Carcosa in Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Buzzclaw
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Carcosa in Ravenloft

Post by Buzzclaw »

I'm probably going to write up something more detailed on my blog, but how would you guys make a domain based on Geoff McKinney's Ravenloft?
:arrow: Sorcerers already a lot of vile stuff so I can only see one going over the line to Darklordom if a sacrifice was a close relative (but then again one ritual requires the death of an infant son)
:arrow: I could see an obsessed Lawful fighter loaded with alien tech waking an Old One just to kill it, leaving a swath of death and destruction could become a Darklord
:arrow: A Spawn of Shub-Niggurath rebelling against the Old Ones? Darklord material?
:arrow: There need to be sources of alien tech: Abandoned cache or active factories? Both?
:arrow: Would the supersmart Space Aliens/Great Race/Primordial Ones notice something amiss with Ravenloft?
:arrow: Carcosan humans can't interbreed with each other or "normal" humans and have the same lifespans. Maintaining viable populations for all the 13(?) races of Carcosa would require a lot of space unless something spawns them or somebody does some magic
:arrow: Speaking of spawn, would you include a source for them? Maybe a chunk of Shub-Niggurath?
:arrow: How many Old Ones should be wandering around? 1? 0?
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Carcosa in Ravenloft

Post by ewancummins »

1 Use the thirteen steps of corruption model, not the shorter, original Ravenloft, path.
2 Apply powers checks to sorcerers just as you would to anyone else. That means sorcerers will all eventually become 'creatures of Ravenloft' and possibly darklords.
3 The Land includes a lot of small domains inhabited by darklord-sorcerers and eldritch horrors and mad cults.
4 conjunctions between domains and other worlds occur whenever the Stars Are Right.
5 Sorcerers may know rituals of conjuring that rip people and creatures and things from other worlds.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)