me as a Servant of the Rilmani

Discussing all roleplaying games
Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malus Black »

Moral Machivelli wrote:What Malus said. Also, if the DPs want to, i think (can't remember), that they can block these too?
That's pretty much up to the DM, although certain things are beyond their purview, like Malocchio Aderre's Teleport ability.

Also, the Black Box mentions that, "in rare cases, a greater power may remove creatures or characters from the demiplane of dread, and guide them to a safer world." Not that it's likely to happen, unspoken pact and all that, but it is technically an escape method.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream

-Edgar Allan Poe
LouisVendredi
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by LouisVendredi »

Back in 2nd Ed. I had a Valkyrie stuck in the Demiplane and she was only released when she was about to have her soul eaten.

Odin was willing to allow her to remain imprisoned to respect the unspoken pact, but was unwilling to see her destroyed so he reached in and plucked her soul out just before it was eaten.
"Evil things have plans. They have things to do."
-- Anya Jenkins
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

LouisVendredi wrote:Back in 2nd Ed. I had a Valkyrie stuck in the Demiplane and she was only released when she was about to have her soul eaten.

Odin was willing to allow her to remain imprisoned to respect the unspoken pact, but was unwilling to see her destroyed so he reached in and plucked her soul out just before it was eaten.
In which book was that described?
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malus Black »

Charney wrote:
LouisVendredi wrote:Back in 2nd Ed. I had a Valkyrie stuck in the Demiplane and she was only released when she was about to have her soul eaten.

I think Louis was referring to something he made for his game.
All that we see or seem

-Edgar Allan Poe
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

Oops sorry I read a little too fast.
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Servant of the Rilmani
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Servant of the Rilmani »

Malus Black wrote:There are several methods of escaping (after all, early Ravenloft adventures were designed around the weekend in hell formula, which generally ended with the outlander PCs getting back to their world). First of all, there are a few permanent portals (sort of, anyway. Even permanent portals generally only open under specific circumstances), which are exceedingly hard to find. I believe there's one in Adam's lair in the Isle of Agony, and I suppose you could theoretically use the Obsidian Gate (in the Shadow Rift) to get to the plane of shadows. The problem is that you'd have to open it and release Gwydion, and that's very bad, both for the PCs and everyone else.

Then there's the will of the Dark Powers. If they want to send you home, off you go. Otherwise known as "the DM wants to get back to prime material gaming."

Then you have various artifacts. The Black Box presented the Scroll of Return, which did exactly what it sounds like (it made a temporary portal to somewhere when read). The Rift Spanner, created by the night hag Styrix, is entirely functional. The problem is that it has to be powered by the souls of a hundred people to transport you reliably, so it's not a good choice for non-evil PCs.

And yes, Ravenloft floats in the deep ethereal, but you can't see it as such. If you happen to cross its path, then one second you're floating around in the ethereal, and one second you're standing in Ravenloft, a few swirls of misty vapor curling around your feet.
Damn! She's highly intelligent, that evil bitch-night hag Styrix, for creating something with an awesome name to it and that works. Because I'm not evil, I'm not going to use her Rift Spanner. Awesome answer, Malus Black. I like the Scroll of Return if it is useable by any nonevil character. What black box are you meaning and for what edition of ADandD is it for? And can you post the details from the black box for the Scroll of Return?
Servant of the Rilmani
Conspirator
Conspirator

Malus Black wrote:
Moral Machivelli wrote:What Malus said. Also, if the DPs want to, i think (can't remember), that they can block these too?
That's pretty much up to the DM, although certain things are beyond their purview, like Malocchio Aderre's Teleport ability.

Also, the Black Box mentions that, "in rare cases, a greater power may remove creatures or characters from the demiplane of dread, and guide them to a safer world." Not that it's likely to happen, unspoken pact and all that, but it is technically an escape method.
Forget about the unspoken pact. The Dark Powers should respect whatever a Greater Power wants. A greater deity should always be able to transport anything from one plane to another.
Servant of the Rilmani
Conspirator
Conspirator

And the deep ethereal is not very well known. It is the opposite (Primarily because of all those foolish planewalkers getting caught by ravenloft) Also, going by cannon, even planescapes best sages have only got a very sketchy idea of where ravenloft is. Most think it is a myth. As almost no-one would survive getting out with their sanity, anyone who did would be assumed either insain, or a bad lier.

We apologise for this rant, now returning to "normal" insanity (You know it makes sense)
That is why I would like to adventure in the Deep Ethereal to get to know its geography and its artificial things. From Jeff Grubb's Manual of the Planes for 1st edition ADandD, I know I like the Ethereal plane the best because it has slower time, which allows for defense against poison and a longer life, and it allows for natural healing and magical healing. It is one of the very best planes that has every aspect of existence. I like the Ethereal plane as described in Jeff Grubb's Manual of the Planes for ADandD 1st edition. As a matter of fact, who has the Manual of the Planes for 1st edition ADandD by Jeff Grubb? Can you post all of the Ethereal plane information from that book? You will see what I mean that it is the best plane by allowing physical things, magical things, and temporal things.
Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malus Black »

Servant of the Rilmani wrote:I like the Scroll of Return if it is useable by any nonevil character. What black box are you meaning and for what edition of ADandD is it for? And can you post the details from the black box for the Scroll of Return?
The Black Box is the nickname for the original 1990 Ravenloft Campaign Setting. The Scroll is usable by anyone (although it won't take much to create a unique non-evil only artifact), and the user simply has to "spend a full turn reading this scroll," at which point a portal to a random location in the prime material appears. The portal "remains open for one full turn," but I don't know what that translates to in 3.5, as the time measurements have changed over the editions.
Forget about the unspoken pact. The Dark Powers should respect whatever a Greater Power wants. A greater deity should always be able to transport anything from one plane to another.
Should they? Possibly, although there are other limitations to their powers, like using divine powers near the Spire or entering Sigil. And even if they can, who's to say that they will? They might very well be wary of breaking the unspoken pact and annoying the Dark Powers.
All that we see or seem

-Edgar Allan Poe
LouisVendredi
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by LouisVendredi »

Charney wrote:
LouisVendredi wrote:
Back in 2nd Ed. I had a Valkyrie stuck in the Demiplane and she was only released when she was about to have her soul eaten.

I think Louis was referring to something he made for his game.
Indeed, it was in my own campaign.
"Evil things have plans. They have things to do."
-- Anya Jenkins