Episode III SPOILERS

Books, movies, television and everything else
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Episode III SPOILERS

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I've just got back from a 12:45am showing of Episode III. I don't particularly like Star Wars, but MY GOD! This film rocked, rolled and backflipped it's way into being one of the best Star Wars films, it out shines both the prequels, obliterates Jedi and New Hope and comes close to Empire.

The best bits are when ****** attacks ****** with his ********* and then ****** with a cucumber.

But seriously, this film excelled all my expectations. The clunky dialogue between Padme and Anakin in the "love" subplot aside, this film was excellent.

But I have to ask, aside to please fans, why was Chewbacca in it?

EDIT: Now that I've had some sleep...

The fight scenes where well choreographed. If I have one complaint it was that in the Anakin/Obi-Wan fight, the shots where at strange angles, so that all you could see is white and a flash of face at some points. The Yoda/Sidious scene gave me chills. It was simply amazing.

Grievous suffers terribly from Darth Maul Syndrome, a cool character who is wasted. He's given too little screen time and is dispatched too easily and quickly.

I still want to know why Chewie was in it.

C-3PO isn't comic relief, thank god. There are humerous moments, but their more through circumstance (R2 at the beginning, for example). Jar-Jar is in it, but has one word in the entire film. Unfortunately he doesn't die.

Mace-Windu's death is over-hyped.

9.5/10.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Why was chewie in it?

Mainly to please the fans. Probably a bit to throw a bone to Peter Mayhew, who from what I've heard is a nice guy and not in the best of health. And Probably because lucas always wanted to show a bunch of wookiees. (The ewoks were wookiees in the original script of Return of the Jedi.)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
lildog7
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by lildog7 »

gonzoron wrote:Why was chewie in it?
Come on, didn't it ever strike you odd that Obi Wan just walks up to Chewie in a new hope and acts like they know each other. I found it very fitting for them to tie the wookies in.

HUGE SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I found very odd was how easy Anakin went over to the dark side and how easy he turned on his wife. First he's killing jedi and doing everything in his power to save her life then suddenly he's choking away trying to kill her himself???? Sorry but that was really weak. You don't kill youngling in cold blood because of someone you love and then turn on her too.

Other then that I found it amazing. Now I can't wait for the TV series (I'm sure you've all heard that news already)!!!!
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

I couldn't help but crack up - the Emperor's makeup was just plain stupid - and his voice modulation was hillarious. I half expected him to become Jabba the Hut.

As for Darth Vader, well they turned him into a pansy.
"Nooooooo!"
Winy loser. :evil:
Evil Reigns!!!!
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

To ScS: that's exactly what my bro said: Great, I'll now see Vader as a whiny teen

Also, here's what I thought all the while of the movie: I hate Lucas, I hate him!

Still, I cannot say if I liked it or not. Definitively better than #1&2 but never close to 4-5-6. It had more story than #1 and less mmm... crap than #2.

Still the love scene were still awful.
Last edited by Charney on Sun May 22, 2005 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
ScS of the Fraternity

Funny thing is, I kind of liked #2 better.

I know, #2 stank, but after enduring all of that garbage the last half hour was a pleasure. Its kind of like walking through the desert to get to a drinking fountain. Sure the goal is nothing special, but after enduring the hardship, the meager reward seems like a treasure.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Jennifer »

Hi all,
Hmmm, my fiance wants to go see this movie and I will probably go along, but my expectations are pretty low. Episode two was on TV the other day and speaking as a woman i cannot believe that anyone as sophisticated as a senator for the republic would fall for whiny teen anakin. Poor padme must have been really buried in her work to think that Anakin is all the universe has to offer.

jennifer
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

lildog7 wrote:Come on, didn't it ever strike you odd that Obi Wan just walks up to Chewie in a new hope and acts like they know each other. I found it very fitting for them to tie the wookies in.
Not really. You go to a spaceport to find a ship. You find a guy with a ship. Not too strange. And Obiwan didn't even go to Kashyyk in ROTS.
What I found very odd was how easy Anakin went over to the dark side and how easy he turned on his wife. First he's killing jedi and doing everything in his power to save her life then suddenly he's choking away trying to kill her himself???? Sorry but that was really weak. You don't kill youngling in cold blood because of someone you love and then turn on her too.
You do if after all you've done for her after all you've sacrificed, she sides with your formerly trusted friend against you. He thought she brought Obiwan there and betrayed him. He also suspected something might have been going on between her and Obiwan early in the movie too. AND she expressed sympathy for the sepratists at one point. (If Lucas could direct a better love scene, I think it would've been clearer that their relationship was under strain the whole time, and his desire to save her life at any cost was a last-ditch effort to save a doomed marraige.)

And keep in mind Palpatine played him like a fiddle. He'd manipulated Anakin's whole life (possibly even creating him!), filling his head with thoughts of betrayal at every turn.

In any case, I had a few minor quibbles, but overall I loved it. A Vast improvement from 1&2 and a worthy end of the saga.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

I'm still not sure about that Palpatine created him theory. Maybe he was created by a Sith but I'm pretty it wouldn't have been Palpatine.
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
ScS of the Fraternity

lildog7 wrote:You don't kill youngling in cold blood because of someone you love and then turn on her too.
Oh God, younglings. What is up with that?

[Obiwan]: "Padmae, I saw him kill younglings."
[Padmae]: "What are younglings?"
[Obiwan]: "Younglings are children. But don't you see..."
[Padmae]: "Then why didn't you just say children?"
[Obiwan]: "Huh? Aren't you listening: Anakin has gone over to the Dark Side."
[Padmae]: "He's gone where? Is he getting more younglings?"
Evil Reigns!!!!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Yeah, the "NOOOoooooOOO" scene was soooo cheesy. They could not have made that sillier if they tried. The delay, the pose... pure hilarity.
But I enjoyed it probably as much as Return of the Jedi. Head and shoulders above the last two (baring the final half-hour of Clones). No dumb comic relief or pandering to kiddies...
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

I agree, it was great. Although I think that the death of Mace Windu, the presence of Wookiees, and the Yoda vs. Palpatine fight were somewhat over-hyped.
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Orang Santu wrote:I agree, it was great. Although I think that the death of Mace Windu, the presence of Wookiees, and the Yoda vs. Palpatine fight were somewhat over-hyped.
I agree on everything but the Yoda/Palpatine fight. It was when that started and Duel of the Fates from Episode I kicked in that my mind went "This film ****ing rocks."
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:
lildog7 wrote:You don't kill youngling in cold blood because of someone you love and then turn on her too.
Oh God, younglings. What is up with that?

[Obiwan]: "Padmae, I saw him kill younglings."
[Padmae]: "What are younglings?"
[Obiwan]: "Younglings are children. But don't you see..."
I don't see the problem here. It seemed pretty clear to me that younglings were child Jedi-in-training. Not just children in general. Being close to Anakin and Obiwan, Padme would know the term.
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

I had said, maybe not on this board, but somewhere, that if this film was half as good as Clone Wars it would be the best of the prequels.

It is, in fact, half as good as Clone Wars.

Or, to be more precise, the half of the film where people JUST SHUT UP AND FIGHT ALREADY is as good as Clone Wars.

I was really impressed with Ian McDiarmid, too.