Starcrossed: A Ravenloft Comic Discussion

Fiction about Ravenloft or Gothic Earth
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

DocBeard wrote:If Van Richten fighting cyborg bears is wrong, I don't want to be right.
I guess I could pencil it in to chapter three.
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
Phantom of the Sketchbook
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Phantom of the Sketchbook »

If Van Richten fighting cyborg bears is wrong, I don't want to be right.
This quote made my day.

Personally, I think Docbeard should go ahead and have a try at a comic. A crazy, off-the-wall interpretation of Ravenloft with a heavy steam-punk (or cyber-punk) twist would make a good third to our Comic Extravaganza.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

I just wish I could draw well enough to make one of these. Your webcomics are great!

Nice ending, Isabella. I really like your characters.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

DocBeard wrote:If Van Richten fighting cyborg bears is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Heh heh. If Van Richten hadn't been rescued from Emil Bollenbach in the Surgeon's Blade scenario of Chilling Tales, he would've wound up being a cyborg (well, golem) bear, himself. :wink:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

One thing my brother (who still hasn't managed to get the boards to register him) suggested I do is make a cast page. I don't really think I need it at this point in time, but it was fun to draw the portraits anyway. You can find them edited into the first post in the thread.
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Niiiiiiiiiiiice...... Girot in particular looks very cool, although that might just be my fondness for masks (as anyone who plays EoA will have noted).

Also, we have a title now!
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Actually, I agree, a cast page is a good idea. See, now when I forget Santine's name, I have a place to go, 'Oh RIGHT that's her name.'

Also, nice comment on the hair.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Gorgeous pics, Isabella! I don't think I've ever seen your full-color work before, but it's certainly worth the wait. :D

What's your brother's intended login, BTW? I'm sure the Admin can clear his registration quicker, if I nag him about it. :wink:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hazgarn »

This comic is excellent. I'd make one suggestion, though, and that would be to also put the pages up on a comic-hosting site and post a link here as an option. It's much easier on slower computers and connections when only one page needs to be loaded at a time. This forum gives my connection troubles anyway, so I had a hell of a time reading through these. Not that it wasn't worth it.

There are a lot of fan-based works out there, and I think some hosting sites have specific categories for fanworks, so I don't think copyright issues would be a problem more than they generally are for any work of fanfiction. Smackjeeves is a good one that's free, and DrunkDuck is another one that's popular, though slow loading it has a "Tribute" section that might be appropriate for a fandom-based comic.
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Your webcomic has inspired me to switch one of my summer classes- instead of Art History, I'm taking Drawing. My own artistic abilities aren't anything to brag about, but I do like to doodle. Now I'll get some proper training. :) I can always read books on art history for fun, without taking the class.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Hazgarn wrote:I'd make one suggestion, though, and that would be to also put the pages up on a comic-hosting site and post a link here as an option. It's much easier on slower computers and connections when only one page needs to be loaded at a time.
That's a good idea!

*stares in horror at the webpages*

Well, I haven't had to do anything in html or with comic hosting sites for... eight years.... but I'll see what I can do.

It may take a bit though. :shock:
ewancummins wrote:Your webcomic has inspired me to switch one of my summer classes- instead of Art History, I'm taking Drawing. My own artistic abilities aren't anything to brag about, but I do like to doodle. Now I'll get some proper training. :) I can always read books on art history for fun, without taking the class.
:oops: Well gee, I'm flattered. I can only encourage all the people who wish they could draw to do the same, if they have the patience for the practice practice practice it takes!
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Aaaaaaaaand voila!

http://www.drunkduck.com/Starcrossed/

Looks terrible, but hopefully will suffice as a quick-fix for those with slower modems. I'll be sticking with the Fraternity of Shadows as my haunting grounds of choice, so if you'd like to leave a comment I'd prefer it here rather than there, but I might pop on over there once in a while to see if anything is happening.
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hazgarn »

Sweet. *favorites*
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Marie Delacroix... may I ask if that name derives from something?

Strange bedfellows, perhaps? :)
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

HuManBing wrote: Strange bedfellows, perhaps? :)
I probably ought to read more or watch more or whatever more but I have no idea what you are talking about. :shock: So I guess the answer is no, it doesn't.

Anyway, we're back! You've probably lost all interest by now! That's okay! I'll update the makeshift comic hosting site as soon as I recall my password. And username.

And before anyone asks, the man in the comic is not sporting two black eyes, nor has he gone overboard with the eyeliner. He simply has very dark circles under his eyes.