Ravenloft coins

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Voorhees Carnivean
Conspirator
Conspirator

Ravenloft coins

Post by Voorhees Carnivean »

I really liked the different coins that were introduced in the 3rd edition books for the various domains and was thinking for my next campaign of having some custom coins made and give one to each of my players every time they visit a new part of the world. Was wondering if anyone knew of material that went into detail about what was stamped on the front and backs of coins from certain domains (I want to say that it was mentioned for a couple domains but can’t remember off the top of my head) and had some ideas about what could be on the coins from various nations in the Realm of Dread. Im starting the campaign in Darkon so that would be the first one I’d be doing. I’m thinking Darkon would have Azalin’s image (in his ancient looking but still human guise) stamped on at least one side because of his ego. Possibly Haslik too for Haslan. Definitely Drakov’s hawk emblem for Falkovnia. The von Zarovich crest for Barovia?
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ravenloft coins

Post by The Lesser Evil »

If you look at the coin descriptions in the economy sections of the Gazetteers, it should say what the coins are engraved with.
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Darkonian coins:

The Assula "Chip" (copper)
The Ossis "Bone" (silver)
The Cranium "Skull" (gold)
The Insigne "Crown" (platinum)

Tails side of each coin has a skull (increasingly intact with the value of the coin), the heads side a portrait of Azalin (which stares directly towards the holder). Stolen coins ("dead coins") are said to have an altered visage of Azalin (a ghastly skull).

Reference: Gaz II, pp. 37-38

Barovian coins:

The Rat-Tooth (copper)
The Raven-Claw (silver)
The Wolf-Fang (gold)

Tails side depicts the animal from which its name derives, the heads side depicts the von Zarovich arms ringed with the phrase "Never Again Conquered, Home Forever More".

Reference: Gaz I, p.31

Hazlani (?) coins:

The Bloodpenny (copper)
The Moondagger (silver)
The Soulorb (gold)

Each coin has a small sphere of coloured glass as a centrepiece, the colours of which (red, green, blue, and clear) are based upon the whims of the minter. Bloodpennies are square, moondaggers are triangular, and soulorbs are circular.

Reference: Gaz I, p.57

Falkovnian coins:

The Falconeye (copper)
The Falconclaw (silver)
The Falconhead (gold)

Both sides of each coin bear a crude reproduction of the hawk crest of Vlad Drakov.

Reference: Gaz II, p.102

Hope this helps.
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Personally, I think the names of the coins of the different domains are way too cheesy. Kinda dulls the knife that I envision Ravenloft to be. I much prefer "straight" horror.

Just my two "blood drops" (which is the equivalent to one "wart", or ten "coffins", or ...) :? Haha
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Kartakan coins:

The Canticle (copper)
The Dirge (silver)
The Ballad (gold)

Most of these coins have foreign origins and are re-stamped. Heads side features a lute, the tails side musical notations of increasing complexity.

Reference: Gaz I, p.104

Lamordian coins:

The Marten (copper)
The Sable (silver)
The Glutton (gold)

The heads side of these coins feature the profile of historical ("unknown") von Aubreckers, the tails side local fur-bearing mammals.

Reference: Gaz II, pp. 76-77

Dementlieuse coins:

The Bit (copper)
The Lunar (silver)
The Solar (gold)
The Corona (platinum)

The Bit is stamped with "a constellation observable in the Dementlieu night", the Lunar a crescent moon, the Solar a brilliant sunburst, and the Corona Dementlieu's elaborate coat of arms.

Reference: Gaz III, p.28

Mordentish coins:

Not listed. Same as sister Dementlieu's? Somebody from these boards must know...any Ravenloft sages reading this? :)

Richemuloise coins:

The Rumor (copper)
The Secret (silver)
The Scandal (gold)

Practically every noble house mints their own coins and stamps their family's coat of arms onto one side (not specified), and on the other the figure of Prosperite, a Richemuloise maiden who personifies wealth.

Reference: Gaz III, p.100

Borcan coins:

The Foxglove (copper)
The Hemlock (silver)
The Nightshade (gold)

Each coin has a valued herb on the tails side, and the profiles of significant historical Dilisnyas on the heads side with the phrase "Laws Are Written In Silver" ringing them. The individuals honored on the coins vary with the whims of the sef who struck them.

Reference: Gaz IV, pp. 31-32

Invidian coins:

The Bitterbit (copper)
The Sweetpiece (silver)
The Drymark (gold)

Bitterbits feature a stylized bear's head on one side, a symbolic heart on the other. Sweetpieces are stamped with crossed swords and a man's hand on either side. Drymarks, a trout on one side (luck/prosperity), the features of whomever ruled at the time of minting on the other (Malocchio, Gabrielle, or Bakholis).

Reference: Gaz IV, p.56

Verbreker (?) coins:

None. They barter for the most part. Though settlers along the riverbanks might take Mordentish (huh? I musta missed something), Richemuloise, or Invidian coins as payment if they feel they can get a quick turnaround with river traders.

Reference: Gaz IV, p.80

Valachani coins:

The Klawe (copper)
The Kattoye (silver)
The Pantarlede (gold)

One side of all coins bears a sequoia. A cat's paw with claws extended (klawe), a cat's eye (kattoye), or a panther's head (pantarlede) are stamped on the other sides.

Reference: Gaz IV, p.101

Sithican coins:

The Sword (copper)
The Crown (silver)
The Rose (gold)

Each coin has its namesake minted onto its heads side, and a elven skull on the tails side.

Reference: Gaz IV, p.124

Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Nova Vaasan coins:

The Horseshoe (copper)
The Spur (silver)
The Bridle (gold)

Heads side of horseshoes show open end horseshoe pointed down, heads of spurs depicts a rider's boot (toe pointed towards observer's right), and bridles a horsehead profile (looking to observer's left).

Tails side of all coins have two designs: one for those minted before Othmar's reign, and one for those after. Coins before were stamped with the crests of each the five great families, put into a pentagonal design. During his command the tails side bear Othmar's likeness: seated on a throne, head turned to the right, a whip in his left hand and a rod in his right (traditional Vaasi symbols of kingship). These latter coins are more common due to the older coins being melted after the various tax tallies.

Reference: Gaz V, p.36

Tepestani coins:

No coins. Trade.

Reference: Gaz V, p.71

Coins of Keening:

The Baby (a baby)

On the heads side, a little bundle of pure joy; of innocence personified; the pinnacle of human achievement; the purpose of Life, who has a lifetime ahead of themselves to nurture their inner self and bring an almost blinding light of uniqueness to the world at a future date should they be fortunate enough to have Fate provide them an unflinching guardian of strong moral convictions and a heart of endless patience and unconditional love.

On the tails side, a cold-hearted rotten bastard that deserves to be erased from existence. They are not human. They are a monster that needs to be cut down where they stand. Leave not even a spit stain. Deliver unto them a thousand damnations and then chase them down for an eternity of haunting punishment. Muck 'em; they deserve worse...

Reference: Gaz V, p. the whole bloody entry! (haha)

The Shadow Rift coins:

Faerie gold (pure gold)

Looks like pure gold, but when sunlight touches it you'll feel like an idiot for now it's just a pile of bones, rocks, dead leaves, and dirt. Might as well go down the lane and get your crew sober cos pointy ears of the real kind can bag you a few pieces of gold, real teeth-hurtin' gold, down the way and through the woods. Oh yes, those lil spits are gonna turn you some profit. Now, where's that key to your "job box"...?

Reference: Gaz V, p. 115

Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Mordent uses the saltpenny (cp), weepstone (sp), and mournepiece (gp). That is what the Ravenloft PHB says; they are not described there.
Last edited by Wolfglide of the Fraternity on Sat May 19, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Thank you for that Wolfglide.

Buzzclaw
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Buzzclaw »

Some of these currency names are a bit too on-the-nose.