Wanted: Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Matthew L. Martin
Arch-villain
Arch-villain
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:49 pm
Contact:

Post by Matthew L. Martin »

Akikage

Bound by death to death
Blade wrapped in smoke and shadow
Leaves cold death behind

--Rokushima haiku
User avatar
Joël of the FoS
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7077
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:24 pm
Gender: Male
Location: St-Damien, Québec

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Ashen Husk [Sandstorm]

Delirious thoughts of a sick and weak widower in Sebua:

No! I plead you not to go hunting for her, Sahib! Please! My wife is back for me, on this moonless night! For me! The thirst for her! I could not believe the shouts my neighbours made “Nahlah is back”! We thought she died in the desert! But she came to my house tonight! Yes, Sahib! My tears of joy from seeing her dried quickly when she came to embrace me. The thirst! She came from the realm of Osiris for me! Oh, the thirst for her! Then your priest friend chased her! The thirst! The thirst!!!

We chased this skeletal creature from the village with our holy symbols. Later, six persons were found dried dead in and around the village. We shall hunt this horror tomorrow.

Journal of Dominic, humble anchorite

(for the record, Nahlah is a genuine Arabic female first name, meaning “a glass of water” :) )
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
User avatar
Joël of the FoS
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7077
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:24 pm
Gender: Male
Location: St-Damien, Québec

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Let’s give it a try! John, let me know if it doesn’t fit.

Afflicted beast [new]

September 3rd, 757 – second day of full moon

Ô Belenus! In the last days, I do not recognize Greyfur, my old wolf companion. A strange glow now lights his gaze. Since yesterday, I find him looking at me strangely, like if his animal thoughts have somehow … changed. It’s difficult to explain. I can still force my will upon Greyfur, but his whole body expression has changed, like he … evolved?

And I still wonder what happened in the hills when he came back with this nasty bite in its flank. This is not a goblyn wound. However, this wound has now healed satisfactory.

The wandering goblyn tonight didn’t have a chance against my wolf: even before I was ready to fight it, Greyfur jumped on it and snapped his neck with ease. When I think about the way my wolf looked at me after his kill, a savage expression of joy in his eyes, it gives me the shivers…

A Druid’s diary in Forlorn.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
User avatar
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:59 pm
Location: Tanelorn, OH

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

As I've always been more interested in the generation of ancient dead rather than the ancient dead themselves, I hope this helps; if not, feel free to ignore. Drop the first paragraph if too long.

Ancient Dead (Dread Mummy)

"You have to understand, we were young, indolent, and rich, always a dangerous combination. And we weren't the first to break into Florian's crypt to leave behind flowers, bad poetry, and other memorials to the way he captured the spirit of our times with his music. Andre thought to stay awhile, sing the bard's songs and smoke some of the Hazlani magic that the bard loved. We all agreed, seeking a catharsis to move us past this first real loss in our quite sheltered lives.

"We alighted our candles in the gloomy mausoleum and in their cheery light partook of wine and song and poppy, soon quite forgetting ourselves. As such, while I caught that Andre rearranged the candles and drew straight lines between, I failed to discern any pattern and thought nothing of it. When Andre led our song to show our love and our adoration and our devotion to this angel come down to us and taken back too early, I thought nothing of it. And when our chants changed to a call-and-repeat in the tongue I'd later learn was Har'Akiri, I thought nothing of it. But when I saw that ruby signet ring of Florian's, the one I'd so admired when I saw it during his last concert, still worn upon the withered hand that'd just ripped through the stone casket... It was then I realized I'd spent too much of my life not thinking."

- Hymn of the Dead by Donatien Naiffleur of Port-a-Lucine, semi-autobiographical
User avatar
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:59 pm
Location: Tanelorn, OH

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

Actually, Mr. Mangrum, is there any chance you're willing to post the stories for the other two Death's Horsemen? I'd really be interested in the one for Pestilence, if it's possible. Since we'll likely never see Death Undaunted it'd just be really cool to see those little snippets of story.
User avatar
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:29 am

Post by Mangrum »

I never quite got around to writing up Pestilence, but here's War:

Death's Horseman, War
“Reports came rushing in of a riot spreading through the South District, though no one could offer any guess as to what had sparked such unrest. I immediately dispatched every available constable to the scene, leading them myself. We soon reached a miserable scene — a street filled with men, women, and children all viciously hacking and bashing at each other with whatever weapons they could grab. I ordered my men in to end the violence, only to watch my own constables turn savage! They attacked everyone around them as mindlessly as the rioters themselves. I rushed ahead in horror, screaming at my men to stop — but so help me, I felt the bloodlust come over me as well. Before I could act, however, someone struck the back of my head and I fell to the cobbles, dazed. That was when I saw it. A terrible warrior, completely hidden beneath mauled black plate, rode past me on a mauled warhorse. It strode through the melee, the mindless killers parting for it. It struck me as a general inspecting its troops. But whatever that thing was, it was no living knight. Its voice alone made that quite clear.

"‘We know the fiery eye is near,’ it bellowed. ‘Know that we seek it! Know that we are! Know to fear us!’”

—Chief Constable Liam Osgul’s report, Martira Bay, August 755 BC
User avatar
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer
Posts: 5247
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:39 pm
Location: San Francisco CA

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Arak, teg [The Shadow Rift, Ravenloft Gazeeteer Volume 5]

Come all ye wild folk
Come without warning,
Come to wreak our mischief,
Gone before the morning.

Come while the humans sleep,
Take them unawares,
Come join the High Hunt,
Chase the men like hares.

Sing herry-down, derry-down
Sing we all together,
Sing for the wild wind and the stormy weather.


from the Marcusen Manuscript, trans. G. Weathermay-Foxgrove

arak, gwytune [Ravenloft Gazetter Volume 5]

"He is a kidnapper, a slaver," I told the ram-horned man. "He is a murderer many times over, he killed my mother before my eyes."

"I cannot take part in a religious dispute," he said, shaking his head slowly. "I am totally unacquainted with your respective dogmas and can hardly help you resolve this sort of question."

I despaired; but then my eyes fell to the book he held, as gently as if it were his own babe in arms. "He has committed book-murder," I said, staring the faerie in the eye. "Thousands of books he has burned."

"A fiend, a devil!" the ram-man exclaimed. "He must be brought to justice!"

Excerpt from the testimony of Moran Darksburg regarding the death of Talon Riens Esbeck
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 965
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 9:55 am

Post by Brandi »

Arak, brag [The Shadow Rift, Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey]

"Ayuh, Thaddeus is one of my best men now," the old man said, "but during his 'prenticeship I thought I was going to have to send him packing. If he applied himself he was fine, but he had a way of lettin' his mind wander and messin' up work-- and then cussin' or throwin' tools around.

"Well, one day it was goin' especial bad and Thaddy was in a real temper. When he hit his thumb hammerin' down a hoop, he just about turned the air blue with his cursin'... and then I heard a high voice sayin', 'Well, perhaps if you knew something about working with your hands you wouldn't waste so much work waggling your tongue.'

"We both turned and there was a wee fellow there-- one of those halflin's, we thought, but I'm not so sure now-- just standin' there like he'd been there for hours, lookin' at us and shakin' his head. Thaddy got red in the face and said 'And what makes you think you can talk so big, little man?' and spat at his feet.

"The halflin' let out a loud snort like Master Henry's old plowhorse and then faster than I can tell ye he jumped right up and gave Thaddy a kick in the chest that knocked him off the bench-- and I'll be damned if Thaddy didn't suddenly let out a neigh like a bloody horse and try runnin' after the little guy on all fours yet! The halflin' laughed and... well, he was just *gone*.

"Took me and two other 'prentices to get hold of Thaddy-- took a kick in the shin for that, and Jo got a nasty bite-- and we ended up havin' to hobble him with ropes. Even then, Thaddy wouldn't stop whinnyin' for hours.

"Ezra be praised, he was fine the next day, and sometimes I wonder if the small man meant to kick the sense out of Thaddy or back into him. Oh, he still loses his temper now and again, but when he gets in too much of a temper--" here, the old man let out a chuckle-- "I just bring this out at tea and he straightens right up." And he patted a worn leather feedbag on the bench beside him.

Interview with cooper Giles Bennett, found among the Weathermay-Foxgrove's notes for the Guide to the Shadow Fey. An annotation in the handwriting of Gennifer Weathermay-Foxgrove suggests that this story was omitted from the final manuscript for reasons unknown.

ETA: Dammit, I'm almost certain this is too long. :cry:
User avatar
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 1842
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:28 pm
Location: Tiptree, Home of Jam

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Alhoon [Lords of Madness]:

"It was a dry, papery sound that was out of place in the damp cavern that first drew my concern. We eventually found Korivr and Renee. The poor girl had a hole in the front of her skull. Her mind ripped away. I threw up as Howard asked Korivr what he saw.

"All he could do was mutter uncomprehensively under his breath. It was then I saw It, in all Its glorious magesty. It stood like a triuphant God, it's holy being infusing my mind. I watched as it used its tentacles to rip Howard's mind apart.

"But it left me alive, and now I worship it."

-Extract from Claude DuBec's psychological profile, transcripted by Dr Illhousen
Last edited by Drinnik Shoehorn on Mon May 08, 2006 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
User avatar
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 1842
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:28 pm
Location: Tiptree, Home of Jam

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Arcane Heads [The Nightmare Lands]:

"It was scary, Mummy. They came and the nasty woman was there. They bounced and screamed and sang. Just heads, Mummy, just heads! But I saw Daddy and Granpapa! Does that mean they're dead, Mummy, because they're just heads in my dream?

"Mummy, when is Daddy coming home?"

- A story recounted by Jane Mycroft, after her daughter was found dead in her bed.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
User avatar
Joël of the FoS
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7077
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:24 pm
Gender: Male
Location: St-Damien, Québec

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Similar monsters so the TTTT have something in common...

Aquatic ooze, bloodbloater [Fiend Folio]

“While I was in the swamp to fish my dog’s diner, I saw strange disgusting jelly-like things in the water when we passed in one brook. I do not usually mind floating things in the water but these repulsive things seemed to gather in my swamp boat trail and follow my boat... Just before they left my boat trail to flock around my hunting dog, I think there were more then a hundred of these odd floating blobs! Before I could catch his leash, my dog jumped in the water to run after a large meaty frog. I didn’t really see what happened to the animal, because bushes prevented me to witness his death, but my dog yelped in pain for a moment before its last scream was drowned in the water … What was these things? My dog drowned and I found nothing but these floating nauseating amoeba things. I left this place as quick as I could.”

As told by a young noble in Souragne


Aquatic ooze, flotsam ooze [Fiend Folio]

The swamp hunter then told us about a strange thing he saw once in the marshes when he was young. Still after all these years, he seemed quite shocked by this bad memory. In his childhood, he said, he and his friends once found an odd floating heap of debris: rocks, branches, wooden planks and similar things. One of them dared prodding the heap with a spear, thinking it hid rodents that would be fun to frighten. To his surprise, his spear was glued to the thing but worse a gelatinous tentacle came from under the water surface and hit him! It held him there, and more tentacles hit him while he was drowned in the water, screaming!



Aquatic ooze, reekmurk [Fiend Folio]

“During year 740, large waves disturbed the cold waters north of Lamordia, you might remember these weird times. Well, in 740, one night, it is after one of these monstrous treacherous waves that our boat capsized. All of us were able to swim and get on the top of the metallic hull. We thought we were lucky to escape this event with our lives. Then we smelled something horrible, much worse than when we retrieve rotten fishes in the water and their stench arrive at our nostrils, believe me. Then we saw “it”, but it looked like a large cloud of squid ink. We screamed when a dirty black tentacle came from this cloud, and began prodding the hull until it grabbed one of my sailors by the leg. His flesh burned like if acid as struck him! It swiftly dragged him in the water before we could help him and he was swallowed by the ink cloud. The tentacle came back for its horrible prodding after about half an hour, but we managed to escape its grasp. After a few minutes of this terror, the sun’s first ray came at the horizon, and the thing left. I still have no idea what this thing was… We were rescued by a merchant boat a few hours later.”

Tavern tale, by old “Captain” Haskins
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
User avatar
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer
Posts: 5247
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:39 pm
Location: San Francisco CA

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Arak, portune

GWF: It must be difficult to organize so many books! If one were mis-shelved you might never find it again.
PLC: Actually, that's very rare indeed; our librarians are very industrious. Here is our terrarium (here we looked at the small garden located at the center of the Great Library). Replete with tortoise and light-lizards. We give them the run of the library, when they choose to have it. Mascots, you might say.

From G. Weathermay-Foxgrove's notes on her visit to the Great Library of Port-a-Lucine, guided by head curator Pierre Lacomte.

Arak, alven

"Never you take a flower from that meadow, sir!" she told me, her old eyes bright and strange. "When I was but a wee thing my sister plucked but one flower from it, a sweet bright daisy, and put it in her hair; and that very night the fey-folk came and plucked every hair from her head, and made little wreathes of golden hair for the flowers, as those that saw it told us, for we could never dare to venture there for many a year after."

Bertram Mac Laren, Sixty Nights in Tepest
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
User avatar
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:29 am

Post by Mangrum »

Wow, I have to say, I'm really impressed. Since there's just two A monsters left, I'm going to open up the letter B... but I'll do it in a new thread.
Matthew L. Martin
Arch-villain
Arch-villain
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:49 pm
Contact:

Post by Matthew L. Martin »

Astral construct

"Master Ulathar did not even turn to face us, but as we approached, we found a monstrosity in our midst. A titan shaped of a hard, glistening, milky-white substance, it was as though the very Mists had crystallized into an ogre out of legend. Even before it had fully manifested, it lashed out at us with its long, many-jointed claws. Without even trying, I could sense the aura of hatred and egomania, so like to Master Ulathar's, that surrounded our adversary's new minion. It was congealed madness, pride and malice given shape."

--from the journals of Matthew Swiftsinger of Skald
Post Reply