Pulled into the shadowfell?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Pulled into the shadowfell?

Post by NykylaiHellray »

So the demipane of dread seems to be almost becoming apart of the shadowfell to new lore.

Though I am wondering if maybe these retcons could be interpretted in other ways maybe.

As I could see the demipnae of dread both having a feywild and a shadowfell repersentation of iteself.

Maybe the shadow rift repersenting a merger of the two perhaps?

Though how could these retcons work?

My idea, is that maybe certain domains due to there darkness bleed through into other shadowfells. These pockets of mists being like tentacles. Scouting the seas of corruption for other lands to aquire.

A way for the dark powers to seek new worlds maybe?

What is others ideas on these ideas presented in the new manual of the planes?
[quote="Kelliack"] It is the lost coin of the gods when they first flipped to see who would get which portfolio.[/quote]
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Officially, there is no "demiplane of dread" in 4E, at least until such time as WotC opts to re-release Ravenloft. The "domains of dread" in the Shadowfell would appear to be a completely separate phenomenon from the Ravenloft campaign setting, as demonstrated by the fact that neither the word "Ravenloft", nor any of the setting's signature villains and rule-variants, nor the Dark Powers themselves, have been mentioned in the 4E Dragon articles or Manual of the Planes.

Rather, the mainstream 4E game system has co-opted a few concepts from the Ravenloft setting, much as 3E converted the planetouched from a Planescape idea to a core idea. That doesn't mean that the 4E Domains of Dread are the "new Ravenloft", any more than adding a dead magic zone to Greyhawk would make it the "new Forgotten Realms". It's questionable whether or not WotC will ever bring back Ravenloft as a cohesive, self-contained 4E setting ... and many fans question whether this would even be desirable, given the dungeon-crawl themes and action-flick-not-suspense-movie mentality they perceive in current 4E products.

That being said, several people had speculated on ways to reconcile the Ravenloft of 2E/3E with the 4E "Domains of Dread" articles, when we first heard about the latter. Searching the forum for words like "Shadowfell" ought to dig up some of those discussions.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
nothri
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by nothri »

Perhaps I'm just underthinking the problem here....but i don't see any difficulty here. Okay, so now we assume the Mists are manifestations of the Shadowfell rather than the ethereal. Done. badabing badaboom. 4th edition ravenloft.
I'm just a ghost in this house.
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

..or just ignore the silliness that is the Shadowfell. :wink:
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

nothri wrote:Perhaps I'm just underthinking the problem here....but i don't see any difficulty here. Okay, so now we assume the Mists are manifestations of the Shadowfell rather than the ethereal. Done. badabing badaboom. 4th edition ravenloft.
The problem, as I'm led to understand it, is that every world has a separate Shadowfell, and they are not connected to each other in any way. So a singe Ravenloft demiplane in "the shadowfell" doesn't work in the new cosmology as written so far. Drakov's domain would be in the Krynn shadowfell and Azalin's in the Oerth shadowfell, and never the twain shall meet.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

After thinking for a while, why not consider the Shadowfell to be the equivalent to 3rd edition Plane of Shadow?