The Shattered City: OOC

Online roleplaying at the Café
User avatar
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer
Posts: 5247
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:39 pm
Location: San Francisco CA

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

DocBeard wrote:You might wonder, 'How did Eisenwald fit that big old hammer under his costume's lab coat.' but that is, unfortunately, classified information.
He had it well-adjusted. :lucas:
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
User avatar
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 4119
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:00 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Post by NeoTiamat »

I love flurries of well-meaning activity.

Alright, let's see.... Tomas and Cyrus are going with Katja, and Celeste, Agale, Kerrian, and Lia are staying at the party. Nerit is in absentia again.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
User avatar
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 2165
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:35 pm

Post by DocBeard »

I like how Agale's language gets subtly more formal when he's caught off guard, Cronax. Nice touch, there.
User avatar
Cronax
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:52 pm
Location: Southern California

Post by Cronax »

err.. I hadn't even consciously noticed I was doing that.
"In normal times, evil would be fought by good. But in times like these, it must be fought by a different kind of evil."
User avatar
Nerit
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:22 am
Location: The Eternal Autumn
Contact:

Post by Nerit »

Yay, I'm back (mostly). Another essay and a final, but I have more free time now that classes are over.

A few notes:

P31 - I think the word Whistler was looking for was contrapposto :)?

And sorry for the language I keep sneaking in. I can't help it. The foreigners all have to express themselves!

I'm really fascinated by vae, actually. It supports the academic pronunciation, being a close guess of the classical Latin. V=W, essentially. I so do not approve of Ecclesiastical Latin pronunciation.

Julius Caesar sounded like Iulius Kaiser! "Wehnee, Weedee, Wiki!"
Petroselinum, salvia, ros marinus, et thymus.
Nuray Solak
User avatar
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer
Posts: 5247
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:39 pm
Location: San Francisco CA

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Nerit wrote: It supports the academic pronunciation, being a close guess of the classical Latin. V=W, essentially. I so do not approve of Ecclesiastical Latin pronunciation.

Julius Caesar sounded like Iulius Kaiser! "Wehnee, Weedee, Wiki!"
How very English of you. :lucas:
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
User avatar
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 4119
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:00 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Post by NeoTiamat »

This sheds new light on the Life of Brian, it really does.

Though I've been hearing the C=K for ages. Cicero would've been Kikero, I think.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
User avatar
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 6808
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:16 pm

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

If these pronunciations are going to be accepted as official, a lot of the older scholars are going to be double-checking themselves in conversation.
Welcome to my webcomic, Sarcantasy.
You can read it here:

Comicfury; Tapas; Webtoon

Come drop by and leave a comment; you'll make my day.
User avatar
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 2115
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:53 am
Location: Here and there
Contact:

Post by Kaitou Kage »

Will be posting soon, trying to get a short paper finished.
User avatar
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 2165
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:35 pm

Post by DocBeard »

err.. I hadn't even consciously noticed I was doing that.
Oh, well, I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to be mean or anything; I thought it was a subtle way of showing either Agale's lack of experience with speaking Mordentish or just imply more about the character by showing how he uses formality as a shield in tense situations.

And speaking of tense situations, who's running bets that the doxie's growing hysteria is a sign of something more sinister?
User avatar
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer
Posts: 5247
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:39 pm
Location: San Francisco CA

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

DocBeard wrote:And speaking of tense situations, who's running bets that the doxie's growing hysteria is a sign of something more sinister?
If it were real life, I would put my money on late-stage syphilis. In D&D, well, it could be anything. :P
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
User avatar
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Southshore

Post by The Whistler »

Nerit wrote:P31 - I think the word Whistler was looking for was contrapposto :) ?
Yep! It's amazing how much Wikipedia can help when you're attempting to fake your character's background in art history. :-P Granted, it was easier to pull a reference to Italian renaissance sculpture when I could basically make up most of what the statue looked like in the first place. ("That totally looks like a Michaelangelo! Because you haven't explicitly said that it doesn't yet!")
User avatar
Nerit
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:22 am
Location: The Eternal Autumn
Contact:

Post by Nerit »

NeoTiamat wrote:This sheds new light on the Life of Brian, it really does.

Though I've been hearing the C=K for ages. Cicero would've been Kikero, I think.
Petroselinum, salvia, ros marinus, et thymus.
Nuray Solak
User avatar
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 4119
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:00 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Post by NeoTiamat »

Favorite clip from that movie, hands down. It gains added hilarity when you've had to study Latin. :D
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
User avatar
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 2115
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:53 am
Location: Here and there
Contact:

Post by Kaitou Kage »

Posting rate may be diminished for the next week as I attempt to write my final papers.
Post Reply