The Nocturnal Sea FoS Report is now out!!!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

The Nocturnal Sea FoS Report is now out!!!

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Esteemed members of the Fraternity,

It is with great excitement that we announce the release of the Nocturnal Sea FoS Report: see the main FoS page or library for download.

All the latest information on those isolated islands awaits you, as well as everything (and more!) you've always wanted to know about this treacherous, bleak sea!

Finish that bottle of Borcan bubbly and pack your things ... and don't forget your raincoat.

Adventure awaits!

Monsters!

Creepy NPCs!

Romance!

Mystery!

Tragedy!

And a very bad week for our intrepid narrator, Viktor Hazan!

We would like to thank everyone who was involved in this project, as this netbook was one of the most demanding we have produced so far. We of the Fraternity sincerely hope you'll find it worth the wait.

Please comment here, as the writers and artists were not paid much and would really appreciate your opinions.

The Fraternity of Shadows
Souragne

Last edited by Joël of the FoS on Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Now you can find out what *some* of the references in my Player's Guide meant.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

And why Meredoth's domain didn't simply go "poof" and disappear at the end of Ship of Horror, which would've made it a much shorter netbook. :wink:

And, for that matter, why I laughed myself silly when Spiteful Crow asked me if the Grabens had pulled through that module "with all of their body parts intact", last year. :twisted:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Dimitri Mazieres
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dimitri Mazieres »

Great news! I have promptly downloaded and am perusing it as I type this.

A little suggestion that I'd like to make: would it be possible to release a version with higher resolution images? As it stands, the pictures look a bit pixelated on my screen (and maybe would if printed, as well).

Either way, my most sincere congratulations on another finished project! :D
[i]"Many point out that this battle against the darkness is an impossible one, and they may well be right. Impossible or not, however, the battle for righteousness is one that only a few heroes are brave enough to undertake"[/i]
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

WOW!!! Simply Wow!!!

Already downloaded it, looked at it, and it looks pretty juicy. I haven't read it thoroughly, though (I'm at work, after all), but I can't wait to devour it!

Nice work (again), oh members of the fraternity!
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
William Blake
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

I am going to leave out the superlatives and exaggerations this time:

- Simply, a very good book. The definitive Ravenloft resource for the region
from now on. In fact, I doubt I will read a better RL book in a long while, and for me personally the one reason while I will not be interested in any new material WotC brings out, at least for now.

As for the Frat's standards, the writing is getting more and more well-rounded (if it wasn't before already), and the artwork is by far the best we have seen in a Frat publication, though I miss Stanton Fink's contributions.
The only flaw I find while reading through it for the first time is that it is sometimes too long and too detailed for my gusto as a reader; as a DM, however, I think I will praise the Great Six and their helpers whenever I use the book to prepare my campaign.

This might be the best Ravenloft fan production since the Souragne Gaz,
and, in the extensive library of the Frat stands equal to my personal all-time favorites, "The Nine of Hearts" and "The Great War Project".

The book is so well done that I find myself slipping into the usual fanboy attitude: Rather than congratulate the authors for their fine, unpaid, and completely voluntary work, my first thought after reading through it was to ask when the next Gaz comes out...

Take that as my review - and quote me, if you need it.

Amazing work, friends, thank you so much!
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Oh, and that I said that this Gaz is the best since the Souragne Gaz does mean no disrespect towards those who have worked on the Paridon Gaz.

Point is, I loved the Souragne Gaz - I ran a year-long campaign based on it;
the Paridon Gaz was nicely done as well, but I never connected to the setting like I had with the Frat's Souragne.

Just to clarify. Now, back to the Isle of Ravens for me! :)
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Rafael wrote:The only flaw I find while reading through it for the first time is that it is sometimes too long and too detailed for my gusto as a reader; as a DM, however, I think I will praise the Great Six and their helpers whenever I use the book to prepare my campaign.
That's the problem with online pdfs and no page limits, word counters, or editorial restrictions. Everything balloons. Instead of the print Gazetteers where it's "you have 35 pages to do all of Barovia" and you only do the really, really important bits and make every sentence count it's "you have, oh, a 100 pages to do Liffe. But, you know, we won't care if you go over."

I did my best to crack the editorial whip and keep it svelte (and cut swaths from the reports), savaging Rotipher's amazing work, but with this many authors...
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Rafael wrote:Oh, and that I said that this Gaz is the best since the Souragne Gaz does mean no disrespect towards those who have worked on the Paridon Gaz.

Point is, I loved the Souragne Gaz - I ran a year-long campaign based on it;
the Paridon Gaz was nicely done as well, but I never connected to the setting like I had with the Frat's Souragne.

Just to clarify. Now, back to the Isle of Ravens for me! :)
Psst don't forget the Doppleganger pdf Roti and her gang worked real hard on!
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jonathan Winters »

Wow. So cool.

Must... concentrate... on... tomorrow's... game...
Must... prepare... Not... Read...

:)

I will have to print this baby. But if it's as good as the Souragne or Paridon gaz, then congrats!

A small suggestion (and I have NO idea how hard or easy this is), would it be possible to make a nice version and a printer friendly one???
Just a thought.

Patrick

Now take a break FoS...
Hum.
Where to next? (Sorry I had to ask.)
Mysteries of Darkon (AKA Miranda Cornelius' Journal)
On hiatus while visiting Ptolus, City by the Spire, new RL-inspired campaign: Madness Rising!
www.bullonir.wikidot.com
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Jonathan Winters wrote: Where to next? (Sorry I had to ask.)

For us, there's still another big, soggy chunk of Core to explore. Why do you think I chose sea monsters for the second VRF, if not to go along with the Gazzes before and after it? :wink:

Of course, if there's sufficient fan-interest in detailing another Cluster or IoT as an open community project, like the Zherisia netbook, we'd be more than happy to host it. :D
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Of course, if there's sufficient fan-interest in detailing another Cluster or IoT as an open community project, like the Zherisia netbook, we'd be more than happy to host it. :D
Shadowlands Cluster. Please, please, I beg you on my hands and knees to give us a comprehensive, coherent history and contemporary look at Nidala, the Phantasmal Forest, and Shadowborn Manor.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

First I want to say job very well done!

I have to say that this work is on par with any of the previous gaz's released and in some ways is much better. I tip my hat to what was obviously a gret collaborative effort.

I have to admit that 400 pages for a single region is intense, however I really felt it was probably the best 400 pages I have read in a long, long time. I now want to go through every previous GAZ and give it the same treatment and expand expand expand.

I am excited to see what is next and may even attempt to throw my hat in. Again guys, thanks for everything you all did.
Vote Cthulhu! At least then we know we are going to get screwed.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Some of the best material I have read anywhere...

Minor Gramattical Errors... Not important as I poured over the text and the detailed stories...

I may have solved a lot of problems for my next planned Ravenloft game and plan to re read if my craputer doesn't give out on me...

Still wow and I read it in one night!!!

Great Job Frat members and cannot wait to see the next one...
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."