HLoM: The Firebird, Chapter 2

Online roleplaying at the Café
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: HLoM: The Firebird, Chapter 2

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Nathan of the FoS wrote:It's not Tristen's fault. Raise him up well. Tell him...his mother loved him."
Vasili stiffens at the name. He hopes they never have to deliver that message.
Thrusting the bundle in her arms at all three of you, more or less equally, she says, "Take him. May the gods bless you and him."
Vasili moves forward to accept the bundle without question. Somehow he knew this place has some small life for him defend against the darkness. Leila likewise moves up close, prepared to interpose herself between yet another helpless creature and the world that would not understand him.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

"You did nothing wrong," Richard repeated with a sudden fervor, tears falling from his eyes and being lost in the rain. "I-I-I will tell-- I-I will tell them. I-I-I will tell him. Whatever may happen, I-I-I will tell him. I-I wish you did not need me to-to say those words."

Richard let Vasili take the child, as the much younger man had moved faster to accept it. "I-I-I wish... I-I wish you both happiness."
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

ImageImageImage

"Thank you," Flora says to Vasili, her eyes searching his face. "Belenus and Dagda and all good gods reward you for your kindness." To Richard, she says, "Keep him safe. That is all the happiness I…"

She shifts suddenly, one arm jerking behind her as if seized by some unseen force. For a moment she struggles, then her face goes eerily calm. Her other arm is wrenched behind her, and she lurches to the foot of the tree, half-walking, half-carried by unseen hands. She is pushed to her knees, and then, quite suddenly, rises, up and up, until she is suspended in mid-air, her feet almost at the level of your heads.

She thrashes for a few long moments and then falls still, her eyes rolled back in their sockets and her neck horribly bruised. For perhaps a minute longer you are faced with her apparition, and then she disappears.

The bundle in Vasili's arms, when he unwraps it, is only a breath of fog which dissipates almost immediately. A moment later the swaddling disappears as well, leaving his hands empty.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Isolt look a little nonplussed at Lena's line of questions, but marshals her attention. "My husband is an orphan, descended from a collateral line of the ApBlancs who were once the lords of Forfar; he grew up far from here but made his fortune as a warrior on our southern border and returned to his ancestral homeland to build up the ApBlanc name again. He is a little younger than I am--though not so young as you would think to look at him. My daughter did tell me once of a dream she had of a goddess who gave her a shield…I don't..."

Isolt's tale is interrupted as the door is thrown open. The Laird ApBlanc stands in the doorway glowering. "I must speak to my wife. Leave us at once," he grates.

"The door, you say?" Renhalt says, interested. "Come down here a moment, sis, and get ready for something exciting to happen. Can you smell something beyond the door, Ushka? The girl? Something else?"
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

"If only wishing made things so," Richard said quietly, and paused for a moment to openly weep.
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
Nerit
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nerit »

Nuray stood stunned at the scene. Then, finally, she was able to break her gaze and see Richard. An empathetic man, to be sure. "Richard," she said quietly. "They are gone, whether we mourn them or not."
Petroselinum, salvia, ros marinus, et thymus.
Nuray Solak
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Richard wiped away at his eyes, turning his head away from the Rashemani slightly. "I-I-I beg you forgive a-a sentimental fool, donna," he said, his voice cloudy. "She reminds me too much of-of my own mother - knowing there are-are miracles in this world, and knowing that none were... none were ever meant for her."

He rubbed the inside of his cloak against face, then managed a smile for his two companions. "Thank-thank Ezra you are both well. I-I-I beg your forgiveness for leaving at-at such a foul time. I-I-I proved a wretched guardian, I-I-I am sorry, Leila. But where-where are the others? I-I-I suppose I must not have been gone so long as it-it felt. We ought to find them."
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Whether because of the enchantment or bad timing he cannot tell, but Vasili does not get to look at the bundle before everything goes terribly wrong. Just as he was planning to pull back the wrappings, the child's mother was jerked from her feet and lynched by unseen hands. Vasili backs away, holds the bundle tight and sways a little, like he learned to do when holding his sisters. His father said he would drop them, but his mother always found a time to let him hold them. For an instant he is a big brother again, holding that warm, wriggling thing to him, feeling the breath on his cheek. He would not let her fall.
The bundle in Vasili's arms, when he unwraps it, is only a breath of fog which dissipates almost immediately. A moment later the swaddling disappears as well, leaving his hands empty.
Vasili screams something unintelligible, shrill and primal like the shriek of an wild beast. He begins gulping air into his lungs like a drowning man, and falls to the ground to gather up the scraps of swaddling clothes before they are gone forever.

"She-he--" he stammers. "No, no no! He was warm! I felt him, he was warm!"
Isabella wrote:"If only wishing made things so," Richard said quietly, and paused for a moment to openly weep.
Vasili stares at the Mordentishman, choking on his own gasps. "It-it does, at least for some of us! What capricious justice is this, that reaches into the abyss to retrieve a child's beloved nurse--a playmate!--but will not reopen those gates for the mother herself!?"

Still on his knees, Vasili turns his face upward and screams at the sky. "WHY US? Why not these two, torn apart by thoughtless, wicked men? The child needed her! He would have been a great man with her by her side!"

Leila slinks up beside her master, unsure what to make of what she's hearing. Did he still consider her a blessing, after all that had happened? Was he truly a better man, because as a little boy he had wished her out of the abyss?

Vasili is beyond speech, and at the slight touch of Leila's tail he throws both arms around her and buries his screams and sobs in her fur. Forgoing all resistance, Leila is momentarily boneless, a child's stuffed toy for him to drag around, subject to his thoughtless neglect. Her face, however, is momentarily--blissfully--serene.
Isabella wrote:"Thank-thank Ezra you are both well. I-I-I beg your forgiveness for leaving at-at such a foul time. I-I-I proved a wretched guardian, I-I-I am sorry, Leila. But where-where are the others? I-I-I suppose I must not have been gone so long as it-it felt. We ought to find them."
Regaining her composure first, Leila slips around Vasili to face the others, giving her master a little more time to restore himself. She demures at Richard's apology--after all, no one could be everything to Vasili that she was--and informs the group of what Vasili has learned from talking to Tara.
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

DeepShadow of FoS wrote:Still on his knees, Vasili turns his face upward and screams at the sky. "WHY US? Why not these two, torn apart by thoughtless, wicked men? The child needed her! He would have been a great man with her by her side!"
"Why?" Richard reached out, but did not touch Vasili's shoulder, not wanting to intrude between that boy and his childhood friend. "Oh, Vasili. Do not ask why. You cannot feel... you cannot feel your second chance came instead of another's. That way lies madness. You will never feel worthy, in the face of another's need. You will always feel that someone-someone else deserved it more, deserved better, but that isn't-that isn't how it works. We all-we all... everyone deserves better. We all deserved better."

"We cannot count on miracles," he said softly, pulling himself to his full height. "That is why we-why we cherish them, when they come to us, and work to do good ourselves. We cannot resent an-an act of kindness for the fact it could not save everyone, or we-we will lose our joy for everything that we have. You deserved comfort in your childhood, comfort for the-the loss you suffered. You do not owe the world, for the fact that-that you received it, when others did not. Nor can we curse what justice there is in this world, when it-when it fights against so much darkness."

"Ta-Tara... the-the dommra. Remember what she said. We cannot- we cannot make it right, but perhaps we can give them peace."
DeepShadow of FoS wrote:Regaining her composure first, Leila slips around Vasili to face the others, giving her master a little more time to restore himself. She demures at Richard's apology--after all, no one could be everything to Vasili that she was--and informs the group of what Vasili has learned from talking to Tara.
The rain had left Richard pallid, but at this he went white as a sheet. "No, no, no..." he murmured, squeezing his eyes shut. "They'll... they'll-they'll... they'll kill..."

"We must-we must... we must get them back!" he said, after a moment. "My... my sword. Where is-where-where is my sword...?"
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

http://mothblog.djinnborn.com/wp-conten ... button.jpg

Mute, Vasili turns his head to Richard as the older man explains the mystery of miracles. As the lesson ends, Vasili draws his mouth shut tight and nods, but at the mention of Tara's words, he shakes again. Leila was not his only miracle...
"We must-we must... we must get them back!" he said, after a moment. "My... my sword. Where is-where-where is my sword...?"
"It's in the tomb," Leila replies, continuing to speak for Vasili as he collects himself. Her voice drops lower, almost to a whisper. "But if we continue with the original plan--Vasili's plan--then we may be able to avoid bloodshed. Tara has been sticking to the story, and it has served her well. If you go to free her, sword drawn and ready for combat, then you create two sides, and ours will be outnumbered. If you play along that we are all still on the same side, that this is all a misunderstanding, then she may yet be delivered to us in good health by our 'allies.'"

Leila turns to regard the corpses of the wolves. "And if not, then it comes at last to force of arms, but we may have earned ourselves more suitable positioning for such combat."

Vasili is nodding again, and Leila's ears prick up at some unspoken command.

"My master commands me to set our foes to rest. The ghosts have wrought terrible mischief with us tonight, have they not?"

She gives Richard a sly smile, dips her head at Nuray, and skips off to decapitate her share of the dead wolves.

If any of them get up, of course, Leila sounds the alarm and backs off to wait for reinforcements. Baring that, she's making a coup de grace on each corpse by standing on the chest and biting the head off like a mouse. Oh, and she's starting with the ones furthest from the tomb, so as to give Richard as much opportunity as possible to share the carnage, but she'll do his half if she must. :)

Unless Richard convinces him otherwise, Vasili is going ahead with the rest of the plan, waiting for the first few decapitations before raising the alarm, so as to be sure the wolves are not returning. He'll scream Colin's name out loud and long, then call for whoever can come help, and the performance begins: they were led down here by ghosts and otherworldly creatures for some sort of struggle for Isolde's tomb.
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

DeepShadow of FoS wrote:"If you go to free her, sword drawn and ready for combat, then you create two sides, and ours will be outnumbered. If you play along that we are all still on the same side, that this is all a misunderstanding, then she may yet be delivered to us in good health by our 'allies.'"
"I-I-I don't intend to storm the place and-and try to kill them all, Leila," Richard said, flexing his hand idly. "But if I-if I-I were them, I would take us to prison whether they believed us or-or not. I-I'd prefer to have my sword for when that happens. Indeed, if they've already caught and-and questioned her, I-I find it passing strange there aren't guards here to-to look for us. Perhaps they take the danger of-of this courtyard far more seriously than we do."

"We might be able to-to use that," he mused, before going to take his sword out of the tomb, and join Leila in her grisly work. If the wolves rose to attack them again, they would do so without jaws to bite.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Isolt's tale is interrupted as the door is thrown open. The Laird ApBlanc stands in the doorway glowering. "I must speak to my wife. Leave us at once," he grates.
"Of course, Milord." Lena murmured, stepping carefully past the furious-looking Laird to make her exit. She had a sinking suspicion she knew what was going on here. The Laird had read the note he'd pickpocketed from Lena, and now he was here to seek answers from his wife. He'd been so desperate to get away before sunfall, but this... this forced him to act even despite whatever self-imposed barrier time presented.

This was liable to get very, very ugly for Isolt. So while Lena went, she went only so far as to round the corner. He hadn't, after all, said how far to go. The Barovian diplomat chewed her lip. Most likely, all that would happen now would be a good deal of shouting. But if shouting turned to screaming, Lena was in a position to come back and try and hex the Laird ApBlanc into acquiescence -- at least long enough to make for a quick get-away. And Lena, whatever else, had very good reflexes and a number of invisibility spells at hand. Which was good, as she didn't fancy trying to fight an actual war hero.

Quick question, anyone but Lena present? I'm sorry, I'm a bit lost as to who's where now. I think Marcel and Avram? Also, Perception +10 to try and eavesdrop. I'm not expecting much, but at minimum if Craig starts stabbing I want to hear it.

[dice]0[/dice]

Renhalt wrote:"The door, you say?" Renhalt says, interested. "Come down here a moment, sis, and get ready for something exciting to happen. Can you smell something beyond the door, Ushka? The girl? Something else?"
Finally someone was paying attention to the fox's important information. Ushka gave a very quite yip at finally being addressed. She shook her head sharply at the 'girl', but nodded at something else, rather eerily human gestures when coming from a fox. She considered how to convey the concept of something lupine and rotting, and she pointed a paw at the door, then moved her face into that of a snarl, then put a paw over her nose to try and cover it. Hopefully Renhalt would get at least some glimmer of meaning from that.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

ImageImageImage

"Something aggressive, something that smells bad," Renhalt says, interpreting Ushka's dumb show. "Undead? Is there more than one? Does it smell human...no? Something else? An animal? OH. A wolf?"

"I can destroy the door," Dundee mutters, his fingers tightening on his club. "Warp it out of true."

"Yes...let's ready the welcome wagon," Renhalt says, half-smiling. "Everyone back up. I'll prepare a fire sphere; when it appears, Dundee, warp the door and I'll let the fire sphere through. Ready?"

ImageImageImage

The voices from behind the door are inaudible at first, but soon the Laird is shouting. The door is thick, but Lena can make out several accusations of betrayal.

There is a sudden silence, and then a scream of agony--not from the Lady Isolt, but from her husband. It goes on and on as if he had no need to breath, and then the lady is screaming as well.

Glancing at Lena and Avram, Marcel rushes for the door.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

ImageImageImage

Dismantling the wolves is only a minute's work for Leila and Richard together. The rain is, if anything, growing stronger; Tara remains silent, or is speaking too loudly for the whisper magic to be effective. It is only a matter of time, given your past experience, before another ghost makes an appearance if you loiter here, meaning that a retreat somewhere...anywhere...seems to be the next order of business.
Nerit
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nerit »

The rain was starting to soak through the gaps in Nuray's leather jerkin, despite her many cloth layers. That at least, seemed to be real enough -- but she wasn't sure of anything anymore.

"Quickly," Nuray said a little hoarsely, her bow up and ready for anything else that might attack. "Inside, shall we? Rescue the dommra?" 'Rescue' was questionable, of course.
Petroselinum, salvia, ros marinus, et thymus.
Nuray Solak