Quoth the Raven and themes.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Quoth the Raven and themes.

Post by Jimsolo »

So, I had a question: how do the Dark Powers determine the theme for each year's QTR issue? Is it discussed somewhere? Are suggestions entertained?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Quoth the Raven and themes.

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

There's a secret meeting in the Shadow Rift, some human and inhuman sacrifices, and then gazing at entrails until the theme becomes obvious. Then a flock of messenger imps is dispatched to the distribute the news...

It is getting to be about that time to open up submissions. We haven't picked a theme yet. We are open to suggestion, as always...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:There's a secret meeting in the Shadow Rift, some human and inhuman sacrifices, and then gazing at entrails until the theme becomes obvious. Then a flock of messenger imps is dispatched to the distribute the news...
That's the same method I use to decide what I watch on television on weekends!
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Well, when you do pick a theme send a messenger imp my way. I've never tried to submit anything because I never thought my work was good enough, Gothic enough, etc. But this year I'm going to try. Just tell the imp to beware my hellcat. He's hasn't been catching enough meddling adventurers...er, I mean, fiendish mice lately and is getting hungry.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:We are open to suggestion, as always...
It's a simple one, but I'd like to suggest 'love' as a theme. While I'm sure other people would go a different direction with it, I always love exploring the idea of villains in love. (If you want something more specific, then 'Match Made in Hell' is my secondary suggestion.) So many problems, plots, and stories all boil down to someone loving somebody they shouldn't. So many heroes have lost love or love endangered as their primary motivation. It's such a fertile topic, I just can't use it enough in my own games.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Jimsolo wrote:
It's a simple one, but I'd like to suggest 'love' as a theme. While I'm sure other people would go a different direction with it, I always love exploring the idea of villains in love. (If you want something more specific, then 'Match Made in Hell' is my secondary suggestion.) So many problems, plots, and stories all boil down to someone loving somebody they shouldn't. So many heroes have lost love or love endangered as their primary motivation. It's such a fertile topic, I just can't use it enough in my own games.

Lol sounds kinda like a brief write up I did about a golem and Lyssa Von Zarovich.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

It's a simple one, but I'd like to suggest 'love' as a theme.
It sounds like a good theme idea to me, Ravenloft and Gothic fiction in general are full of love stories. It doesn't have too much overlap with past years either.
Above the conquered folk,
the draconic citadel
awaits rebellion.

Not the daimon, just a namesake.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Jimsolo wrote:
Not a bad theme if done properly. Hell, it would be near perfect.

I was going to suggest Shadows (things that lurk in, monsters made of, dealings done behind, etc.) as my personal domain has a similar concept (even using a version of the shadow lich from the Book of Shadows, already a compelling argument against a shadow themed issue). Another concern is that I lack that evolutionary gene where I am unable to understand and utilize 3rd and 4th edition materials. I don't think a bunch of 2nd edition stats and monsters are going to go over well.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

Dark Angel wrote:
Jimsolo wrote:
Not a bad theme if done properly. Hell, it would be near perfect.

I was going to suggest Shadows (things that lurk in, monsters made of, dealings done behind, etc.) as my personal domain has a similar concept (even using a version of the shadow lich from the Book of Shadows, already a compelling argument against a shadow themed issue). Another concern is that I lack that evolutionary gene where I am unable to understand and utilize 3rd and 4th edition materials. I don't think a bunch of 2nd edition stats and monsters are going to go over well.
I'd be happy to work with you to convert 2nd edition stats to 3rd edition ones so you could give both stat blocks if you wanted.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

It's not that *I* want it, but it is a lot of work and may not be worth it to others otherwise. We shall see, but I am thanking you in advance for offering to help. Thanks, Jimsolo!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I don't think a bunch of 2nd edition stats and monsters are going to go over well.
Not true! QTR accepts all editions! We would welcome anything you have, and as you can see, there is no shortage of volunteers willing to help with conversions. So bring on the NWPs and saves vs death magic, and dual classing and kits, and of course, THAC0. :) heck, unless someone submits some dnd-next stuff, we're all using outdated systems.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Hey, Dark Angel. I would need to know which materials you would like to update but I would not mind offering to helping out with it too.

Love does sound like a very interesting theme. In my pathfinder thread I am working on Ivania and Vorno (The Ghoul) and the domain of Sunderheart adapting them and the land for use in the campaign setting. Their love, even though it failed was described as true love.

Also need to look through some of my folders. I know I have a few projects that would fit this theme.
Kadarin
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Kadarin »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
I don't think a bunch of 2nd edition stats and monsters are going to go over well.
Not true! QTR accepts all editions! We would welcome anything you have, and as you can see, there is no shortage of volunteers willing to help with conversions. So bring on the NWPs and saves vs death magic, and dual classing and kits, and of course, THAC0. :) heck, unless someone submits some dnd-next stuff, we're all using outdated systems.
I can only agree with this. All stuff I have sent to QtR was ad&d2, and it all got published. Personally, I think that even one submits a d&d1 whatever, it would still be in the next QtR - if it's something ravenloftish.
k.
Morn came and went – and came, and brought no day
– George Gordon, Darkness
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

The most important part of an article is the new material. For the stats, a good DM can convert to his / her own system.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Joël of the FoS wrote:The most important part of an article is the new material. For the stats, a good DM can convert to his / her own system.
True, I have been taking 3rd edition stuff (especially from this site) and using it for my own purposes. I will likely start a new thread in the next few months and put up what I have. Anyone is welcome to then convert and place, then that may be ready for this year's Quoth. Thanks for the offered help, I may need you all in the next few weeks.