Neverwinter Nights 2

Discussing all roleplaying games
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Neverwinter Nights 2

Post by alhoon »

Hi all.

I would like to say this game is very good to my opinion. Far better than the original campaign of Neverwinter Nights.

Best improvements:

Shorter hack-slash maps: The game still evolves around combat but the dungeons are smaller. There are many dungeons, but you won't get the feeling of "Phewww. Why do I have to meet 200 pairs of enemies? Couldn't there be a little less?"

Far more RP:The game has far more RP elements.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

I received it for Christmas, but can't play it until I upgrade my video card. :(
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Post by Moral Machivelli »

I agree, it's first class (Mind you, I'm biased, as I'm Voice acting in a fan made module)
Algaris
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Algaris »

I've been waiting to find out if its compatible with XP x64 bit / Vista 64 bit. Since the answer seems to be a tentative yes, I just need to wait till I can afford to buy it.
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

It was selling for only $5 US at my local Best Buy day-after-Thanksgiving early-morning sales, I think a lot of people bought them & then discovered it required high-end video to play. :(
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Sadly, I can't play it until I get my hands on a pc that works properly, which means I need to earn more and I'm working about 14 hours a day already!!! ARGH!!!! :shock:
Swallow your soul!
Scipion_Emilien
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scipion_Emilien »

My own review of NWN2 would be:

Good:

-Great new class, prestige class and race, it give to players new things to do

-Version 3.5, correct some of the stupidity of 3.x

-The campaign seem more oriented toward roleplaying than the first one.

-Great graphics, the graphics are simply better than the one and I like the new look and personnalisation of character. I have more the impression to be in an average fantastic world than in NWN1 where I had the impression to be in a uber-crazy magic world.

-The new editor: It allow near infinite possibilities and the permanent world crafter seem to not feel limited.

The new inventory: One thing take one space, less trouble, you have no more to play tetris with your inventory simply to put the maximum thing into it.

The Bad:

-The interface and the camera! If there was a thing to not change, it was that. I have the impression to have to fight the camera before I can play the game and it s really annoying.

-The new editor: While giving new possibilities, the editor is now more complex. Someone who never start by the NWN1 toolset is completely lost and will probably not try to do modules.

-Multiplayer lag. While the lag of the game is OK for the average game where you try the campaign and do one or two quest with few friends, it become really bad when you wish to do a permanent world that is like a small massive multiplayer online rpg. NWN1 didn't have this problem.

-Lack of multiplayer help. The interface make it harder to wisp other players, attack with selected spell a player and roam in party with players.

-Stupid mechanics that aren't on table and that have no reason to stay here. Parry for example is using a mechanic already cover by the feat expertse. More, it allow to use a skill to do something in combat in place of the attack bonus. And they are not self-consequent since the feat to broke a parry hasn't been implement. On the others hand, discipline is no more here.

I would give NWN2 a 7/10. it is a decent game that allow you to play in a pen and paper like environement the more a computer can allow you. But it lack the easy to use interface of it's predecessor and is a lot more multiplayer unfriendly than NWN1 who I would give 9/10.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Well, at first I was at loss with the new editor. Now I can work it very easily. It is far easier to script in that editor than the NWN1 editor. And when I say "far easier" I mean it. No need to have knowledge of C++ or something to understand it.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!