ADnD PC generator

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Vannax
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

ADnD PC generator

Post by Vannax »

Hey, does anyone know about a good ADnD player character generator for download? Can you recommend me any?
Thx

Edit: It should be designed for RL setting of course.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

This is a decent online one: http://www.pathguy.com/rloft.htm

I do have one for download but I can't remember where I got it. I did a Google search for "NPC Designer" and it seems you have to pay for it - although I'm pretty sure I got mine for free.

If you want, send me a PM and I can send you my copy. All I remember about it is that I got it maybe two years ago.
Vannax
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Vannax »

This generator is good, but it is for 3E characters not for AD&D...
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

http://www.adnddownloads.com/chargen.php

Try this one Vannax it has 3.0 as well as 3.5

Cheers, Steve.
Vannax
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Vannax »

OK, tarlyn, It looks well.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Wait, wait. By "AD&D" do you mean 3.5? Because that's still D&D.

AD&D technically means 2nd ed., which is the last time there was any difference between AD&D and D&D.
Vannax
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Vannax »

ADnD = 2E
No further edition was marked as "advanced".
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Vannax wrote:ADnD = 2E
No further edition was marked as "advanced".
I looked at my 3.0 n 3.5books and indeed they say Dungeons and Dragons. Guess it's not advanced anymore :lucas: But that may have to do with the fact that It is Wotc and not TSR anymore as 2nd edition was TSR 3.0 Wotc
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

If I recall correctly, back in the day of 1st edition, the difference between the two was not just in their rulesets. There was a different demographic too. D&D dealt primarily with kids and teens, and the products likewise were children-friendly.

AD&D featured somewhat more adult-oriented content, with considerably greater leeway in portraying dark material.

Noteworthy: the original I6 Ravenloft adventure module was an AD&D product! :)
Last edited by HuManBing on Mon May 21, 2007 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

HuManBing wrote:If I recall correctly, back in the day of 1st edition, the difference between the two was not just in their rulesets. There was a different demographic too. D&D dealt primarily with kids and teens, and the products likewise were children-friendly.

AD&D featured somewhat more adult material, with considerably greater leeway in portraying dark material.

Noteworthy: the original I6 Ravenloft adventure module was an AD&D product! :)
Ditto on that, I was 12 when I started in 77.
Sylaire
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sylaire »

Just a point--D&D was presented as if it was more child-friendly, if by child-friendly one means "not written as if by a team of lawyers obsessed with pseudo-medieval jargon" and "illustrations of females in the core rulebooks all are fully clothed." (I was 10 when I got Deities and Demi-Gods; it is for this reason that even now, as a 35-year-old adult, I reflexively snicker at any mention of Loviatar)

The actual game content, especially by the time the Companion Set was rolling out, really wasn't any less "adult," IMHO--consider, for example, the political murders and treachery in B6 ("The Veiled Society"), the slave-taking of the Iron Ring in B10, to say nothing of the excellently developed work in the Gazetteer series.

Makes me think that realization might just be one reason why WotC decided to dump the whole "Advanced" label for 3E...
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Actually, the real OOC difference was that AD&D was Gary Gygax's baby, while Basic/Expert/etc D&D was Dave Arneson's. :wink:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I got the first 0th-edition D&D booklet (the one with the blue cover, and with one single booklet outlining rules for players and DM alike) back in 1987, along with a dog eared copy of "Keep on the Borderlands".

It was fun. It was educational. The glossary in KotB taught me what a "crenellation" was, and likewise with "orb", "amulet", and "castellan". Vampires were the toughest undead, and dragons did damage equal to their remaining hp with their breath weapons I think.

Then in 1991, as a grizzled 11-year-old wise beyond my years, I fancied myself a DM and decided to buy the AD&D 2nd ed. DMG.

Clyde Caldwell quickly became the favored artist among my gaming group of prepubescent boys, for his flattering portrayals of the female form. None of the women we knew dressed like that, to be sure.

Also, one of the boys in my group LOOKED EXACTLY LIKE the nubile female on the cover of the "Tome of Magic". They could literally have been mother and son. We used to give him grief over that.

Artwise, I prefer 3rd's lesser sexualization of the female gender. They also did away with the uniformly male pronouns. (Anybody remember the editor's note at the start of 2nd ed saying "masculine pronouns are the only thing that's natural sounding - nothing else is"?)

The stuff about Asians still has some way to go though.