PbP

Discussing all roleplaying games
labdishwasher
Conspirator
Conspirator

PbP

Post by labdishwasher »

Is there room for a new player in any of the games that are starting, or already in play, in the Café de Nuit forum? I've always wanted to try PbP, and since I've already gotten a forum account and am here...
I'd probably have to play an Outlander, as I'm just starting to read Van Richten's guides, and learn about powers checks, the Mists, Vistani, etc etc. But hey, an outsider lost in a horrible world that he's wishing he could leave while at the same time fascinated by it is classic for such a setting, no?
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: PbP

Post by steveflam »

labdishwasher wrote:Is there room for a new player in any of the games that are starting, or already in play, in the Café de Nuit forum? I've always wanted to try PbP, and since I've already gotten a forum account and am here...
I'd probably have to play an Outlander, as I'm just starting to read Van Richten's guides, and learn about powers checks, the Mists, Vistani, etc etc. But hey, an outsider lost in a horrible world that he's wishing he could leave while at the same time fascinated by it is classic for such a setting, no?
http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... php?t=4966

Look here, ewancummins is wanting to start up a game ;)
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Re: PbP

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

labdishwasher wrote:I'd probably have to play an Outlander, as I'm just starting to read Van Richten's guides, and learn about powers checks, the Mists, Vistani, etc etc. But hey, an outsider lost in a horrible world that he's wishing he could leave while at the same time fascinated by it is classic for such a setting, no?
A classic, certainly. OTOH, these days it's generally assumed that the average Ravenloft native doesn't know all that much about the weird way the world works -- or, indeed, that there is anything weird about a world where chunks of landscape drift around in Mist -- so a PC wouldn't necessarily have to be an outlander to have never heard of Powers checks, darklords, etc. Your character could simply be a native who's blissfully ignorant about such matters, like the majority of the populace.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Yep, that's pretty much how I run things. Ordinary natives don't know about darklords or the Dark Powers. They do know about the existence of the Mists, naturally- but the phenomena associated with them are not well understood by most.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)