Phantom of the Opera

Books, movies, television and everything else
The_God_Brain
Conspirator
Conspirator

Phantom of the Opera

Post by The_God_Brain »

Just to let you know...anyone who hasn't seen the new Phantom of the Opera movie should go do so as soon as possible. The movie is simply amazing. Emmy Rossum is breathtaking as Christine, and Gerard Butler is simply amazing as The Phantom. Butler is better known for his portrayal of Dracula in the horribly trite Dracula 2000, and is rumored to be selected to play the next James Bond. Another spectacular performance is given by Minnie Driver as the mind-numbingly obnoxious Carlotta. Driver, who is usually stunningly beautiful, is done up like a freakish, mutant peacock. Driver, who actually has a wonderful singing voice, does not do any of Carlotta's singing because it was just to hard to sing THAT bad...seriously, you can actually hear the spash as sailors leap from their ships crashing on the rocks as she croons and shrills. However, Driver does sing the only song in the movie that was written exclusively for the film: Learn to be Lonely, the song that plays as the credits roll up at the end of the film.

The bottom line is: watch this film. Its simply amazing.
[url]http://www.soundclick.com/godbrain[/url] check out my music.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I missed this one at the cinema so I'll have to wait for the DVD. I made the wrong decision and went to see Blade Trinity first (I wasn't impressed). I was meant to see Phantom a couple of nights later, but wasn't up for it (was feeling a bit Blah!) and they didn't keep it a second week :(
Swallow your soul!
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Jennifer Elison is supposed to be good in this film.

Not bad for a girl who was brought up on a rough Liverpool estate and starred in Brookside, eh?
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
The_God_Brain
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by The_God_Brain »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:Jennifer Elison is supposed to be good in this film.

Not bad for a girl who was brought up on a rough Liverpool estate and starred in Brookside, eh?
Oh yeah...she's great. And, I'm not just saying that as a man who really, really likes breasts but...pay attention to her during the Masquerade song. She has an amazing singing voice as well, and the woman who plays her mother (Miranda Richardson) is spectacular as well. But Jennifer...oh my...

http://www.mercedesslips.com/Jennifer_E ... e_Slip.jpg
Scipio
Lord of the Repubic of Monte Mal
Lord of the Repubic of Monte Mal

Post by Scipio »

Oh, God Brain, you really are predictable sometimes.

Unfortunately I haven't had the money to see this yet, and the friend who was sneaking me into movies for a while got fired from the theater (not for sneaking me in if that's what you're thinking.) So I may have to wait to see it. :(
Dr. Cornelius Scipio, Rogue monster hunter, and owner of the Inn of the Drunken Wolf.

Rumors of my death are mildly exaggerated. I got better.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

The_God_Brain wrote:[Miranda Richardson
Mmmmm.... Miranda Richardson *drools*
Swallow your soul!
Xanthippe
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Xanthippe »

God Brain, I totally agree with you! I'd never seen the show before, or read the book, so I was interested in seeing what all the fuss was about. I was caught unawares by some of the trite dialogue, but I blame Webber for that. The casting was absolutely IMPECCABLE!!! It really helped me become completely involved in the characters and storyline.

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous!

Oh, and... Gerard Butler *drool*
[size=84]"Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain." -Friedrich Schiller[/size]
The_God_Brain
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by The_God_Brain »

Xanthippe wrote:God Brain, I totally agree with you! I'd never seen the show before, or read the book, so I was interested in seeing what all the fuss was about. I was caught unawares by some of the trite dialogue, but I blame Webber for that. The casting was absolutely IMPECCABLE!!! It really helped me become completely involved in the characters and storyline.

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous!

Oh, and... Gerard Butler *drool*
Yeah, thats how my wife felt about him. He's good, and I'm glad he's getting into better movies. There is enough eye candy in this movie for people off all orientations and genders...unless you are like into kids or animals but, ew! Its not very often that a movie this visually stunning and full of beautiful people can also be such a work of art.

As for me being predicatable...well, ok. I usually just say what a lot of other people are thinking.
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Phantom of the Opera

Post by The Nightmare Man »

The_God_Brain wrote:The bottom line is: watch this film. Its simply amazing.
I'll second the God Brain's comments and suggest you all go and rent the DVD (or even purchase it) once it becomes available.

I've seen the original film, and the threatre production twice... This latest adaptation simply creates a whole new dimension for fans young and old to appreciate this grand masterpiece. It's unlikely to win any major film awards... but that doesn't matter. It's a timeless story that shouldn't be measured by such temporal concepts as movie awards.
"When she embraces
Your heart turns to stone
She comes at night when you are all alone
And when she whispers
Your blood shall run cold
You better hide before she finds you"
-- [i]Ice Queen[/i], Within Temptation
Lord_Kjeran
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Lord_Kjeran »

Chello!

And just so eevryone knows, the release date for the DVD is 05-03 (or is that 05?)...anyway, first Tuesday in May.

Phantom is very RL. Very.

Tony
Anthony N. Emmel
Scholar & Catholic Gentleman

"It was an age of dark beliefs and of practises that were no less dark; and witchcraft and sorcery were rampant throughout the land, among all classes."
Clark Ashton Smith, "The Necromantic Tale"
Ivana_Boritsi
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Ivana_Boritsi »

You know, when I saw this movie, I thought: Damn. Raoul's hot. Well, I guess I can't blame Christine for going for....

And then I saw Gerard Butler as the Phantom. And then I was, like, DAMN! Okay, Raoul doesn't stand a chance.

:wink: :Ivana:
Now I know, now I can divine. The reign of man is over, and He has come....

-Guy De Maupassant
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

Oy frikkin' vey. :twisted:
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

The opening sequence brought my fiance to tears. To be honest, the singers were far from as good as the stage performance that sat in Toronto for ages, but they were quite good.

As far as I'm concerned, the opening sequence is the perfect place to look if you want inspiration for incorporating ethereal resonance into your game.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

The opening sequence really captured my attention, as did the set design for the cemetery scene, very well done.

The singing (I thought) ranged from good to average, depending on the cast member, Emmy Rossum was not right for the role, her voice was far to weak, alot of the cast did impress me though, especially Miranda (yummy *drools*) Richardson.

Still a very good movie, if let down by a few performances. It was the atmosphere, set and costume design that really won it for me, the chandelier falling was to slow for my tastes, it should be been truly ominous, but it should have fallen alot faster :twisted:
Swallow your soul!
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:The opening sequence really captured my attention, as did the set design for the cemetery scene, very well done.

The singing (I thought) ranged from good to average, depending on the cast member, Emmy Rossum was not right for the role, her voice was far to weak, alot of the cast did impress me though, especially Miranda (yummy *drools*) Richardson.

Still a very good movie, if let down by a few performances. It was the atmosphere, set and costume design that really won it for me, the chandelier falling was to slow for my tastes, it should be been truly ominous, but it should have fallen alot faster :twisted:
Yeah, it is a great movie, especially for the sets.

I don't know if who is aware of this, but in the original musical, the chandelier falls after the scene where Raoul and Christine pledge their love on the roof top, at the death of the stage hand occurs during Don Juan Triumphant.

They had to make some lyric changes because of this. In Masqurade, it went from

"To a prosperous year."

"To a new chandelier."

to

"To a prosperous year."

"To our friends that are here."

Also, "Notes" is more amusing in the stage version. If you can track down an original cast recording of the song, you'll see what I mean.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".