A second-hand question from a DM...

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Tadelin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

A second-hand question from a DM...

Post by Tadelin »

I was playing in a new group tonight, and the game of choice was Ravenloft. Something cooked up by this group's DM. At one point, while the other players were getting things organized for their characters (since no one other than myself and the DM were at all familiar with Ravenloft), we were discussing things we've read and how we view various domain lords, without giving away details to the other players. During this discussion, he asked me a question that I really can't answer.

"Who are the five children of the Gentleman Caller?"

Well... Anyone know the answer to this? I know of Malocchio is one, but I have no idea about the rest.
One of these days, I'm going to get it right. Until then, I guess I can just keep being a fool.
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

1. Malochio
2. That clown who always hangs around Ivana Boristi.
3. Some bat monster livng in Kartakass.

Don't know the others.
Hail Strahd!
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Tadelin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tadelin »

Brandi wrote:SEARCH IZ HAERD.
Brandi, please tell me that someone has hacked your account here. In all the time that I've been coming here and to SotK, I've never seen you give such a childish response to anyone's post.
One of these days, I'm going to get it right. Until then, I guess I can just keep being a fool.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Brandi might have been under the influence when posting.

After all with a name as alcoholically delicious as "brandy", I might be tempted too. ;)
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Actually, I found her answer funny...
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

I don't drink.

However, as I have been suffering a particularly prolonged bout of chronic insomnia (starting sometime around, oh, MARCH), my worser self has not been checked as much as it ought.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

I thought it was funny too, FWIW. :wink:

Tadelin:

Here's the list you were asking for, in order of their debuts in the game.

1) Malocchio [Invidia]

2) The Beast of the Hills [Kartakass]

3) Vigo Drakov [Falkovnia]

4) The Jongleur [Borca]

5) The female bandit chieftess Blood-Cat [Nova Vaasa]

Only the first two have been formally verified by the authors. Vigo's true ancestry is strongly implied in the products, while the Jongleur and Blood-Cat are suspected on the grounds that A) we know that each Gaz [prior to Borca's being delayed until Gaz IV] was intended to contain one GC offspring; and B) neither one is given any game-stats, which would've given the secret of their ancestry away.

Note that, of these five, neither the Beast nor the Blood-Cat are possible Dukkars, since both of them are female. We've also been told that the Beast of the Hills isn't evil, despite being the most monstrous-looking of the lot.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Brandi wrote:I don't drink.

However, as I have been suffering a particularly prolonged bout of chronic insomnia (starting sometime around, oh, MARCH), my worser self has not been checked as much as it ought.
I feel your pain. My sleep doctor prescribed the following:

1. Check to see if you have apnea or loud snoring. A bedpartner should be able to tell you this, or a sleep clinic if you have $$ to spare.

2. If the answer to 1. is "no" (as it was in my case) it may simply be a case of forcing yourself to sleep earlier and wake later. The doctor prescribed me 10 mg of Melatonin each night at about 7 p.m. to prepare my body for bed at 10 p.m. and then waking normally at 6 or 7 a.m.

3. Keep a sleep diary, noting when you're in bed and when you wake up. It may feel like you're sleeping enough hours but if you keep a sleep diary it can really show that you're getting less sleep than you think.

I've had insomnia on and off since I was 14 years old and it got so bad that I thought it was something everybody lived with. Turns out it's remediable. Talk to a doctor if you can.
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:
5) The female bandit chieftess Blood-Cat [Nova Vaasa]
Hmm, I don't think that's who the GC's child is in Gaz V. I think it's someone in Tepest....there's a desrciption of a grey-skinned creature that killed Gerald Ferrier's second wife and child, which re-ignites the Inquistion. This gray-skinned creature seems to me to be much more likely the GC-offspring than Chezna.
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

The Blood-Cat theory came up on the WotC boards a while back, where it was considered quite likely by most posters. I'll have to check out the "gray-skinned creature" reference to see if that seems even more plausible, although I suspect the writers would at least want to give each of the GC's kids a name/title to go by, to avoid later confusion.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

Bluebomber4evr wrote:I think it's someone in Tepest....there's a desrciption of a grey-skinned creature that killed Gerald Ferrier's second wife and child, which re-ignites the Inquistion. This gray-skinned creature seems to me to be much more likely the GC-offspring than Chezna.
If I recall correctly, S said the grey-skinned creature was a Doppelganger.
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

HuManBing wrote: 1. Check to see if you have apnea or loud snoring. A bedpartner should be able to tell you this, or a sleep clinic if you have $$ to spare.
I do only if I'm sleeping in certain positions-- and it's very easy to keep off them.
2. If the answer to 1. is "no" (as it was in my case) it may simply be a case of forcing yourself to sleep earlier and wake later. The doctor prescribed me 10 mg of Melatonin each night at about 7 p.m. to prepare my body for bed at 10 p.m. and then waking normally at 6 or 7 a.m.
I'm gonna talk with the doc about melatonin (among other health issues) when I see him Wednesday. I admit to being a bit uneasy about taking anything stronger than melatonin simply because on a bad day I fear I might take the sleeping pills with a plastic bag chaser... (and yes, that's gonna get talked about too.)

Oh, and sorry about the thread hijack, guys.
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

Spiteful Crow wrote:
Bluebomber4evr wrote:I think it's someone in Tepest....there's a desrciption of a grey-skinned creature that killed Gerald Ferrier's second wife and child, which re-ignites the Inquistion. This gray-skinned creature seems to me to be much more likely the GC-offspring than Chezna.
If I recall correctly, S said the grey-skinned creature was a Doppelganger.
Just because S believes it to be a doppleganger, that doesn't mean she's right. ;) But I guess from the description it could be a doppleganger. :?

I still don't think it's Chezna though. I see where the theory about a name/title is going, but it still seems to be really reaching in the case of Chezna. There's really nothing about her that screams "omg the GC's child!" like the others. She's thin and she's got red hair and...that's it.
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Well, the alternative would mean that the Gaz V GC-offspring is dead, as the "gray-skinned creature" was killed by vengeful Tepestani. I doubt if the writers would go to all the trouble of planting a bunch of the Caller's kids in the books, for Azalin to scheme over, only to have one of these beings the lich's plot requires already be deceased. :?