Question on Gundar crunch and fluff!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Question on Gundar crunch and fluff!

Post by A G Thing »

What unique powers and curse did Gundar have when he was darklord? I know he was a Nosferatu but other than that and his hang ups with aging I don't have a lot of details.

If someone could explain or point me to some source material that could help flesh out my understanding a bit more I would appreciate it.
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Question on Gundar crunch and fluff!

Post by The Lesser Evil »

He never really was that well detailed in canon. He appears in Knight of the Black Rose, where you can glean a little bit about him and his relationship/rivalry with Soth. It's also a good (the only?) source for his son Medraut whom seemed like an interesting character (a shame it seems to bite the big one there). Gazetteer IV had some cut material on him that Ryan Naylor talked about here: http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... 24#p206524 where his stats are described as a Neutral Evil eminent vampire aristocrat 6/fighter 10. Post resurrection, he suffers from amnesia other than the name "Dominiani" and has basically gone feral.

He also got a noncanon, 2e writeup in the Book of Secrets (available on the Kargatane website), where his curse is that his body is slowly weakening with age as a mortal person's body might be. He also experiences emotions long denied him as a slave to his former master Otto from his time on the Prime Material Plane, though these are only negative. Among his powers is a berserker rage that resembles that of a barbarian but also comes with an immunity to turning while active. He also has the ability to cause fear checks in people who meet his gaze.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by A G Thing »

Thank you Lord Pruitt and good job pointing me towards the wiki. 50 points for your house! The wiki does cite quite a few sources but the only problem is that it does not say which source the specific details I was looking for were in. I just was hoping someone could focus my search to which official sources if they knew or if those didn't exist, to which fan works may have the stats I was looking for. There is a list but it does not say which of these sources if any has what I was looking for. I have a lot of pdf's, novels and game books to look through otherwise and I wanted to know which to focus on.

And thank you as well Lesser Evil and you earn your house 100 points! I appreciate that you even found that post about him being cut from Gaz IV. The main fan resource was in the BoS!!! Good to know where to look.

Still sad there isn't any real cannon source on his curse or powers but a good fannon resource will always certainly work and is vastly appreciated. I never thought he was so officially underdeveloped until I went to research him.

Still to you both thank you for pointing me towards the information I was looking for.
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I think between Gundar's reputation, how his son Medrauit acted in KotBR, and Dr. Dominiani's research during his time as an agent of the Duke that one could infer some sort of hereditary madness might afflict the Gundars, and that very well could have been a curse if one were so inclined.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by A G Thing »

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Perhaps due to how his emotions were affected when he was exposed to the artifact that restored his emotions. Also perhaps due to his seeming aging which seems to be unique to his line of Nosferatu vampire than others from his home world.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

One thing I found significant about Gundar from his appearance in Knight of the Black Rose, was that he was able to lock hands with Soth.
Now, he didn't win, but he managed to at least not get pushed over right away. This suggests to me that he had some considerable physical power at his disposal.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by A G Thing »

Good to know. Seems like despite the aging he still had a large amount of strength. I need to compare the bonuses for being a Nosferatu versus that of Death Knight and the stats I have for Soth and see how that lines up. Maybe he had some unnatural level of strength.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Character-wise, I always saw Gundar as some sort of Barbarian. Rage could have helped him close the distance between him and Soth, and undeath would protect him from exhaustion between using bursts of Rage. He'd be able to use it with as much calculation as he was capable of, alternating surges of strength with clear(ish) thought.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Gundar being a barbarian would make sense since his first reaction to a challenge is brute force without a lot of finesse. He doesn't seem to be the most intellectual of characters, or the most charismatic, either, since he ruled through fear and brutality. He's also a sadist of the first degree and his own children seemed to have inherited that trait.

Given that he was assassinated by his own minion, Dr. Dominiani, he's either easily distracted or just not smart enough to recognize treachery.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Rock wrote:One thing I found significant about Gundar from his appearance in Knight of the Black Rose, was that he was able to lock hands with Soth.
Now, he didn't win, but he managed to at least not get pushed over right away. This suggests to me that he had some considerable physical power at his disposal.
2nd Ed vampires always had strength 18/99, except possibly Merillee. Soth's 2nd Ed strength was 18/99 as well.

Undead where just buff in 2nd ed...
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote: 2nd Ed vampires always had strength 18/99, except possibly Merillee. Soth's 2nd Ed strength was 18/99 as well.

Undead where just buff in 2nd ed...
Your general point is correct, although the specifics of vampire strength is not. Vampire strength scores depended on vampire strain and age category in 2nd Edition. Your garden variety Monstrous Manual vampire had 18/76.