Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (cover)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Rotipher wrote:It's not an argument that anyone will ever really "win", as to which version is "better".

I should think that we Ravenloft-buffs ought to agree that: A) we'll give the new product a fair hearing, and: B) if it's not compatible with the context of the wider setting, we'll not rant at WotC -- or worse, each other -- over whether it's "the real Ravenloft" or not, but simply take what's useful and leave the rest.

My thoughts exactly. :)
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:So long as it doesn't include Sherrif von Zarovich's spellforged ninja brigade, I'll be happy.

Truth be told, Ravenloft has existed too long as a seperate entity from D&D. Part of what made this setting so apealing is its openess to DM innovation. But Ravenloft is becoming terribly complicated - with so many details and the like. Its begining to remind me of why i hated Forgotten Realms.

Perhaps a step back might be in order.
My problem with Forgotten Realms isn't the details, but the insistence on a canon based on certain authors' works. Ravenloft may be complicated, but at least nobody here is insisting that it MUST be the Gospel of WotC, or White Wolf, or whoever the hell rights belong to at any moment.
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Llana wrote:
ScS of the Fraternity wrote:So long as it doesn't include Sherrif von Zarovich's spellforged ninja brigade, I'll be happy.

Truth be told, Ravenloft has existed too long as a seperate entity from D&D. Part of what made this setting so apealing is its openess to DM innovation. But Ravenloft is becoming terribly complicated - with so many details and the like. Its begining to remind me of why i hated Forgotten Realms.

Perhaps a step back might be in order.
My problem with Forgotten Realms isn't the details, but the insistence on a canon based on certain authors' works. Ravenloft may be complicated, but at least nobody here is insisting that it MUST be the Gospel of WotC, or White Wolf, or whoever the hell rights belong to at any moment.
Which is, basically, because RL's structure makes sure that the players know few or nothing about the setting when they start playing... :twisted: And when they learn, they're often just to disturbed to protest...
Le Noir Faineant

Any previews on this book already? - It's August, after all... :)
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Do you mean this preview? ;)
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dn ... ILC-RSSDND

Yes, I'm back. Ravenloft is back, too ;)

New Ravenloft novel, reissue of a Ravenloft classic, new rules. Colour maps. Well this sounds great :)

(and hooray for d20 Dark Matter too)
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
Le Noir Faineant

Welcome back, Tec! :)

- The preview isn't that detailed, but at least we can be sure everything is running finely. BTW, the cover is featured in the *Previews*magaizine by Dynamic Forces as well, so it could well be the definite choice...

OT: What's that Dark Matter thing? :P
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

"Dark Matter" was an X-Files-inspired RPG that wasn't published for very long, but was fairly creepy while it lasted. It's not a bad choice for a d20 Modern treatment.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Le Noir Faineant

Rotipher wrote:"Dark Matter" was an X-Files-inspired RPG that wasn't published for very long, but was fairly creepy while it lasted. It's not a bad choice for a d20 Modern treatment.
Thank you! - Now, I just purchased NWoD and Warhammer FRP, so this won't have too many chances this summer... Bought a warhammer adventure called *Terror in Talabheim*, which seems kinda creepy... *Runs to the off-topic area...* :)
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Rafael wrote:Welcome back, Tec! :)

- The preview isn't that detailed, but at least we can be sure everything is running finely. BTW, the cover is featured in the *Previews*magaizine by Dynamic Forces as well, so it could well be the definite choice...

OT: What's that Dark Matter thing? :P
https://wizards.com/default.asp?x=produ ... /107697200

there is a more detailed article in www.wizards.com/d20modern but the site is not responding right now.

I just hope Monte isn't left alone in the rules, because he has a tendency towards strange game balance.
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
Le Noir Faineant

Thank you for the info. :) Sounds intersting, but is way to... modern to me... :wink: Need my misty spaces, knights and peasants, and maybe one or two vampire lords at hand... :lucas:
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

The Castle Ravenloft adventure will debut a new style of reference material to handle tactical combat play for DMs to use and is more of a test to see how fans like it for possible future use.
Gh...
Guh? :shock:
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Kel-nage
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Kel-nage »

Ummm... I was really hoping this wouldn't happen... I think they're talking about this article (and I quote: "We’re going to use a format like this in some upcoming adventures").

Not that I can see how that format adventure would even work for Castle Ravenloft. But nevermind...

Edit: would also explain how they've got it up to 120 pages...
Last edited by Kel-nage on Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Yes, I also think they are referring to that article. Well, it will be practical if they use something from a strange MM we don't have (MM I-don't know what), but well, really it doesn't seem the most suitable adventure for it.
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
doctor-evil
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by doctor-evil »

[quote="Kel-nage"]Ummm... I was really hoping this wouldn't happen... I think they're talking about this article (and I quote: "We’re going to use a format like this in some upcoming adventures").

Not that I can see how that format adventure would even work for Castle Ravenloft. But nevermind...

Oh please no... :( For the love of Ezra no...! :x

Hey, why not take all the roleplaying out of the game completely and let's just move counters around a board.

Not only would this format be exceedingly juvenile, I found it really hard to read with text boxes scattered about the page - it's just the way that the eyes scan a page. At least for someone who actually reads books and doesn't live their lives in front of a computer game. Anyway, we never use minis in our Ravenloft games, so for me a format like that would be pointless.

I have to say I much preferred the I3 example that they give in terms of encounter layout (I loved that series of modules back in the days).
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

I could see that format (hypothetically) being somewhat helpful for several of the weirder rooms in the castle, where the exact 3-D geometry of the location really impacts the course of a battle. Assuming they're really playing up elements of the 1st Edition version of Castle Ravenloft -- i.e. the "thinking gamer's dungeon-crawl" aspect, not the atmosphere or plot -- it's not totally incongruous; unfortunately, it's also inherently at odds with the thematic nature of the Ravenloft setting, post-1E. :?

Face it, folks: while this may well be a good product, I'm more and more doubtful if it's the product we'd most like it to be. Still, it deserves a chance; certainly I'll be buying it, even if I have to re-engineer a lot of it to make it work IMC.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow