Eragon Film Review. Contains Spoilers.

Books, movies, television and everything else
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Eragon Film Review. Contains Spoilers.

Post by LadySoth »

WARNING-- CONTAINS SPOILERS

Well, I finally got to see Eragon this weekend. I’d read both of the books and was really looking forward to the film. And while the movie has a lot of potential, I found myself a little disappointed by the final product.

But let me preface that by saying that as fantasy films go, Eragon is a mixed bag. There are some really good moments in the film, and some not so good, but the biggest flaw that I found was NOT in the acting, casting or the special effects (which were excellent) but in the overall pacing of the film.

How the producers expected to squeeze a 600-odd page book into a 1 hour 43 minute film is beyond me. Characters, who, in the book were major players, are only briefly introduced to us in the film, if they aren’t cut out entirely, as the script rushes on from one key scene to the next. The result is an awkward patchwork plot that feels more like the running of the bulls than a fantasy epic.

This is not to say that the film doesn’t have good moments, its just that the scenes flash by at so breakneck a pace that the audience doesn’t have time to enjoy them.

As far as casting goes, Edward Speelers as Eragon isn’t bad, although his hair is always just a little too perfect, his armour just a little too clean. If they had roughed the boy up a little and maybe not used so much hair spray, he could have been great, he can obviously act, and his interactions with the CGI dragon are impressive, but as it stands, he just looks too pretty. (The same goes for the choice of Sienna Guillory Sienna to play Arya: simply put, the girl looks more like she’s ready to walk down a fashion runway in Paris than face an entire hoard of urgals in battle. Again, a situation where the actress might have potential, if only her character’s look could have been improved.)

A bald John Malkovich as Galbatorix . . . where do I begin? I’ll just be civil and say he appears to be miscast. While that look might have worked for the actor who played Nosferatu in Shadow of the Vampire, it just doesn’t cut it here, and he’s not nearly maniacal enough for the role, alternating between moody and pouty. But I guess Malkovich himself isn’t entirely to blame. He’s really given some bummer lines, (“I suffer without my stone.”), and this contributes to his character’s ineffectiveness.

Hands down, Robert Carlyle as Durza is the best character in this film. Aside from great special effects makeup and a great look, Carlyle injects a real personality into the character, (“I expected you to be -- well, more...”) totally showing up Malkovich as the grumpy King. Strong performances also come from Rachael Weisz as the voice of Saphira, who does more with her voice than many actors do with their physical performances, and Jeremy Irons whose gruff tone and gentle mannerisms provide the perfect contrast for the character of Brom.

Garrett Hedlund as Murtagh is pretty convincing and one wonders why he wasn’t given the role of Eragon. Djimon Hounsou as Ajihad looks great, but his vocals are lacking, and sometimes his accent is a little hard to understand. But this is something that could have easily been fixed by a good dialogue coach, had the filmmakers made an effort to find one.

The urgals are laughable, looking more like disgrunteled ex-members of Dimmu Borgir than the dread army of an evil king, a far cry from the horned LOTR-type orcs depected in the books. (Maybe the filmmakers were afraid of copyright problems.)

So on the whole, you have a film that with a lot of potential that just manages to fall short of its aims, due almost entirely to the abrupt pacing and semi-lousy script. Add in more connecting scenes, or maybe some additional commentary from Jeremy Irons, and this film could have been great. If the filmmakers had paid as much attention to the script as they had to the CGI effects, we would have had an epic on a par with the LOTR films. Hopefully the DVD will contain deleted scenes, for as the film stands now, I have a really hard time imagining how they would handle a sequel. Overall I’d give it 7/10.

Copyright 2007 LadySoth.

THe Urgals:

And their alter egos:

Last edited by LadySoth on Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

"I rule out nothing. Nor, I imagine, do you."
"Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside . . . "
"Hail Strahd, Lord of Barovia!"
Padraic
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Padraic »

Well, mi lady Soth, seems like you hit the nail on the head with this one! Great review and I agree with you on almost all counts. My favourite actor in the film was, needless to say, Jeremey Irons. Fantastic portrayal of Brom. The film was adequate, though a bit fast-paced. Of course, the times when any film can outdo a book are few and far inbetween!!! :wink:
"Unable to escape the mists, you say? The better for me foolish one, as I seek vengeance on the dark powers who slaughtered my people!"
Joël of the FoS

Re: Eragon Film Review. Contains Spoilers.

Post by Joël of the FoS »

LadySoth wrote:Well, I finally got to see Eragon this weekend. I’d read both of the books and was really looking forward to the film. And while the movie has a lot of potential, I found myself a little disappointed by the final product.
While I agree with most of what you say, do not forget that seeing a film after reading the book is often a disapointment.

---

I haven't read the books before going to see it, but the movie plot often reeked of the first Star Wars:

- obi-wan-like caracter as Brom;
- caring uncle killed at the farm when the baddies were looking for the boy;
- the boy didn't knew his real parents and his mother left him to the care of his uncle
- the "you are our only hope" dream / hologram from R2D2,
- flight in the cave / tunel chase on the death star
- etc.

And a few visual scenes were made à la LotR.

Nice movie overall, but that same-ness was distracting.

Joël

Copyright 2007 Joël

;)
Last edited by Joël of the FoS on Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Eragon Film Review. Contains Spoilers.

Post by LadySoth »

Joël of the FoS wrote:
I haven't read the books before going to see it, but the movie plot often reeked of the first Star Wars:

- obi-wan-like caracter as Brom;
- caring uncle killed at the farm when the baddies were looking for the boy;
- the boy didn't knew his real parents and his mother left him to the care of his uncle
- the "you are our only hope" dream / hologram from R2D2, flight in the cave / tunel chase on the death star
- etc.
The books were exactly the same way, just a basic hero's journey plot with some dragons thrown in. Very, very similar to LOTR. None the less, an enjoying, if a little simple read. The way Paolini handles magic is extremely interesting in the novels.
Copyright 2007 Joël
;)
:lol: Well, you never can be too careful. I've had my work stolen on other forums in the past, particulary fan art, and putting that little disclaimer does seem to help. It is, afterall, my work and putting "copyright" helps people remember that.

BTW, thank you Joel and thank you Padrick for the positive comments, glad you guys liked the review. It'd also be interesting to hear the other viewpoints of more people who have read the books or saw the movie. :D
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malus Black »

Not having read the book (I generally don't read much fantasy), I can't say how good an adaption it was, but as a movie it is, like LadySoth said, a mixed bag.

The Good:
The acting was generally decent, with Jeremy Irons stealing the spotlight in every scene he was in. The rest of the cast were more or less satisfactory, although the dreadful dialogue really had them struggling (more on this later).

The visuals were very good, if a wee bit too much influenced by the Lord of the Rings movies, particularly in the crowd scenes (I swear, when Durza was addressing the army, I was this close to yelling "you will taste man-flesh" in my best Christopher Lee-imitation out into the cinema). The dragon, in particular, was very well done, and delivers one of the best acting performances in the movie (even though the voice acting, while good in itself, wasn't very dragon-ish).

The Bad:
The plot. It's Star Wars. It's not like Star Wars, it's not Star Wars-ish, it's what you get if you drop Star Wars into a generic fantasy setting, alter a few minor details, and spice it with a little Lord of the Rings and a dash of Dragonriders of Pern. But it lacks the mythical resonance, so to speak, of Star Wars, and because of that it's an exercise in clichés without the realisation that they are clichés (I know, I'm not being very clear here, but I really don't know how else to explain it).

The pacing, not just in the movie as a whole (where it actually worked, at least most of the time), but in the individual parts. By that, I mean that they spent a lot of time introducing the scene, building up the tension, hitting the climax, and then have no time left for resolution as they hurry into the next scene. Additionally, they have little time for travel scenes, which really diminishes the sense of distance. As a result of both these things, the film feels choppy, as if something is missing.

The setting. Like I said when I talked about the plot, it's very generic. There's no sense of mystery, no sense that this world exists beyond what is right there on the screen. You have all the traditional elements, and that's all they feel like; they have no personality. Also, what's with the names? You have English-sounding names like Brom, the evil king who sounds like he escaped from Asterix the Gaul, and fantasy names like Eragon and Durza. This might be explained in the book, but in the movie it made me feel like the names were picked out just because they sounded neat, with no thought for how they fit into the setting.

The Ugly:
The lines. I don't know how someone can write this kind of dialogue without groaning inwardly. When the king did his whole "I suffer without my stone. Do not prolong my suffering" thing at the beginning, I was really terrified for the rest of the movie. Luckily the dialogue got better, if not by much, but seriously; what's wrong with "those buggers stole my stone. Find it." On the whole, though, the movie sounds like an amateur performance of a Shakespeare play, minus the beautiful language. That is, the actors are so removed from their lines that they are unable to instill any sense of meaning in them. They sound like they're reciting, not saying. The only exceptions here are Jeremy Irons (who does a stellar job, as usual), and the guy playing Durza (primarily because he mainly got normal-sounding lines without the burden of exposition. Of course, it was hard to take him seriously in the last scenes; like my cousin said, he looked like a psychotic clown).

As a whole, Eragon is decent entertainment, with neat visuals and decent acting and action. I wouldn't recommend it as such, not with all the other great movies that are playing now, but I won't advice you to stay away either. Just don't go in expecting a new Lord of the Rings.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream

-Edgar Allan Poe
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

I have just seen the film and I really enjoy it very much. I haven't read the book though. I liked very much the fimal battle with Eragon, Safira and the shade (Dedra if I remember well teh name). The effects were pretty cool!

Most of all I liked Jeremy Airons, he was awsome IMO. Then Safira, I liked her determination and her loyalty to Eragon. I'm looking forward the second movie. :D
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

VAN wrote:I have just seen the film and I really enjoy it very much. I haven't read the book though. I liked very much the fimal battle with Eragon, Safira and the shade (Dedra if I remember well teh name). The effects were pretty cool!
That was one of the most interesting scenes in the whole movie -- great special effects on Durza's "black mist dragon" . . . very, very different from how the scene was carried out in the book though. Not bad, just different. But one thing that seemed really played-down during that scene was when Durza manages to give Eragon a severe sword cut across his back. If I remember correctly, this was shown in the movie, but the damage to Eragon himself seemed minimal, the blade didn't even pierce his armour. Although this may seem like a tiny detail, it becomes extremely important in the second novel, as Eragon has to work to overcome his newfound "disability". Maybe they'll make more of it in the second movie.
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

Maybe we should come up with a movie rating system... like

*This movie is good! 3 out of 5 screams!*

You know, something cool like that. :)

So, how many screams was it? if it's good enough, I may even go see it. :)
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

I haven't read the book, but I would like to. I sure hope it's better than the movie. I agree, the pacing was just totally off. I felt more like a was watching a TV show. You know how after an evening at the movies, you feellike you;ve had a full evening and you want to go to bed (or is that just me?)? Well, this movie left me fully energized and ready for another one. That is how uncinematic it was. I have no critique on the acting or other stuff. The bad pacing was jsut too distracting.
Hail Strahd!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

4/5 screams for me.

I agree that the pace was a bit faster than it should be and maybe some details should be more clear. But when I left the cinema I was totally get by Eragon-mania talikng to my friends about the dragon, the effects and the awsome Jeremy Airons. I enjoyed it very much.

I hope the next movie comes early next year because I'm curious to see the epic battle between Safira and Galbatorix's dragon (which I hope it will be on the second one). The last scene of the movie was focused on the dragon's head and my friend said: "Wow... this is a dragon! What can Safira do against him?" Well, I'm curious to see... :wink:
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ok, thanks VAN. I appreciate the info, and I'll try to go see it this weekend. :)
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Fun Fact: The guy who plays Eragon comes from the next village along from where I live.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

I have seen the movie but not read the books, and I didn't like it that much. I give it 3 out of 5, perhaps 2.5. Now, why?

Ba things:
I disliked the story. As it was told, it seemed flawed with some things unexplained or due to bad judgement (in my opinion) of the characters. Eragon himself did not convince me, and I don't quite buy it that someone can grow that fast. He always acts childishly in the movie, rash and irresponsibly most of the time. That's correct behaviour for his age, but he doesn't seem to have enough training 'in the movie', or enough lectures from Brom, to turn him into the hero at the end.

Why do these helpful characters, like Jeremy Irons', have to die? He was the main appeal of the whole film, and I get a bit tired of these deaths that leave the main character orphan. Fault of the story, not the film, but my main problems are with the story anyway.

I didn't like Durza at all. It looks like filmmakers want to scare us more through the looks of a character than through their actions and beliefs. Durza was more ugly-looking than he was truly evil, and on top of it, seemed to be rather cardboard.

Galbatorix was even worse. He appears in perhaps two scenes in the movie, not counting the last one, and does Nothing! If he hand't been there, I wouldn't even have noticed.

how the heck is it so easy for a child who can't wield a sword and a veteran reach the stronghold fortress of a wizard and infiltrate it to reach a prisoner?

the young archer who helps Eragon also seems far-fetched in the movie. Why does he arrives so suddenly and immediately sides with Eragon?

how is it that the times of the Dragons have been restored if there is still only one Dragon? How is Saphira going to reproduce to restore some mythical Dragon age?

Good things: Jeremy Irons, of course, and the Dragon scenes. Today, I like to view and read fantasy for the stretching of imagination that it can give me, and opening and sprawling landscapes are just ideal for that. There is in particular a scene in the film that seems to have been carefully set, which will caused a deep impact at the time: when we see the profile of the dragon against the sky. Very good. Unfortunately, I don't remember it too well anymore.

In general, I don't think well of this movie. I put it right in the same level as The Tales of Narnia. Mildly entertaining while there, but lacking any real substance and most times silly. These are movies which merely try to make money on the shoulders of a fantasy theme but don't do it very well.

Alex
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

If you want to see a good Narnia movie, check out the BBC version. Way better than the movie IMHO
Hail Strahd!
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Scarycount wrote:If you want to see a good Narnia movie, check out the BBC version. Way better than the movie IMHO
Do you mean the one from the 1980's? If so, I have it on DVD and still enjoy watching it. Ah, childhood memories...
-Mordentish proverb