Pathfinder : Mistfinder Pdf

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Don Fernando
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: Pathfinder : Mistfinder Pdf

Post by Don Fernando »

It is ironic I think. I am also a firm supporter of buying PDFs instead of the real thing, but after some time I realized that it was actually worse. Almost everytime I needed to read the document I had to print it out due to the fatigue my eyes endured after some time of PC reading. So I'm leaning over the real thing again... so i guess goodbye rain forest... :cry:
"6 out of 10 Rakshasas eat Whiskas"
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

As mentioned elsewhere (GM Binder thread I think), I like having the core books in dead tree format for exactly the reasons Don Fernando stated but there is just no reason to have 50 supplements stacked to the ceiling when a thumb drive does that job just fine. It is actually sort of nice to know that my campaign fits in my pocket, like we've reached some level of Star Trek technology!

I am very appreciative that Paizo offers books in both forms. They really smack of a company that is run the way it ought to be. Now if they could just pry that Ravenloft license from Wizards....
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
brass
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by brass »

Strahdsbuddy wrote:As mentioned elsewhere (GM Binder thread I think), I like having the core books in dead tree format for exactly the reasons Don Fernando stated but there is just no reason to have 50 supplements stacked to the ceiling when a thumb drive does that job just fine. It is actually sort of nice to know that my campaign fits in my pocket, like we've reached some level of Star Trek technology!

I am very appreciative that Paizo offers books in both forms. They really smack of a company that is run the way it ought to be. Now if they could just pry that Ravenloft license from Wizards....
I wouldn't say paizo will be going anywhere near anyone elses existing IPs for quite a while. They have tons of meat on their current campaign setting (which does have the next adventure path set in Ustlav, which has quite a ravenloft feel).
Tenebris
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Tenebris »

brass wrote:
Strahdsbuddy wrote:As mentioned elsewhere (GM Binder thread I think), I like having the core books in dead tree format for exactly the reasons Don Fernando stated but there is just no reason to have 50 supplements stacked to the ceiling when a thumb drive does that job just fine. It is actually sort of nice to know that my campaign fits in my pocket, like we've reached some level of Star Trek technology!

I wouldn't say paizo will be going anywhere near anyone elses existing IPs for quite a while. They have tons of meat on their current campaign setting (which does have the next adventure path set in Ustlav, which has quite a ravenloft feel).
Yes I'm quite excited about Ustlav, Haunting of Harrowstone can't get here soon enough.
Tenebris
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Tenebris »

On a somewhat unrelated note, did anyone else upon reading over the abilities of the Master Chymist PrC immediately think of Frantisek Markhov? :lol:
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

It's more of a Jekyll/Hyde class imo, so my first Ravenloft association would be Tristen Hiregaard/Malken.
Tenebris
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Tenebris »

The Giamarga wrote:It's more of a Jekyll/Hyde class imo, so my first Ravenloft association would be Tristen Hiregaard/Malken.
Good point, the mutagen abilities just made sense for Markhov to my way of thinking. I tend to design unique classes around the abilities of respective darklords because 0 level humans and/or NPC classes are just too generic for such unique NPCs. For the most part I design these myself but occassionally if a variant class or PrC works I implement that instead. Monte Cook's Book of Vile Darkness, by the way, is a wonderful resource for such npc customization if you haven't checked it out.
Tenebris
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Tenebris »

On another note, I'm curious as to which pathfinder table you guys use for exp and character creation points? I use the "slow" exp table and the low fantasy 10 creation points, but I was curious as to what others are using. For our upcoming campaign, which will be very difficult even by the standards of the setting I was thinking of allowing the standard 15 creation points, but I'm wondering if I'm just getting soft with age?
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

I found 3.5 quite flexible in building the different Ravenloft NPCs if you include just enough sources (Aside from the Ravenloft d20 books, core & UA, the BoVD can certainly be useful as can the Complete series, I even used the d20 Book of Erotic Fantasy once).

Care to post some of your builds? Perhaps it's time to do a Pathfinder version of the good old Ravenloft NPCs 3E stats thread...

As for your other question slow advancement sound fine to me,though I do like my starting characters to be a bit more heroic (though not (over-)optimized please).
Tenebris
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Tenebris »

I'll post some of my builds when I get home from the office and get a chance to organize the material this weekend. On another note heroic is precisely why I'm considering allowing standard 15 point creation this time. Especially given that I plan to put this group through the ringer. :twisted:
brass
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by brass »

Tenebris wrote:On another note, I'm curious as to which pathfinder table you guys use for exp and character creation points? I use the "slow" exp table and the low fantasy 10 creation points, but I was curious as to what others are using. For our upcoming campaign, which will be very difficult even by the standards of the setting I was thinking of allowing the standard 15 creation points, but I'm wondering if I'm just getting soft with age?
Since xp cost now no longer bother us, my home group level up at key points in the story. I was also quite miserly with 10 pnt builds.
Tenebris
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Tenebris »

The Giamarga wrote:I found 3.5 quite flexible in building the different Ravenloft NPCs if you include just enough sources (Aside from the Ravenloft d20 books, core & UA, the BoVD can certainly be useful as can the Complete series, I even used the d20 Book of Erotic Fantasy once).

Care to post some of your builds? Perhaps it's time to do a Pathfinder version of the good old Ravenloft NPCs 3E stats thread...

As for your other question slow advancement sound fine to me,though I do like my starting characters to be a bit more heroic (though not (over-)optimized please).
Forgive the delay in this I'm still compiling and editing all of my notes into a spreadsheet format and the family kept me rather busy over the weekend. Hopefully I can finish up this week!
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

No worries. Take your time...

But please open a new thread or post them to the Generic Ravenloft NPCs (Pathfinder) thread.