Carrion Crown

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Tenebris
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: Carrion Crown

Post by Tenebris »

DasSoviet wrote:The folks over at Paizo tend to favour Lovecraftian horror over Gothic
Lovecraft's cosmic non-supernatural horror, while pushing the limits of the Gothic genre, is in fact an evolution of the genre while simultaneously creating a new singular form of horror fiction. In that sense Lovecraftian horror is a Gothic subgenre rather than a clear departure.

In any event, having read the Carrion Crown players guide, and other supplements for the adventure path, it is apparent that they intend to explore the full gamut of gothic horrror within this adventure path. Both Lovecraftian and Hammeresque traditional Gothic horror are referenced and alluded to. According to my email from Paizo, the first adventure path is to be mailed out in about a week and I can't wait to see what they have in store for us.

The promise and premise of Ustalav played no small role in our group's decision to switch over to Pathfinder. Now I find myself wondering whether I want to incorporate Ustalav as a Ravenloft setting or run it as a separate setting entirely? What are other DM's on this forum planning? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Rafael wrote:I'm pondering to get the old 80s box, and do a game based on that,
but it's so darn expensive.

The new TW books have a kind of forwarded timeline, which in my opinion is somewhat of a mistake,
because it makes the cross-referencing very complicated.

I've found the low-paced d20 classes very useful, though,
as well as the gaz on the world. - TW looks like a good place to run the DCC line. :)
If you have all the new TW stuff, you may want to look at the 'Rankan era' sections. That covers the original series, Raf. The Green Ronin stuff is set up to run a campaign at any point along the timeline.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

If anyone is planning to adapt Carrion Crown to Ravenloft and run it as a pbp, or just to play it as a pbp, please let me know. Pathfinder gothic horror roleplaying? I'm there! ^^
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I have it in hand! (as a PDF :) )

From the intro:

As soon as we started talking
about Carrion Crown, a lot of people started likening it
to the stories of other roleplaying games and campaign
settings with a tradition of frightening storytelling—and
rightly so. In fact, several of these worlds and modules
are the reason this campaign exists, not just because of
the wide popularity of such games, but also because of
our fond memories of such frightful adventures.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

The adventure and the background story is quite spooky.

I think it could easily be retrofited within Darkon.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
brass
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by brass »

I love that the intro starts with "Welcome to your Doom!".
Joël of the FoS

I also like the blurbs in the inside covers :)
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Joël of the FoS wrote:The adventure and the background story is quite spooky.

Would you? I'd love to play in a Pathfinder pbp in Ravenloft.
Joël of the FoS

Rock wrote:
Joël of the FoS wrote:The adventure and the background story is quite spooky.

Would you? I'd love to play in a Pathfinder pbp in Ravenloft.
While I appreciate the thing, I'm not a pbp person. The few times I've been in, I tend to make them crash and stop, which isn't a good thing :(

My comment was meant for tabletop D&D, and surely I was adding this adventure to the mix, in my yesterday preparation of next Sunday's game:

While in Martira Bay, they will meet Kendra Lorrimor and her father, Petros Lorrimor, from the town of Harrowstone... An retired archeologist, Petros is a friend of Van Richten, another friend of the PCs.

But they will save Kendra from something horrible (yet to be defined), which will be the reason Petros puts them on his will.

Joël
brass
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by brass »

Even better news lads and lassies. Check out Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Rule of Fear.

http://paizo.com/store/games/roleplayin ... 48btpy8j5u
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

brass wrote:Even better news lads and lassies. Check out Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Rule of Fear.

THAT is excellent news! I'd be very excited to add Ustalav in whole to my personal Demiplane of Dread. I wonder if anyone had come up with a creation hook that would explain its existence, in whole or in part, in Ravenloft. Either way, with what has been written about Carrion Crown and now this, I am a firm believer that there are kindred spirits and ex-RL players writing over at Paizo, and that makes me happy.
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
brass
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by brass »

Strahdsbuddy wrote:
brass wrote:Even better news lads and lassies. Check out Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Rule of Fear.

THAT is excellent news! I'd be very excited to add Ustalav in whole to my personal Demiplane of Dread. I wonder if anyone had come up with a creation hook that would explain its existence, in whole or in part, in Ravenloft. Either way, with what has been written about Carrion Crown and now this, I am a firm believer that there are kindred spirits and ex-RL players writing over at Paizo, and that makes me happy.
Well there was talk on another thread about a second core. :)
Joël of the FoS

Strahdsbuddy wrote:

(...) Either way, with what has been written about Carrion Crown and now this, I am a firm believer that there are kindred spirits and ex-RL players writing over at Paizo, and that makes me happy.
Rule of Fear is already in my ordered stuff.

I've discussed this once with Erik Mona, and I know there are RL fans in the Paizo staff! I suspect F. Wesley Schneider to be one of them.

Joël
Dimitri Mazieres
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dimitri Mazieres »

Joël of the FoS wrote:I've discussed this once with Erik Mona, and I know there are RL fans in the Paizo staff! I suspect F. Wesley Schneider to be one of them.

Joël
IIRC, F. Wesley Schneider wrote at least one or two articles for the Book of S_ series.
[i]"Many point out that this battle against the darkness is an impossible one, and they may well be right. Impossible or not, however, the battle for righteousness is one that only a few heroes are brave enough to undertake"[/i]
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Dimitri Mazieres wrote:IIRC, F. Wesley Schneider wrote at least one or two articles for the Book of S_ series.
If he's the same guy as "Wes Schneider" then yes, he wrote 6, in various books.

http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Netbook
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."