The Red Wolf. Thoughts?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
IrvyneWolfe
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

The Red Wolf. Thoughts?

Post by IrvyneWolfe »

Hello everyone!

Way back when I was 18 I wrote the BoS article The Red Wolf. Now I'm in the planning phases of a new Ravenloft game and it looks like one of the Player Characters is going to want to become a Knight of the Shadows. I'm thrilled at the chance to get to use one of my favorite NPCs, but at the same time I want to know what other people have done with the character in the fifteen or so years since I created him. Anecdotes, concerns, re-imaginings and more. I want to hear your Red Wolf Stories!

Cheers,
Andrew Snow

P.S. Just so you don't think I'm pumping you all for ideas I'm more than willing to reciprocate, and provide some Pathfinder Stats for Irvyne. (Love Ryan Naylor's Pathfinder Ravenloft treatment. It came just in time for this game too.)
"...Well that just happened." - Nora, upon failing her first powers check.
Kadarin
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Re: The Red Wolf. Thoughts?

Post by Kadarin »

IrvyneWolfe wrote:Hello everyone!

Way back when I was 18 I wrote the BoS article The Red Wolf. Now I'm in the planning phases of a new Ravenloft game and it looks like one of the Player Characters is going to want to become a Knight of the Shadows. I'm thrilled at the chance to get to use one of my favorite NPCs, but at the same time I want to know what other people have done with the character in the fifteen or so years since I created him. Anecdotes, concerns, re-imaginings and more. I want to hear your Red Wolf Stories!

Cheers,
Andrew Snow

P.S. Just so you don't think I'm pumping you all for ideas I'm more than willing to reciprocate, and provide some Pathfinder Stats for Irvyne. (Love Ryan Naylor's Pathfinder Ravenloft treatment. It came just in time for this game too.)
ok, It would've been nice if you named the BoS (it's in the Book of Shadows, pp74ff).
I, personally, did not ever use the Red Wolf, but I do think there are more than enough ideas in your article.
Maybe you could add a real red wolf to the story - some strange creature either hunting or helping Irvyne - just an idea.
keep up da good woik,
k.
Morn came and went – and came, and brought no day
– George Gordon, Darkness
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

I actually played a PC (one of my favourites) based on him. Ciaran, an extremely bad tempered Knight of the Shadows. Not exactly the same, obviously, but a clear family resemblance.

Thanks for the kind words as well!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I used Red Wolf and the Pack as major NPCs when my campaign went to Nidala. Thanks so much for the inspiration! For the details, you can read the relevant section of my campaign journal at themistway.com They are introduced at the tail end of session 19, and feature in sessions 20 and 21.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
divinedragonslayer
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by divinedragonslayer »

While I haven't used him yet I'm going to in my campaign someday. Then again I need to get some writing done for that campaign. To be honest though I have less plans for him and much more plans for his daughter. I could almost see her as the one who banishes Ebonbane. Or at least cripples him.
Within the darkest depths the light shines the brightest
IrvyneWolfe
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by IrvyneWolfe »

Yeah I always had big plans for Kateri (I choose to believe everyone calls her Kate). She's one of maybe two paladins I've ever even hinted at in one of my Ravenloft games. I hadn't decided precisely what she's destined to do, but Ebonbane would naturally be a good fit given her Namesake.
IrvyneWolfe
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by IrvyneWolfe »

Irvyne Wolf
Male; Human; Ranger 7/ Knight of the Shadows 3
Alignment: Chaotic Good; Medium Humanoid (Human)
Init +2; Senses Normal; Perception +12

DEFENSE
AC
23, 12 touch, 21 flat-footed (+7 Armor, +2 Dex, +4 Shield)
hp 99 (10d10+30+10)
Fort +11, Ref +9, Will +7

OFFENSE
Speed
30 ft.
Melee Long Sword +14/+9 (1d8+4; 19-20/x2)
Special Attacks Favored Enemies (Humans +4, Undead +2), Challenge (1/day; -2 AC; +6 Dmg)

STATISTICS
Str 16 (+3), Dex 14 (+2), Con 16 (+3), Int 13 (+1), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 14 (+2)
Base Atk +10; CMB +13; CMD 25
Feats Deceitful, Devastating Strike, Endurance*, Favored Defense (Humans), Precise Strike*, Saving Shield*, Shield Focus*, Slayer's Knack (Humans), Toughness, Vital Strike
Skills Bluff 7 (+14), Craft [Weapons] 7 (+11), Disguise 7 (+14), Intimidate 7 (+12), Knowledge [Local] 7 (+11), Knowledge [Nature] 3 (+7), Perception 7 (+12), Sense Motive 7 (+12), Stealth 10 (+15), Survival 10 (+15/+18)
Languages Nidalan*, Balok
SQ Favored Enemy (Humans +4, Undead +2), Track (+3), Wild Empathy, Combat Style (Weapon and Shield; x2), Endurance, Favored Terrain (Forest +2), Hunter's Bond (Group), Woodland Stride; Challenge (1/day; -2 AC; +6 Dmg), Code of Conduct, Virtue, Protector of the Weak, Aura of Resolve, Shoulder Burden, Stealth
Spells: DC 12 + Level; Concentration +7
Commonly Prepared:
1st – Compel Hostility, Lead Blades
2nd – Bear's Endurance
Equipment: +1 Mithral Breastplate, +1 Heavy Steel Shield, +1 Long Sword, Cloak of Resistance +1

Design Choices: Due partly to ego (I can admit that much at least), and due partly to the dearth of canon Knights of the Shadows I see Irvyne as a Lieutenant in the order. He's been into Shadowborn Manor at least twice, and his work in Nidala essentially means part of his job is to guard the spiritual center of the order. That explains his class levels.

I built him with the notion that he looks the part of the brutish fighter, but in reality is a canny brawler geared more towards fighting with allies than beating his foes into the ground (Gondegal's usual tactic in my mind). He'll cast Compel Hostility before waiting in ambush with his allies. When the trap is sprung Compel Hostility will cause his foes to focus on him while his allies flank his enemies. Hell the entire purpose of his distinctive armor is to make himself a target and create openings for the rest of the pack. His favored Protector of the Weak feat is Precise Strike as most rank and file members of the Pack use the feat. Different allies favor different teamwork feats, and he'll switch feats as needed.

While not normally a powerhouse in combat he can focus himself pretty intensely if he uses challenge on a foe who is also a favored foe. He doesn't like doing it, however, because he can only use challenge once per day.

P.S. His skill at disguise is in honor of Gonzoran :)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

IrvyneWolfe wrote:P.S. His skill at disguise is in honor of Gonzoran :)
:D truly an honor....
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
divinedragonslayer
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by divinedragonslayer »

Speaking of Kateri I was thinking one of the tasks granted to her would be to collect the pieces of holy avenger and use a ceremony to reforge it.
Within the darkest depths the light shines the brightest
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Thanks for a great article (long time ago) and thanks for sharing the stats. Any chance of you posting the rest of the pack ?
IrvyneWolfe
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by IrvyneWolfe »

The Giamarga wrote:Thanks for a great article (long time ago) and thanks for sharing the stats. Any chance of you posting the rest of the pack ?
There aren't any plans on updating the rest of the pack, but some basic guidelines....

Pack Member (Human, Warrior 1/Rogue (Survivalist) 1; CG)
Elite Pack Member (Human, Ranger 2/Rogue 1; CG)

Garrick (Human Rogue [Bandit] 7; NG)
Mauvre (Human Wizard [Arcanist] 6; N)
Nadia Wolfe (Human Cleric [The Morning Lord] 7; CG)
Rupert Bramblebow (actually deserving of his own write up given what I had planned for him)

Some of the alignments are different than originally written, but then again that was 15 years ago.