It is back!!! What we do know about VR Guide to Ravenloft?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: It is back!!! What we do know about VR Guide to Ravenlof

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Also this...

Jacqueline Renier Mistress of Kitsch...

What's with all this rat fur? Good thing it is not obvious she likes rats.

She looks like Cruella DeVille (without the half white hair-style) but instead of Dalmation dogs she prefers rat fur.
Attachments
Jackie.jpg
Jackie.jpg (160.5 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
Last edited by Mephisto of the FoS on Sat May 15, 2021 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I have to say that one of the things I miss form the new edition is a large color map. But since there is no Core probably they thought that no map was needed. But on the other hand both TSR boxed sets had maps of Islands of Terror as also the accessory Islands of Terror, had coloured maps. Also having so many domains mentioned just in one paragraph without any map reference is a big disadvantage compared to past editions but also as a book for a setting even if it was a new one.
3rd edition Ravenloft had a limited edition coloured map I think, but it was never distributed in my country, so I don't have it. But 3rd edition had on it's main book all the maps of all the domains. Even "more detailed" domains like Bluetspur don't have a map in the 5th edition.
Last edited by Mephisto of the FoS on Sat May 15, 2021 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

That is an awful picture of Jacqueline. She only ever wears black, and Louise is drawn to colour. It’s a plot point in Scholar of Decay when Louise convinces her to wear a different colour dress to the final ball of the season to fulfil her plan.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:That is an awful picture of Jacqueline. She only ever wears black, and Louise is drawn to colour. It’s a plot point in Scholar of Decay when Louise convinces her to wear a different colour dress to the final ball of the season to fulfil her plan.
I didn't remember that but when you mentioned it I remembered Louise convincing her to dress differently.
In the new image I guess there was the dilemma if funny furry slippers or crocs were more appropriate for a night dress.
Last edited by Mephisto of the FoS on Sat May 15, 2021 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Wow, that picture of Jacqueline really made me laugh. The rat-faced slippers, especially. ^_^
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

In the new setting, Louise's role has changed from the old canon. When Jacqueline turned the rest of her family into wererats, Louise was the only one who resisted, so Jacqueline disfigured her and cast her out.

Now I like to imagine the scene playing out like "You WILL wear the rat slippers, Louise!" "Neveeeeeer!'" :mrgreen:
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Igor the Henchman wrote:In the new setting, Louise's role has changed from the old canon. When Jacqueline turned the rest of her family into wererats, Louise was the only one who resisted, so Jacqueline disfigured her and cast her out.

Now I like to imagine the scene playing out like "You WILL wear the rat slippers, Louise!" "Neveeeeeer!'" :mrgreen:
Caude Renier domain formation was really good and the article in QtR on him really well written and interesting
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Igor the Henchman wrote:In the new setting, Louise's role has changed from the old canon.
Because of course it has.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

As most articles this is mentioning a lot of stuff from the upcoming book but in relation to other 5th edition products. As if CoS was more important than the 2nd edition which is mentioned only briefly

"In 1990 Ravenloft became a full campaign setting in a boxed set for 2nd Edition. Ravenloft is part of the Demiplane of Dread and was first listed as part of the Ethereal Plane. Now that demiplane is associated with the Shadowfell."

There is no mention of 3rd edition (naturally...) and everything written in this book refers to new players, there is no mention why old Ravenloft fans should buy the book (probably cause there is no reason to do so).

I am personally more interested so far in the new magic rules of Hazlan than anything else in this book. I don't believe I will iIncorporate any of the character changes and drastic domain changes. Only a few days left to it's release and still have second thoughts about buying it. So maybe there should be an article to convince old fans why to buy it. Then again maybe the campaign managers don't care about it, focusing more on new player's and expecting old fans to buy it out of collecting obsession.

So I have to ask a question about next QtR. Have members of the FoS thought of, if there will be an old Ravenloft section and a 5th edition section or this is something that should be mentioned in our articles in the article's intro?
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Or we could choose reconciliation, take and adapt what we like, and advance the Core's timeline.
If WotC has completely abandoned the Core, we can let our headcanon run pretty wild.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Mephisto wrote: So I have to ask a question about next QtR. Have members of the FoS thought of, if there will be an old Ravenloft section and a 5th edition section or this is something that should be mentioned in our articles in the article's intro?
As always. I expect we would welcome submissions from any edition, and not segregate them into sections. It should be obvious from reading a few paragraphs which continuity (If any) is being used.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Leliel
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Leliel »

Mephisto wrote:Also this...

Jacqueline Renier Mistress of Kitsch...

What's with all this rat fur? Good thing it is not obvious she likes rats.

She looks like Cruella DeVille (without the half white hair-style) but instead of Dalmation dogs she prefers rat fur.
I don't thing that's rat fur. Or at least, not the kind that isn't attached to the rats anymore. Or providing a service to the rats.

I dig the not-a-scarf, the shoes are silly. Given how she's presenting herself as having the ability to quarantine plagues, I think her advertising that rats obey her isn't a mistake - "oh look, I just convinced this plague to play nice. Aren't I swell?" Or given her expression, is making a threat.

Still has laughable shoes. 5e art is, shall we say, variable. Not anything new, but still: shoes.
I am The Archangel of Night.
I am the Guardian of Shadow
I am the Vindicator of the Unknown
I am..Leliel.
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

I'd imagine she only dresses like that when socializing with other wererats. Which is probably most of the time, what with Pont-a-Museau under permanent quarantine.
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

I imagine that picture to be a political cartoon, commissioned in secret by a rival.

Anything outside of that is ridiculous. Though, it does fit in with the Scooby Doo reference...
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

Rock wrote:If WotC has completely abandoned the Core, we can let our headcanon run pretty wild.
I'm with you on this one. A vampire riding atop a tyrannosaurus rex happened and made the Demiplane a better place for it.