evil are phantasmagora.

Darklords are a special case, because the lord is the land and they're superheated concentrations of evil and intense emotions. Canonically, only darklords generate a mobile sinkhole of evil. There might be other cases, particularly due to failed Powers Checks.

And again, it's not just fear that generates sinkholes. It's any negative emotion. Potentially any emotion, really - Jacqueline Renier's sinkhole would probably be imbued with passion generally, since she's a lusty creature in all the senses of the word.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Ryan Naylor wrote:Not all rank 5 sinkholes of evil are phantasmagora.

Darklords are a special case, because the lord is the land and they're superheated concentrations of evil and intense emotions. Canonically, only darklords generate a mobile sinkhole of evil. There might be other cases, particularly due to failed Powers Checks.

And again, it's not just fear that generates sinkholes. It's any negative emotion. Potentially any emotion, really - Jacqueline Renier's sinkhole would probably be imbued with passion generally, since she's a lusty creature in all the senses of the word.
Hmmm... I really can't picture a Sinkhole 5 without some evil entity warping reality with all the 'heroes' or 'protagonists' in it.

Heh, just got done reading I, Strahd so every time that's brought up i think.... I, Strahd am the land! xD While this may be true most of the emotions generally tend to have a hint of fear in it. Jacqueline Reniers for example has a lot of fear directed towards her because hey.... if you make her ANGRY! guess what.... death is 'preferred' option. xD

Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

There are positive emotion-sinks too, in places where equally-intense positive emotions have been reinforced for many years. A centuries-old, active wedding chapel might have a high rating for love, happiness, and fulfillment, while a playground full of laughing, playful children might gain a short-lived, low-level wellspring of joy and exuberance. Such places aren't generally called "sinkholes", but they have their own ethereal resonance.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow