Trailer for "The Wolfman"

Books, movies, television and everything else
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Trailer for "The Wolfman"

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Okay, this looks pretty cool, in a "Sleepy Hollow" / "Brotherhood of the Wolf" kind of way:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42116

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it's a period piece! I expected a modern updating. Terrific cast, and Joe Johnston is a talented director.

--Ken
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Ornum
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Ornum »

I am most pleased with the fact that while the transformations are CGI, Benicio Del Toro will be wearing makeup for the wolf form instead of the crappy CGI werewolves we had been getting in past films. This movie shows promise.
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Ornum wrote:I am most pleased with the fact that while the transformations are CGI, Benicio Del Toro will be wearing makeup for the wolf form instead of the crappy CGI werewolves we had been getting in past films. This movie shows promise.
It actually looked, to my eyes, like the transformations are being done by successive applications of makeup, as in the old days-- except with morphing making the transitions rather than lap dissolves. I wonder if this is the case?
Twin Agate Dragons
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Twin Agate Dragons »

Definitely looking forward to this.
[url=http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6410]Ravenloft - The Dreull Lands[/url] | [url=http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6413]Recent Updates[/url]
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Brandi wrote:It actually looked, to my eyes, like the transformations are being done by successive applications of makeup, as in the old days-- except with morphing making the transitions rather than lap dissolves. I wonder if this is the case?
From what I've read, they originally intended to go with makeup, but have opted for CGI. The transition does look very smooth; maybe it is a little bit of both.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Ken of Ghastria wrote: From what I've read, they originally intended to go with makeup, but have opted for CGI. The transition does look very smooth; maybe it is a little bit of both.
The smoothness of the transitions practically screams "CGI" but the textures on the skin and hair are far better than I've seen in a lot of films, so it's either stages of makeup or they actually took good care with their rendering for once. (Fur is a stone b*tch to render, being a complex-moving, complexly light-scattering texture-- and it's rather easy to do it badly: American Werewolf in Paris, for example.)
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Brandi wrote:(Fur is a stone b*tch to render, being a complex-moving, complexly light-scattering texture-- and it's rather easy to do it badly: American Werewolf in Paris, for example.)
Painfully true ... but what a kick-ass opening. :)
--W. Somerset Maugham
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Ken of Ghastria wrote:Painfully true ... but what a kick-ass opening. :)
That's as may be, but I have never seen the film, I was so disappointed by the werewolf work. Not only was it poorly rendered, but frankly that creature design would've looked no less crappy in practical effects as far as I was concerned.
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

If you see it listed for cable, just watch the first few minutes (the jump on the Eiffel Tower). Terrific sequence!
--W. Somerset Maugham
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Great !
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

wow, really excellent looking... serious acting, nice moody-looking direction. Could be great, we shall see.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

I am a complete fan of the original "Wolfman" with Cheney Jr. so I would be hard-pressed to be impressed by a reboot. IMO, I think this film could have worked well ten years ago when both the aforementioned "Sleepy Hollow" and "Brotherhood of the Wolf" (both great films BTW) were released, but for me, it just doesn't feel timely now. And where's the vital subplot of the original film with the gypsies?! I find it interesting that they're making the lead actor playing Larry Talbot look an awful lot like Cheney did in '41 though. My gut feeling is that the CGI is going to ruin it and we'll have another epic Universal masterpiece a la "Van Helsing" on our hands. . . :roll:
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

"I rule out nothing. Nor, I imagine, do you."
"Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside . . . "
"Hail Strahd, Lord of Barovia!"
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

LadySoth wrote:My gut feeling is that the CGI is going to ruin it and we'll have another epic Universal masterpiece a la "Van Helsing" on our hands. . . :roll:
I wouldn't worry about that. Van Helsing was an attempt to make a new character from whole cloth and shoehorn in the monsters into Wolfman Meets Frankenstein type movie.

And even that caught the "why did they bother with that monster" that the old mash-ups had.

The Wolfman trailer inspired me to toss in the original 1941 version yesterday and I have to admit that I'm even more charged about this movie than before.

For example, the scene in the trailer where you get a sweeping view of the decaying manor house covered in vines is almost an exact replica of the shot in the original after the opening credits.

Also, unlike Van Helsing, The Wolfman seems to have chosen their primary actors based on acting ability, not sex appeal. Emily Blunt is quite good looking, but she isn't the "stare at my costume and pretend that I'm actually acting" type they had in Van Helsing.

That and they seem to be taking the plot where it should have gone in the original. If you have a man that apparently clubbed another man to death, who then claims that he turns into a monster during the full moon, and is found filthy in bloody, ripped clothes after a killing spree, you toss him into the asylum and try to cure him (as brutally) as only Victorian medicine can. And they you put him on display to see the manifestation of his psychosis during the moon.

And it turns out the make-up artist did the make-up for An American Werewolf in London.

And Del Toro was a collector of Wolfman memorabilia before getting cast in the part.

I think there's enough passion and respect for the source material to make something new. I'm looking forward to it, and so is my fiancee, who isn't a huge horror movie buff.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
brass
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by brass »

I went and saw Wolfman last night and I cannot fault it. It is a great atmospheric period monster movie.

Gypsies, torch wielding villagers, a huge half abandoned family home and a detective from Scotland yard. If you have ever run or played in a Ravenloft I'd say you'll love it. There was not one bad note in the acting and the cgi was quite good. It was a pity due to time constraints they couldn't manage a part prosthetic part cgi sequence like they wanted.
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

I saw it this evening, I enjoyed it overall. My only real complaint is watching 2 hours of washed-out and muted colors became tiresome, I would have liked some colors in the non-horrific scenes if just to provide contrast. If they did this to emulate the black & white nature of the original film, fine, but it was tedious and at times a little too dark for me to see. I don't think it will show well on DVD later unless they brighten it up some.
I only wish I had retired sooner!