POVERO

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: POVERO

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Fild pats the shortsword in his hip. "I'm a warrior." He simply says. "I had years of training in underbelly of the gnomish Ghetto and I follow the family tradition that requires each member to go out to the world, explore and grow and return back wiser and more worldly. I'm also a good and experienced plumber and could help your mansion with the lead pipes if you so desire. If you're more interested in gifts, I could, with time, provide leaden miniatures.
However, to be sincere I would prefer a more... active kind of employment sir Folbre. Is that the right way to address you? Sir Folbre? Master Folbre?" Fild said having lost his train of thought and diverting.
"I'm not that used in human etiquette and while you seem quite comfortable around me, I don't want to offend those around you. In my time with humans, I've learned that the lord may ignore a lapse of etiquette but the lord's butler and courtiers will be scandalized.

Anyway, I digress. I'm sure you have trusty bodyguards and allies to protect you and your merchandise. I believe, although I don't represent the whole group, that we would be more useful to you as your unknown allies. People know you, people know your employees and guards, but they don't know us.
I don't do dirty jobs though sir. You don't seem the kind to ask for someone to disappear in the night, but I still want it to be clear."
" In any formal situation, you ought to refer to a person of my standing as Master. In the case of the heads of the great families, appending the family name is the correct way--but only for the family head and leader. In an informal situation, you might refer to me as signore, or even simply Aldron. Using my given name like that assumes familiarity. I didn't hold it against you because that is how I introduced myself to Tom and Gertie, and because it would be silly of my to expect a gnome from another country or city to know our local customs. "
He shrugs.
"As for the rest--dirty jobs? No. But I have to admit I have considered bending the law at times to help a friend in need, or to help my community. And unknown allies...now, there is something clever in that. Maybe you are right. "
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

Titus

Titus elects to head for the temple district first, to pay obeisance to the local clergy.
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

The mage waits a moment for a lull, and intrudes "I am Alfonse Debusin, master. I studied the arcane arts at the University of Ferrantio," he says and, with a suitable flourish, casts a spell of light onto his dinner fork, revealing the glow to the noble. "My talents are at your disposal."

He smiles and snuffs the light from the fork.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:The mage waits a moment for a lull, and intrudes "I am Alfonse Debusin, master. I studied the arcane arts at the University of Ferrantio," he says and, with a suitable flourish, casts a spell of light onto his dinner fork, revealing the glow to the noble. "My talents are at your disposal."

He smiles and snuffs the light from the fork.
"Ah, Ferrantio. Someday I should like to see the library there."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

ewancummins wrote: "Ah, Ferrantio. Someday I should like to see the library there."
"Indeed, it is quite a sight. I spent many hours there," Alfonse responds, thinking to himself though many of them were spent sleeping.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:Titus

Titus elects to head for the temple district first, to pay obeisance to the local clergy.

LATER THAT SAME DAY, AT THE CIVIC TEMPLE

TITUS has found his way to the city temple of POVERO. It is not the only place of worship and sacrifice in the city, but it is by all accounts the largest such site.
From the street, the massive, domed , marble and granite building presents an impressive front, replete with cravings of various mythological and allegorical scenes. The crystal panes of rondel windows, set high, glint in the sun.
Great double doors of oak reinforced with bronze stand open atop a short, wide stairway that mounts from the paved street.

Going inside, Titus passes through an antechamber decorated with oil paintings and frescoes set on either wall. Temple guards in mail, armed with swords and buckles, stand guard. They allow pedestrians free passage in and out, but he may notice that that they pay close attention to persons as they pass under the great stone arch of the main doors.

A trickle of people enter with him.

(If he looks back and up at the archway from the inside, he sees that it is decorated with images of winged angelic figures bearing lanterns, swords, and trumpets.)

Titus is admitted to the main chamber of the basilica by guards who keep an inner, beautifully engraved door.
Before him the great circular central room opens up. Light spills in through a round window set in the dome vault. Lesser windows pierce the high part of the walls. Mosaic covers the floor. He counts ten alcoves in the walls, each reachable by a short dais. Three of the alcoves , adjacent to one another, remain partly hidden behind black curtains.
The others stand open, each with a statue and an altar.

The small number of people who have come in with Titus now disperse around the chamber. Some go to one alcove, some to another. He sees no obvious pattern to their actions, at least not at first glance.
VIEW CONTENT:
Checks against RELIGION, ARTISTIC ABILITY, and OBSERVATION NWPs may yield more information.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Tom takes moment to study better the room, it was pleasant and judging by the man's downstairs behavior Aldron seems to go there often for private conversation. After Alfonse's spell Tom pats his bows and says:

"Master Aldron, you already know that I can fight with my sword but you haven't seen me with my bow and I assure you that I'm even better with that one. I'm rather good also as a scout and to find people, Gem is precious to this task, actually he is doing most of it!"

Tom caresses the dog' head again.

"I have trained him myself, but you already told me that you have a man for this job. Even if I'm a new to the city give me some time and I can help you with information, gather, diffuse etc. I notice details and I happen to be close to people when they are talking and happen to listen. As for dirty jobs, well it depends what you mean by that. I will not go against the law but I do know that some boundaries can be rather thin. I will not deny that I like money but I will not sell my soul for that."

Tom's glance passes from each group member before return to Aldron.

"You are an intelligent man Master Aldron, I'm sure you will find a job for us and I second Fild's idea. Your enemies and almsot anyone in Povero know you and your bodyguards, well apart of those that saw us here with you tonight nobody has ever seen us and cannot associate us with you. We can be your eyes in town, your men for an inside job or those that you will send to do a gray area job without rising suspicion. Newcomers can often get lost and go to places they shouldn't be, or ask questions that someone is afraid to or meet someone etc."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Tom takes moment to study better the room, it was pleasant and judging by the man's downstairs behavior Aldron seems to go there often for private conversation. After Alfonse's spell Tom pats his bows and says:

"Master Aldron, you already know that I can fight with my sword but you haven't seen me with my bow and I assure you that I'm even better with that one. I'm rather good also as a scout and to find people, Gem is precious to this task, actually he is doing most of it!"

Tom caresses the dog' head again.

"I have trained him myself, but you already told me that you have a man for this job. Even if I'm a new to the city give me some time and I can help you with information, gather, diffuse etc. I notice details and I happen to be close to people when they are talking and happen to listen. As for dirty jobs, well it depends what you mean by that. I will not go against the law but I do know that some boundaries can be rather thin. I will not deny that I like money but I will not sell my soul for that."

Tom's glance passes from each group member before return to Aldron.

"You are an intelligent man Master Aldron, I'm sure you will find a job for us and I second Fild's idea. Your enemies and almsot anyone in Povero know you and your bodyguards, well apart of those that saw us here with you tonight nobody has ever seen us and cannot associate us with you. We can be your eyes in town, your men for an inside job or those that you will send to do a gray area job without rising suspicion. Newcomers can often get lost and go to places they shouldn't be, or ask questions that someone is afraid to or meet someone etc."
"Your friend Fild brought up dirty jobs. I have no intention of sending anyone to do foul deeds on my behalf-- not you, or others."

A knock sounds at the door.
Aldron says,"Enter."

Servants come in with jugs of wine and trays of food.

Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Povero Civic Temple

Titus heads for the alcove of Povero's home deity. Out of respect, he kneels and prays.

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:Povero Civic Temple

Titus heads for the alcove of Povero's home deity. Out of respect, he kneels and prays.

TITUS
AT THE CIVIC TEMPLE

The life sized, heroic bronze image of a man stands above a low altar within an alcove situated between the wall niches of the Speaker in Storms and the Winged Victrix. The statue's right arm is lifted as if shading its gaze with the hand held stiff above the eyes. Its left arm is bent at the elbow with the hand resting on the pommel of a scabbarded sword. The metal looks clean and bright, but the style of the statue seems antiquated even to one who is no expert on art. A real, apparently fresh and green laurel decks the image's brow.
A small plaque set at the base reads:
PERNOLD THE VIGILANT
HE WATCHES STILL

The altar set beneath and before the statue consists of a black marble box, shallow and open at the top, with a central drain of gold grillwork.

As Titus finishes his prayers before the statue and altar, he hears a bird coo and flap nearby.

An old woman in brick red robes approaches him after he ends his prayer. She carries a wicker cage divided into three sections, each containing a live dove.
The crone bows.
" Would the signore like to offer blood sacrifice? One silver penny will gain him the pick of these fine animals, spotless, perfect, raised on the holy precincts and hand fed by servants of the gods. And, indeed, also the use of a knife blessed by the temple priests. "

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

ewancummins wrote:
"Your friend Fild brought up dirty jobs. I have no intention of sending anyone to do foul deeds on my behalf-- not you, or others."

Aldron says,"Enter."

Alfonse holds up a wineglass for service. "Well good, I think we've confirmed that no one on any side is interested in dirty deeds. So what sort of clean ones do you think we can help you with?" he takes a sip from his now filled wine glass, "I know it's most likely the muggers were street toughs that picked you out, but do you have any enemies who may have sent them? We could investigate..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:
ewancummins wrote:

Aldron says,"Enter."

Alfonse holds up a wineglass for service. "Well good, I think we've confirmed that no one on any side is interested in dirty deeds. So what sort of clean ones do you think we can help you with?" he takes a sip from his now filled wine glass, "I know it's most likely the muggers were street toughs that picked you out, but do you have any enemies who may have sent them? We could investigate..."
Aldron says,

"Yes. Let's find out if they were working for anyone. This can be your first job for me. I'll pay you, let's say, twenty silver pence each. Half tomorrow, the balance when you have answers. Is that agreeable?"

Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

ewancummins wrote:robes approaches him after he ends his prayer. She carries a wicker cage divided into three sections, each containing a live dove.
The crone bows.
" Would the signore like to offer blood sacrifice? One silver penny will gain him the pick of these fine animals, spotless, perfect, raised on the holy precincts and hand fed by servants of the gods. And, indeed, also the use of a knife blessed by the temple priests. "
Titus pulls three silvers out of his purse.

"I'll take all three."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE CIVIC TEMPLE
Varrus the Ethical wrote:
ewancummins wrote:robes approaches him after he ends his prayer. She carries a wicker cage divided into three sections, each containing a live dove.
The crone bows.
Titus pulls three silvers out of his purse.

"I'll take all three."

The woman takes the birds out, one at a time, and ties the feet of each with a bit of string. Titus can see now that their wing feathers have been clipped (which, he knows does not constitute imperfection in local religious custom, so long as the animal was not injured in any way). She coos to the birds, calming them.
She then gives Titus a steel knife and a little pouch of birdseed.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Tom smiles:

"You can count me in. Did you have time to look at them carefully by any chance? Was any of them familiar? I haven't noticed anything special in their clothes and weapons, did you? I know that you were pressed and defending yourself but you are clever man and may have noticed something. Also I know you said that you don't have any enemies but can you tell us more details about the other rich and important families you have mentioned? You are all doing same business or they have different like estates or agriculture etc?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!