Castlevania artwork plagiarized Ravenloft?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
eldritch
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Castlevania artwork plagiarized Ravenloft?

Post by eldritch »

anyone else notice that Castlevania 2 box art is a direct rip off of Ravenloft artwork? How did this escape my attention when I have been a huge fan of both franchises for years?

The original artist is Clyde Caldwell. It obviously was used as the cover art on the original AD&D Ravenloft 1983 adventure by Tracy and Laura Hickman. Castlevania II Simon's Quest came out for Nintendo in 1988.

When it was actually painted I am not sure. Also I am unsure if the artist would hold the rights to this image or if TSR Inc. (and Later TSR Hobbies Inc. and ultimately Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro) would hold the copyright? I can't believe nothing would have been done by the artist involved legally. Especially with big companies like TSR Inc. and Nintendo/Konami and lots of lawyers. You don't suppose that this art was actually approved and resold somehow? Anyone know more info on this? I wonder who painted this obvious "homage" to our famous vampire?

It appears something might have been done legally...the 1990 European release of the Castlevania II cartridge had a blank background

Joël of the FoS

Re: Castlevania artwork plagiarized Ravenloft?

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Yes my son, we are aware of this unfortunate ... borrowing to our church.

We have send this person a ... gift he most probably won't like, but what do you know, when you touch holy icons with a dirty hand, that is what's happening ;)

---

;)

Yes I think someone posted this ressemblance 2 or 3 years ago. That's indeed quite similar!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Castlevania artwork plagiarized Ravenloft?

Post by Nemesio »

That picture is hilarious!