Shackled City

Discussing all roleplaying games
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Shackled City

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Hi all,

I have been thinking of buying this monster module from Paizo for some time. My simple question is, is it worth the money? :)

Yours,

Rafael
Le Noir Faineant

Noone here who got it? Very interesting...
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

I don't have the book, as it costs over $40 here in the US. I have all the original Dungeon magazines that formed the 'Shackled City' adventure path. Truthfully, I found it OK as a "levels 1 -> 20 supermodule" goes, but the subject didn't excite me as much as 'Age of Worms' did, or even more so now in their 'Savage Tide' adventure path. I have been searching for the book on ebay, if it ever goes below $20, I'll probably pick it up.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I don't own it, but I'm currently playing it - so pls no spoilers! :)

It's a good quality adventure - lots of great things, recurent NPC, etc.

Our group is enjoying it.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Le Noir Faineant

Thank you!

I have broesed the web a bit, and come to the same conclusion as you, Jim. It's a good module, but a bit inspired in *Terror in Talabheim* (Warhammer 2e), which I already own, and fine, but nothing exceptional, at least judging from the reviews. I think I'll save my money for either Savage Tide or maybe even Castle Zagyg, if I stumble over it... :)

Thanks again, and I hope you indeed enjoy it, Joel - from what I've heard, it's really cool, but there are so many good adventures out there that it seems difficult to choose between all of them... :)
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jonathan Winters »

I know I'm ***ing in the wind with this one, but Ptolus: City by the Spire is really amazing. It's expensive, but it is worth every cent.

The PDF's aren't that bad if you buy one every once in a while. The most expensive one is 9$ I think.

The hard copy might be OOP right now (and there were no plans to reprint). Yes, they sold out!

I'm thinking of situating Ptolus' continent higher up North from Darkon. Yes, that will probably be the ''other continent'' people talk about in my game.

And I think Joël should tell us about Cauldron every now and then as the story develops. (I have AoW and do not plan to buy the S. City)

Patrick
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

I DMed the first adventure path, but I must advise: there are heavy changes to be made, specifically at consistency in the story (like the sudden appearance of Adimarchus' faithful).
I'm currently closing the campaign, with my player's charachters reaching 18° level.
Oh, I must tell you: I moved the setting from Cauldron to the Verbobonc area. :D
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Le Noir Faineant

:) Thank you, again.

The more I think of it, however, the more clear it comes to me that I will wait until a Savage Tide HC is out. (I hope they do one.)

I have already quite a bunch of campaigns that I want to run, and since SC doesn't impress me too much, I think the wisest thing will be to skip it, unless I find it somewhere very cheap. :)

With Goodman's Castle Whiterock, The City of Brass Box Set and WotC's Expedition Series, it seems there's quite a lot on the market that deserves a look... :)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Joël of the FoS wrote:I don't own it, but I'm currently playing it - so pls no spoilers! :)

It's a good quality adventure - lots of great things, recurent NPC, etc.

Our group is enjoying it.

Joël
The good guys win at the end Joel. They triumph over the evil God/Sorceress/Dragon/Lich or whatever it is. :twisted:

Seriously now:
Since you're a universaly acknowledged Reviewer: Is it good or it is just good hack and slash?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:Is it good or it is just good hack and slash?
I don't know for all of it, since I think the DM skipped a few things in the intro, and we're not very far in it yet.

So far, it's good fun fantasy small quests, with more NPC interactions than usual. But hack'n'serve is also a good part of it. And the quests are no related other than "hey, this just happened, can you go check it".

But we're not very far as I said (close to finish Baal Amatugn, or whatever it's called, and save the dwarf), so may be there are recurent NPCs that will make the whole seem more linked.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)