Ravenloft novels

Books, movies, television and everything else
Servant of the Rilmani
Conspirator
Conspirator

Ravenloft novels

Post by Servant of the Rilmani »

On the screen of this computer-net site, I saw and read the review of the novel titled Tapestry of Dark Souls. It seems interesting enough to read it. So far, I have read only one Ravenloft novel titled To Sleep With Evil. In that book, there was what I consider a happy ending with the destruction of one evil Darklord of one domain. With the help of a Vistana man camping in the woodlands surrounding Lord Donskoy's castle, evil was changed to neutral.
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

If you enjoyed the Order of the Guardians from Neither Man Nor Beast (the 2E adventure in Markovia) then you'll enjoy the novel. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then try it anyway. I've found the Ravenloft novels to be very, very well written, much better than most series of novels that cover multiple authors.
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"
Lord_Pruitt
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lord_Pruitt »

Very true, as I thought all but one were excellent reads as well.
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

A good fact about the Ravenloft novels is that TSR often went out of house to good horror writers to pen the books, making their quality better than most of their other fare.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I suggest all of them, if only for inspiration for your game. Most are good, some excellent, a few bad. But still they can be used to inspire you good NPCs roleplaying, or details of a room, and atmosphere, etc.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

I like I, Strahd an awful lot; and tales of Ravenloft is also good, since it is fast and flavorful.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

My faves are Vampire of the Mists, I, Strahd, Carnival of Fear, Dance of the Dead, Tales of Ravenloft, and To Sleep with Evil... It's hard to say what a "happy ending" is in Ravenloft, because often you're rooting for the bad guy. :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by kottakinge »

Hmm to my opinion carnival of fear is bad written and inintersting.
Vampire of the mist was great, i don't know the others.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Tapestry of Dark Souls is one of my fave RL novels, it's well worth reading :)
Swallow your soul!
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

Ah, the best one is Death of a Darklord! That is what Ravenloft is all about!

*ducks flying objects*

Just kidding, everyone. My favorite is I, Strahd. I'm not very original, but it is an awesome read.
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

I still wonder if Laurell K Hamilton readers who stumble across Death of a Darklord are gonna be surprised by the lack of 30+ page sex scenes involving multiple men hung like Tom of Finland artwork (but never, ever, EVER gay, oh no).
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I read the first Anita Blake book recently. Indeed, it had many scenes filled with sexual tension mixed with danger. And I read from LkH forum that it gets more and more into this as the serie goes.

Oh well, I guess there is a readership for sex & horror.

And I think many details in the book about Anita made the whole look silly. She fell in love with her hero and it shows.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Brandi wrote:I still wonder if Laurell K Hamilton readers who stumble across Death of a Darklord are gonna be surprised by the lack of 30+ page sex scenes involving multiple men hung like Tom of Finland artwork (but never, ever, EVER gay, oh no).
:lol:
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

Guardian of Twilight wrote:Ah, the best one is Death of a Darklord! That is what Ravenloft is all about!

*ducks flying objects*
Ducks flying objects indeed. Actually this is the only Hamilton book I've actually enjoyed, albiet slightly.
Just kidding, everyone. My favorite is I, Strahd. I'm not very original, but it is an awesome read.
The original and still the best! The sequel was great too . . . :D
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

LadySoth wrote:
Guardian of Twilight wrote:Ah, the best one is Death of a Darklord! That is what Ravenloft is all about!

*ducks flying objects*
Ducks flying objects indeed. Actually this is the only Hamilton book I've actually enjoyed, albiet slightly.
The original and still the best! The sequel was great too . . . :D
*leans up from ducking*
Huh. That's interesting. Not many say that at all. You're very unique in that regard.

And...

I was never able to get my hands on a copy of the sequal. Sometimes I forget that I actually have a computer and access to Amazon. :)
-Mordentish proverb