The Halls of Medeia - Chapter 1

Online roleplaying at the Café
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Halls of Medeia - Chapter 1

Post by Alastor »

As he listens to Frances recount her investigations into the secretive actions of her fellow students, Niles remains silent and thoughtful.

At best, the behavior of these club members suggests some activity the staff would frown upon, but there is nothing to suggest anything truly sinister. With the mention of politics, Niles recalls his conversation with the teachers the previous night. Several students had suddenly begun to excell in that subject - could this be nothing but an elaborate cheating scheme?

Such a comforting theory was quickly dismissed when Frances hands over the scrap of paper however. Although, the figures on the page are unfamilar, Niles is certain they are not part of the undergraduate course of study. And upon seeing the symbol from Basil's medallion, he concludes that Frances has potentially discovered something nefarious.

"I fear you may be right, Frances." he tells the girl. "This group is doing something peculiar, perhaps dangerous. We should proceed carefully, particularly if a teacher may be involved. Please promise that you won't investigate further alone - we should ask for the help of a few trustworthy individuals to discover what is really happening, then decide whether to approach the Headmistress about this."

Or the police. Niles thinks to himself.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Frances feels somewhat reassured by Niles's words. Then says, a bit hesitantly

"What the other girls said is true, Father. I envy them, I think, because... it seems they are getting some privilege which is forbidden to everyone else."

Then, as Niles frowns looking at the scribblings, she asks, with a sudden realization
"Father, do you think there is something dangerous going on?"
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

As Frances admits to envy of the members of this secrect society, Niles nods sympathetically.

He answers,"Such feelings are natural when an accident of birth denies you what others recieve," It seems for a moment that the deacon's words take on a trace of bitterness. After a moment, he continues with more of his usual calm, "...seemingly without effort. But we are each granted our own blessings and trials. In this case in particular, there is reason to fear that these students may pay a harsh price for whatever they've gained."
Ail wrote:Then, as Niles frowns looking at the scribblings, she asks, with a sudden realization
"Father, do you think there is something dangerous going on?"
At this question from Frances, Niles lowers his voice slightly to reply, "A death has just taken place that no one can explain: something dangerous is taking place to be sure. We can pray that no other students are at risk, but must act on fear that they are."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Frances seems to become determined with resolve.

"Very well, Father. If you are going to investigate it, then I want to be part of the team. Let me help you."
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

"Of course," the assistant chaplain replies, a bit suprised. He had already assumed Frances would continue her investigations with or without approval.

"But please don't observe the group alone," he cautions. "Is there a friend who may accompany you - someone who won't attract notice when the two of you are seen together?"
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Christine pauses to consider it as she straightens her her glasses a bit. Turning to the woman again she smiles somewhat and nods with some confidence.

"I would appreciate a reading very much Elder. It should certainly help as I try to work out what is going on."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

The woman nods somberly.

"Come with me, both of you."

She leads them to her wagon, silently through the still and misty camp. The space inside is divided in two areas by curtains hanging from the ceiling. One of them, a space lined out with several pillows of many brilliant colours, serves as the bed. In the other, the different disposition creates a space where the woman can sit and meditate. She takes a deck of cards from under some pillow, sits crossed legged and clears a space in front of her, atop a blanket of deep night blue decorated with stars and moons. Christine and Oliver find a place to sit opposite the gypsy.

"This is not a personal reading", she says, "and so I will not ask you to choose the cards. It is about the university itself, and I will let the energies around that place and these woods come to me and guide my hand".

She closes the eyes, mumbles something imperceptibly, Christine even thinks it is in a different language, but in murmur only barely audible.

Then she looks again, but this time at a distant point between Oliver and Christine.

"I am going to draw 6 cards. The top line will tell us about the history of this place: the distant past, the intermediate past and the close past... or the present, if you wish to call it so.

Below these, the next 2 cards will show what is hidden and what can bring light. Finally, below these, the last card will show who is the driver behind all that is happening."

Her wizened cracked hands move graciously, scrambling the deck. It feels as if she did not will her hands to move, that her mind travelled far away while the cards moved and were joined together until the deck reformed into a neat and coherent pile. Six cards were drawn, and slowly laid out on the table, face up:

"Herein is our past. We start with the Seven of Batons, long ago. I see someone here with a strong force of personality, someone who will go to battle for their ideals. This was a force for change, but also for conflict. But this could also simply be opposition to others or refusal."

"The tower is a card of destruction, of chaos, of sudden release of uncontrollable forces. That conflict that was the seed grew large and led to the end of many things. I see, I see... I remember the tales, so old now, yes... there was ruin in these woods. There was life before, there, and now there's not."

"But the Moon reigns today. The Moon..."

She closes her eyes for a short moment, consulting her feelings and you can see her hand shake for a few seconds as if tired .

"This card speaks of deception, of illusion, and strangeness. It tells you to open your imagination and believe the impossible, the strange, but be careful. There is a hidden danger that is very real, though it may defy your vision of the world. But the main meaning is often one of fear and desperation. One possible meaning of the Seven of Batons as well is a dark child, and these two cards together tell me of evil things."

"Let's see the second line. What is hidden", she says as she reveals

"The Two of Swords. Blocking energies. Denial. Someone refuses to see what is. It might be there is some force acting to prevent investigation, to keep things going as normal. But this is not out of ignorance! This is active refusal to acknowledge what is going on, and so could be an ally of whatever is happening."

Then she opens the fifth card

"The Hierophant. A powerful card, another of the Major Arcana. This card represents what forces could help uncover all that is hidden at present. And it is a card of light, the light of knowledge, of group and or religion. All of these might help you, figuratively or not. But look for knowledge, look for friends and look for spiritual strength. Research the history to uncover the past."

Finally she points to the last card.

"This is the key. This represents the force at the centre of all that is happening. It could be a person, it could be an event, even a general feeling. Let's see:"

"The High Priestess! This card can mean many things: passivity, intuition, a denial of reason. But in this position, I think it means someone. I wonder..."

She takes an extra seventh card.

"This is for clarification. It may help focus on the meaning of this reading."

She places it on top of the layout, above the first line of three. It shows

"The Emperor, upside down!"

Her eyes move as if she had understood. Quickly, she picked three cards from the layout and brought them aside the Emperor: the Seven of Batons, the Moon and the High Priestess.

Looking deeply at Oliver and Christine, with a voice coming deep from the ages, she continued

"This is a powerful reading. Five Major Arcana in seven cards is very unusual, and indicates that there are very strong energies around. The Emperor stands for masculinity, authority and rules. But it is reversed. It is being challenged, by the very symbol of feminity, the High Priestess. But this is not the motherly Feminine. This is the Feminine on her intuitive side, in her opposition to structure and authority, in her full sexual nature. In that she is reinforced by the power of the Moon, and shows us that the source of it is in the past. The distant past! Because the Seven of Batons was a dark child asserting its position, and now I believe that whatever is happening began then, with a strong Woman opposing the rules of the world around her. How that turned out... I don't know, and how that is affecting you today, is what you'll have to find out."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Frances looks at Niles, thinks for a while

"I may know someone, I promise you I won't go alone. Thank you Father."

Frances leaves, and for a while he sits pondering her words. Then, he hears a knock at his door.
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

Niles walks over to the door and opens it gently.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Outside, Niles can see a boy, a student. He looks frightened and agitated, and as soon as Niles opens the door, tries to force his way in, blurting out

"Father, father, will you hear me in confession? It has to be in confession!"

He looks older than Christine or Frances. He's probably an undergraduate already.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Christine after following the woman takes on the proper tone of respect for what has been afforded her in this moment. Seldom are the times when such readings are freely given and even when they are so they are to be honored.

As the reading goes by however the implications of who or what is going on seems to connect some with what may be going on. Creatures roaming on the nights of the full moon, a woman of authority or at least willful resolve and past evil continuing to exist through some cult or other aspect. All of these things set her mind to work trying to figure out what it could all mean when compared to what they already know.

The way this reading turned out she is glad it was not a personal reading of the cards for sure. Besides she would determine what happened to her and would rather save such a reading for when she left this dark business behind her.

"Thank you for this... I think it helps a lot Elder. I at least know where to look a bit more and I have some new ideas at least for what it could mean."

Turning to Oliver, she looks to him with a question look in her eyes. "Did you think of after hearing the reading Oliver?"
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Still sat on the cushions, Oliver nods and thanks the Elder.

"It has given me a few ideas, but they go against what I believe. I don't know, Christine, do you have anyone in mind? I think this points to one person, but I don't want to make false accusations. What do you think?"
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

Ail wrote:Outside, Niles can see a boy, a student. He looks frightened and agitated, and as soon as Niles opens the door, tries to force his way in,
Niles isn't holding the door very tightly, and as the other young man attempts to force his way in, it slips out of the assistant chaplain's hands and bumps into the wall.

As the young man demands a confession, Niles maintains a calm demeanor and says in a soothing tone a voice: "I can listen to whatever is troubling ye, and can help ye to act on ye're contrition. Will that be enough? If ye need absolution, ye must confess to Father Richard.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"You don't understand, father, it has to be in confession. She hears me, I know she does!!! But in a confession... that would be a secret, I bet even from her! Can you protect me father? Can you shield my thoughts?"

He is agitated, restless, and his uniform rather undone.

Spot check, DC = 13
VIEW CONTENT:
With all his movements, the boy can not hide a medallion under his clothes. It is just like the one recovered from the murdered boy.
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

It takes Niles a moment to decypher this unknown students' demands. If what he needs is simply to take someone into confidence, then it should be possible to answer his request.

But is he implying that someone is reading his thoughts? Maybe this is more a problem for the college's medical staff. Or is it actually possible? Strange things have certainly been occurring of late, and as a child the young deacon had heard many peculiar tales. Niles searches his memory for any tales of mind-readers, and what might be done to counter their inquiries.

Still attempting to reassure the other student, Niles leads him to take a seat, before gently closing the door again.

"Tell me what's the story, and I'll do all I can to help. But first let us be properly introduced. Ya must know that I'm the assistant chaplain, Fiachra Niles. What would yer name be?"