RPGA Second Chance adventure? Anyone have more information?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

RPGA Second Chance adventure? Anyone have more information?

Post by Resonant Curse »

I know that the RPGA and WOTC don't like to realease old RPGA modules, but does anyone know any additional information about this adventure or know somewhere to find even a digital copy to read? I know that Die Vecna Die! has a very mixed reception with the Ravenloft community, but my gaming group and I have always enjoyed trying to make it through (I've tried running it multiple times and am actually going to be playing in it starting this weekend probably). Aside from that, I have and enjoyed going through Vecna Reborn and Vecna Lives. I'd like to at least have read through this adventure to see what else they put in the Burning Peaks cluster. Aside from the Adventurer's Guild website having a picture of the cover, I'm not finding information anywhere.

From the Fraternity's list of RPGA Ravenloft adventures:

Second Chance by Steve Miller [greyhawk/ravenloft crossover] (1998)
It takes place in Greyhawk. Adventuring party reunites to help an ex-member who having trouble with her new husband. They found that the husband is trying to retrieve the Hand of Vecna, and hopefully the party can stop him so that he will come to his senses. Eventually they make their way to ruins that holds the artofact and during the fight, the ex-member betrays the group since they were just pawns to help her retrieve the Hand of Vecna herself. The Betrayal and deaths draw the crypt into Ravenloft, where the ex-member is now darklord of a pocket domain within the Burning peaks. They can choose to kill her or just walk away leaving her trapped. This adventure could be a prelude leading into Vecna Reborn.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: RPGA Second Chance adventure? Anyone have more informat

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I have this module. Unfortunately, it's not legally available online anywhere, as you've noticed.

Also unfortunately, if you manage to find it, you'll probably be disappointed. While it's a fine little adventure, it doesn't give much info for the Burning Peaks. That blurb pretty much covers most of the gist of things.

The "ex-member" of the party is named Leah, and she's an Illusionist. The loss of her hand while adventuring sent her over the edge. She can no longer cast spells due to the missing hand. Her husband is named Davin, and is being used by her to take the blame in her search for the Hand of Vecna. She's already taken out her eye to try to use what she thought was the Eye of Vecna, but it wasn't. They live in Illfaern Manor, on Oerth. She has an accomplice named Nell, a former chambermaid who's now an illusionist too. Leah betrays Nell at the end when they seek out a ruined crypt where the "Hand" is.

It turns out to be a different magical grafting hand, not the Hand of Vecna. Leah puts it on and uses Nell's blood to activate it. (regaining her spellcasting ability). Then she becomes a darklord with the crypt as her domain. It's a rather sad and pathetic domain as domains go. Just one room upstairs and four below.

That's about all there is. Anything else you'd like to know?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

Thank you for the summary, that at least fills in a few of the holes (the Hand and the eye being fakes/incorrectly identified means it still makes sense for the two to have been in Tovag Baragu). I'll see if I come up with anything else, but here are a couple of small questions:

I'm assuming not since you didn't mention it, but is there anything written about reactions from Kaz or Vecna to the new domain and lord being added to their cluster? Is Leah in any way actually connected to the cult of Vecna, or is she just hunting for the artifacts on her own?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Resonant Curse wrote:I'm assuming not since you didn't mention it, but is there anything written about reactions from Kaz or Vecna to the new domain and lord being added to their cluster?
None at all. Considering how pitiful of a domain it is, they probably don't much care, if they even notice. She can only walk a few steps from the crypt, so she's not a threat really to anyone except fools who get too close.
Is Leah in any way actually connected to the cult of Vecna, or is she just hunting for the artifacts on her own?
Not connected at all, she's just dug up research on the Hand and Eye on her own.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

I apologize for taking up your time, but I had a couple of other questions. I'm assuming Leah is human, but what level is she, and does it ever say what the false Hand of Vecna does, aside from allow her to regain her spellcasting abilities (presumably because she has a hand, not a power of the item itself)? She is still missing her eye correct, no second false item that she's been wandering around with or anything? (I wouldn't put it past them considering Iuz got to be the dupe twice in Vecna's plans) Are there any major character traits/personality traits to her? Would you be able to post her six attributes? This might be a fun place for me to work into the next time I run Die Vecna Die or Vecna Reborn. I'd worked up a way to use both of them with a party before and the plan was derailed partway through, but if I can get the schedules aligned to get that going again, I would certainly have fun trying to tie it in.

Thank you again for taking the time to look up and post the answers for me.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

No problem at all. Yes, she's a human Illusionist, level 7. INT18, other stats unexceptional. The false hand is a mechanical/magical construct that can replace a severed hand. It gives it's bearer what we'd call Fast Healing 1 in 3e terms. If drenched in blood daily, a wizard bearing the hand never loses memorized spells when he casts them, only when he chooses to swap them out for new ones. Still missing the eye, wears a patch. I don't see much about the false eye, just that it wasn't what she thought it was. I guess she didn't keep it. As for personality, not much beyond crazy and obsessed. She acts weak, afraid, and controlled by her husband, but that's just to throw the blame on him.

Hope this helps... good luck!