"Domains of Delight" in upcoming 5e adventure

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Domains of Delight" in upcoming 5e adventure

Post by Resonant Curse »

https://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/news/d ... ed-feywil/

Given the text from the back of the adventure it sounds like they are making something along the lines of the Domains of Dread but for the Feywild.

"The Wild Beyond the Witchlight takes adventurers from the Witchlight Carnival to Prismeer, a Feywild domain of delight."

Also seems to include characters from Isolde's new backstory.
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: "Domains of Delight" in upcoming 5e adventure

Post by onmyoji »

The phrase "domain of delight" makes my skin crawl. And not in the good Ravenlofty-y way. In much more of a scraping-the-bottom-of-the-barrel kind of way.

— onmyoji
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

onmyoji wrote:The phrase "domain of delight" makes my skin crawl. And not in the good Ravenlofty-y way.
I'm with you. Yeccch!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

It would be one thing if something like that had been introduced back in the 2E or 3E era. The bar for good storytelling wasn't set so high back then as it is now. And if there were some link between a domain of dread and a "domain of delight," then that's something else still. But Ravenloft is too far advanced to bear the brunt of that now.

I hate to keep ragging on VRGtR, but we've had lazy storytelling at WotC since Descent into Avernus at least. I'm still not over their misuse of Jander for the sake of...... well, nothing I guess! It's no surprise to me that the laziness continues.

— onmyoji
FiranDarcalus
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by FiranDarcalus »

Yikes....domains of delight?? That just sounds...icky! Boy, I'm starting to question if Wizards is just trolling people at this point.
Jander Sunstar
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Jander Sunstar »

FiranDarcalus wrote:Yikes....domains of delight?? That just sounds...icky! Boy, I'm starting to question if Wizards is just trolling people at this point.
Or giving us the middle finger...
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

As a note, someone did point out there is a carnival on the cover art and furthermore Isoldes new backstory has her trading her Old Carnival for the current one she has... Could this be connected vaguely in that direction? Food for thought.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Could be some stuff in that book to poach for the Shadow Rift, or, Tepest (if you prefer the Shadow Rift less of an eyesore).

I'm not interested either way. Just sayin'.
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I think it could be something different than our definition of domain. Perhaps they mean like "fief" or state.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

Zilfer wrote:As a note, someone did point out there is a carnival on the cover art and furthermore Isoldes new backstory has her trading her Old Carnival for the current one she has... Could this be connected vaguely in that direction? Food for thought.

The people running it appear to be the ones from Isolde's backstory.
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

I'm not exactly thrilled with WotC's lore effors in 5e myself, but I feel obligated to point out that "domains of delight" could just be a poetic turn of phrase to describe the strong association between faeries and parties, balls, galas, dances, festivals, fetes and other celebrations, which would naturally be a pretty major component of the Feywild sociosphere. It may not be intended as any kind of reference to Ravenloft at all.
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

It could easily be an unintended reference. But also they know what they're doing. It's hard to ignore that specific phrase when people have already pointed out the Isolde/Carnival connections.

And I think more importantly, personally I wouldn't put it past WotC to try to make Feywild "domains" in a parallel way that Ravenloft has them.

And to be honest, part of me wants to see that idea on paper so I can laugh at it. Does each domain have a "light lord" that isn't "trapped" there so much as never wanting to leave because these are little mini-paradises where nothing really ever goes wrong? Who's to say! Part of me also wants to see this so that those domains can then be corrupted into domains of our own. What better way to add more darklords in one swift stroke than by annexing some fey parallel to Ravenloft and corrupting it?

— onmyoji
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

onmyoji wrote:It could easily be an unintended reference. But also they know what they're doing. It's hard to ignore that specific phrase when people have already pointed out the Isolde/Carnival connections.

And I think more importantly, personally I wouldn't put it past WotC to try to make Feywild "domains" in a parallel way that Ravenloft has them.

And to be honest, part of me wants to see that idea on paper so I can laugh at it. Does each domain have a "light lord" that isn't "trapped" there so much as never wanting to leave because these are little mini-paradises where nothing really ever goes wrong? Who's to say! Part of me also wants to see this so that those domains can then be corrupted into domains of our own. What better way to add more darklords in one swift stroke than by annexing some fey parallel to Ravenloft and corrupting it?

— onmyoji

This would kind of go with the idea that they kept adding as plot hooks similar to the Dread Possibilities of 3rd edition RL where for Forgotten Realms they kept hinting that there was a *second* lost enclave of Netherese that was saved by being pulled to some other plane by Selune like Shar helped drag Shade into the Plane of Shadow and that if certain criteria were met it would return. I know I've seen it mentioned at least twice in FR products. I woulldn't put it past them to try and pull the opposites exist thing again.
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

Resonant Curse wrote:This would kind of go with the idea that they kept adding as plot hooks similar to the Dread Possibilities of 3rd edition RL where for Forgotten Realms they kept hinting that there was a *second* lost enclave of Netherese that was saved by being pulled to some other plane by Selune like Shar helped drag Shade into the Plane of Shadow and that if certain criteria were met it would return. I know I've seen it mentioned at least twice in FR products. I woulldn't put it past them to try and pull the opposites exist thing again.
I don't know anything about that specific element, but I certainly think it's sad how far the phrase "I wouldn't put it past them" can go with WotC today.

— onmyoji