maps update

Discussing all things Ravenloft
kourkenko
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Re: maps update

Post by kourkenko »

Joël of the FoS wrote:I just bought the software. Fun thing.

But it seems to me it works better with large scale places than smaller places like Ile the la Tempête?

But may be it's just me inexperienced with the software.

Looking forward to the dungeon software coming out soon.
Yes, i agree, it's weird at the beginning, to do good small place, create a huge map and reduce the size after, you can evenplace it in an another map if needed. I would also advice using the Mythkeeper interface to download and install free symbols made by modders.

So i finished my map of the Amber Wastes
VIEW CONTENT:
SO it's biiig and i'll use it as a second core, bigger than the first and way more hard to survive.
Starting at the south, i put a big living jungle, i'm working on rules and i'll map it later, i've already several ideas to make dimains in it (coming from the Wrath of the Immortals, the Ka's despoilers will be perfect)
Mubonyete coming from Naviggacio, Dabu is the "red sands" domain coming from 100 shades of grey and Narumbeki from the Southland setting (a werelion darklord). Katapesh is coming from the pathfinder Legacy of Fire adventure path (the efreet will be perfect as the djinn in the Wishmaster movie). Ur-Gurul is from 100 shade of grey (the vampire having to come back in time). Thoka is a domain from the article in a QotR about "domains that came before".
The rest is Osiron (pathfinder 's Mummy's mask adventure path). I put Kalidnay and the Obsidian Plain from Dark Sun. I'm not so sure about G'Henna, being isolated and suddendly being abble to have trade routes... I need to work on it.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

G'Henna could be surrounded by imposing natural barrier(s) that would block most traffic, like mist-shrouded reefs and dangerous mountains or the like. Combined with the of the way location, such natural barriers could keep out most of the travelers and traders.

If you can, I would refer to the 2e module Circle of Darkness for more G'Hennan geographical details and locations not detailed elsewhere (with a few specifically mentioned only on the map insert). Circle of Darkness is a great general resource for the domain, and the map is the most detailed one of G'Henna I know about.

Moving on to Theka, QtR 22 seem specifies 2 rivers running through it (see p. 148 for description and map).
kourkenko
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by kourkenko »

The Lesser Evil wrote:G'Henna could be surrounded by imposing natural barrier(s) that would block most traffic, like mist-shrouded reefs and dangerous mountains or the like. Combined with the of the way location, such natural barriers could keep out most of the travelers and traders.

If you can, I would refer to the 2e module Circle of Darkness for more G'Hennan geographical details and locations not detailed elsewhere (with a few specifically mentioned only on the map insert). Circle of Darkness is a great general resource for the domain, and the map is the most detailed one of G'Henna I know about.

Moving on to Theka, QtR 22 seem specifies 2 rivers running through it (see p. 148 for description and map).
Good advices. I followed them and updated the map. The reduced size is making the name of some locations unreadable so i'll pôst the final map on my deviantart account to have a correct map.
VIEW CONTENT:
About the obsidian plain, i found this on Athas.org some years ago.
The dragon's back is a moutain with big smooth parts which make them impossible to climb. The Tari's Wood was used to kill an army by making the trees growing at an insane rate, undeads are stuck in the trunks and branches of the trees. The reeve is a chasm created by a mage when two armies were clashing. the two armies fall to their deaths and now the chasm is full of thousands of undeads who continue the battle. They dug tunnels and each day they come back to fight again and again.
The gray's gate is an almost closed portal to the negative energy plane and the citadel is acting like a beacon for undead, only them can enter and nothing is know about it. And tha wayfire sea is made with liquid obsidian insanely hot.
Galm
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Galm »

Sounds great, I'd play the hell out of that. Is it ready already, or are you still working on it?
kourkenko
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by kourkenko »

Galm wrote:Sounds great, I'd play the hell out of that. Is it ready already, or are you still working on it?
I just finished it.
VIEW CONTENT:
To push players to explore, i'll use Ankhepot. Imo, it's an underused (and kind of uber powerful) darklord. He'll create a Shabti (a pathfinder PC race) to lure the dark power, evade his domain and build a network of allies and servitors to got his revenge upon his tormentors.
My players will have to chase after him and try to prevent him to conquer the Amber Wastes.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Ok, don't laugh, here's my first attempt :)

I took an easy one to start, Ile de la Tempête!

Please comment if needed!

(v1 removed)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

And here's a try at Borca. That is where my curent campaign is, and I wanted a map I could toy with and add things. Please comment as needed!

(v1 removed)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Joël of the FoS wrote:Ok, don't laugh, here's my first attempt :)

I took an easy one to start, Ile de la Tempête!

Please comment if needed!
Nifty! I like how treacherous you made the approach to the island, very nice and detailed. Are the dots supposed to represent micro-islands? Considering the scale, the ships may be a bit too large, unless they are more metaphorical representations of ship wreck sites that could contain multiple boats.

As for the island itself, I like how you've mixed up the island terrain with the colors a bit. You're missing the shipwreck shore on the west/southerwestern side from the Nocturnal Sea Gazetteer. The placing of the lighthouse is not that far from its placement in the Nocturnal Sea Gazetteer, although this conflicts with canon. The lighthouse is placed closer to the center in the maps in the canon third Edition campaign setting/ravenloft player's handbook maps. Darklords also says the lighthouse and accompanying spire are stated to be in the center of the island.
Joël of the FoS wrote:And here's a try at Borca. That is where my curent campaign is, and I wanted a map I could toy with and add things. Please comment as needed!
Again, liked the efforts you put in to detail the topography of the domain. Provided you can do it without making the map too "busy", I think it might be useful to label the various notable geographical features (rivers, forests, mountain regions, etc.) as personally I tend to get them confused if not marked. However, that may or may not be a problem for you. You may also want to place the House of Lament in western Borca if it's "settled down" in your campaign.

The main point of critique I actually have is that Lake Srebo is supposed to be closer to Mount Gries, like at its southern/southeastern base, such that the river that flows east and north around the mountain's backside. Ilvin might be a scooch too far from the road too.
Joël of the FoS

The Lesser Evil wrote: Nifty! I like how treacherous you made the approach to the island, very nice and detailed. Are the dots supposed to represent micro-islands? Considering the scale, the ships may be a bit too large, unless they are more metaphorical representations of ship wreck sites that could contain multiple boats.

As for the island itself, I like how you've mixed up the island terrain with the colors a bit. You're missing the shipwreck shore on the west/southerwestern side from the Nocturnal Sea Gazetteer. The placing of the lighthouse is not that far from its placement in the Nocturnal Sea Gazetteer, although this conflicts with canon. The lighthouse is placed closer to the center in the maps in the canon third Edition campaign setting/ravenloft player's handbook maps. Darklords also says the lighthouse and accompanying spire are stated to be in the center of the island.
Thanks for the comments!

Here's v2.

- The micro dots are rocks where the boats do wreck. Indeed the rocks and the boats are way too big compared to a ten mile island, but that's a limitation of the map software :) If they were to scale, they would be barely visible.

- Added : more wrecks in the western shore indeed (should have known, I'm the writer of this chapter :) )

- When I wrote this, I chose to move the lighthouse on a 100' high cliff, at the top of the island (instead of at the center, as per canon). So you (probably) land via pebble beach, then slowly move upward through the barren rocky island toward the topmost. Meanwhile, the lighthouse is never out of view, inescapable, nowhere to hide.
Ile de la Tempête JP 02-2020 v2.png
Ile de la Tempête JP 02-2020 v2.png (1.13 MiB) Viewed 1558 times
Joël of the FoS

On my map, there's a forest exactly in the middle of the triangle formed by the locations of Sturben, Vor Ziyden and Ilvin.

Anybody knows the name of this forest? Can't find it from Gaz 4.
Joël of the FoS

The Lesser Evil wrote: Again, liked the efforts you put in to detail the topography of the domain. Provided you can do it without making the map too "busy", I think it might be useful to label the various notable geographical features (rivers, forests, mountain regions, etc.) as personally I tend to get them confused if not marked.
In the plans, when the geographical base version is final, I'll make another one with indexed maps, forest, roads, and other geograhical features. And the ancient Borca/Dorvinia limit.

I plan to add also the locations of major local "barons" lands, as there could be a tug of war between Ivan and Ivana IMC, and some landowners might be in the middle.

You'll notice the canon road linking Levkarest to the south (toward Zeidenburg) doesn't exist IMC.
You may also want to place the House of Lament in western Borca if it's "settled down" in your campaign.
Doesn't exist so far IMC.
The main point of critique I actually have is that Lake Srebo is supposed to be closer to Mount Gries, like at its southern/southeastern base, such that the river that flows east and north around the mountain's backside. Ilvin might be a scooch too far from the road too.
Corrected both. It wasn't clear on the map on which side of the river was Ilvin located, but the WE had more info.

Here's the new map : (removed)
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

I have kept Borca and Dorvinia separated, andf my Ile de la Tempete will be bigger and full of peoples. But this maps are nice.
Joël of the FoS

So, I have a lot of time to do things (don't know what's happening out there, it is so quiet ... :) )

Here's the final version of Borca, with index of roads, rivers, forests and places.

Borca map index
(and related page of Gaz 4)

Borca domain pop : 34 200

Cities : Levkarest and Caina (pop 8 500, p 35), Sturben (pop 2 020, p 33), Lechberg (pop 5 500, p 33), Misericordia (p 36), Degravo (p 34), Vor Ziyden (pop 1 200, Web Enh), Ilvin (pop 4 100, WE)

R1 Crimson Hwy (p 10,12)
R2 Lech’s Rd (p 12)
R3 Scythe Rd (p 12)
R4 Old Svalish Rd (p 12)
R5 Levkarest – Invidia path (not canon)
R6 Ilvin – Vor Ziyden Rd (not canon)

Missing from map : Rd from Levkarest to Zeidenburg

F1 Blightwood Forest (p 9)
F2 House of Sages Forest (p 9)
F3 Viorea Forest (p 10)
F4 ? Forest
F5 Tainted Woods Forest (p 10)
F6 Zieden Forest (p 10)
F7 Twinwood Forest (Royal Grove) (p 11)

W1 Luna River (p 9, 11)
W2 Vasha River (p 9, 11)
W3 Strecura River (p 9, 11)
W4 Srebo Lake (p 11)

G1 Balinoks Mountains (p 9)
G2 Steading Land (p 10)
G3 Mount Gries (p 10)
G4 Doldak Heights (p 10, 11)

borca6windex.png
borca6windex.png (1.66 MiB) Viewed 1522 times
kourkenko
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by kourkenko »

I really like your maps, a lot of works was needed.
Joël of the FoS

kourkenko wrote:I really like your maps, a lot of works was needed.
A whole day for the first :) and then about 4 h total for Borca. Learning curve going well.

I'm toying with the idea of making Levkarest :)