New Ravenloft fiction

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Strahd of WoD&D
Conspirator
Conspirator

New Ravenloft fiction

Post by Strahd of WoD&D »

I couldn't see this around in any of the sections, so I just thought I would drop in here and mention it.

I don't know how many have seen the official announcement from WotC about new Ravenloft fiction, moving on from Ravenloft : The Covenant to Ravenloft : Dominion.

This is the anouncement in full:-

Ravenloft: Dominion isn't the same horror you used to read. Combining the best of gothic horror with the best of fantasy, Ravenloft: Dominion comes up with something entirely new -- something that touches the world we live in, our Earth, not merely lands that never were. Something that taints our world, our history, with the darkness of the Domains.

A series of stories that show you the evil that lies at the core of our own history.

Black Crusade, by Ari Marmell, coming March 2008

As Jerusalem falls to the soldiers of the First Crusade, the Laginate Grimoire exercises its influence on a population already mad with the terror of the sacking of the Holy City. Diederic de Wyndt realizes the Grimoire's influence on his companion, Father Lambrecht, too late -- but not so late as to keep Lambrecht from trial for his crimes. The sentence rendered is death, but as Lambrecht and the Grimoire are swallowed by flames, the Mists of Ravenloft choose their victim and seize him into the previously unknown domain of Malosia. Diederic chooses vengeance over wiser actions and follows Lambrecht into the Mists, beginning a tale of adventure, blood, and revenge that moves from Earth to Malosia and back again.

The Sleep of Reason, by C.A. Suleiman, coming August 2008

Moving forward in time nearly 800 years, The Horizon Society's newest member, Charles Bromley, is approached about a missing compatriot, Cyrus Umber, who has vanished from his home in the town of Sharing Cross. Charles is tasked with investigating the disappearance -- by the father of his betrothed, in a harsh test of a prospective son-in-law. When Charles arrives in Sharing Cross, he quickly becomes aware that the missing man's interests go rather beyond what the rest of the Horizon Society considers a normal interest in the occult. Before he can react to that knowledge, the Mists rise around him - but they do not send him to a new world. Instead, they drive him first mad and then to the new laboratory of the missing man, where Umber waits for Charles to arrive and to bring the last piece of the puzzle he needs to complete the picture of obsession and magic and the deadly terror of dreams.
Strahd Von Zarovich

http://www.worldsofdnd.com
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Wow, that's cool :)

Thanks Jim!
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Very interesting! Thanks for posting!
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

So basically their novalising MotRD?
Hail Strahd!
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Scarycount wrote:So basically their novalising MotRD?
That is exactly what I was thinking. I just hope it isn't terrible.
Joël of the FoS

Ari Marmell is writing one of them. That sounds good.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

This is excellant news! I wonder now two things; did those of us who mailed letters to Wizards book department so long ago help sway opinions favorably towards continuing the Ravenloft novels series? What is the likelyhood that WotC will release a new hard cover version of Masque in 2008 to tie in with the novels?
Joël of the FoS

Catman Jim wrote:This is excellant news! I wonder now two things; did those of us who mailed letters to Wizards book department so long ago help sway opinions favorably towards continuing the Ravenloft novels series? What is the likelyhood that WotC will release a new hard cover version of Masque in 2008 to tie in with the novels?
It seems to follow strange but intriguing guidelines - i.e. our world's Jerusalem with a domain mixed in, i.e. a mix between RL and GE?

It seems the first RL: covenant rerelease sales were good :) Which is a good news.

Joël
Nightfall
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Nightfall »

Considering Ari's work in Ravenloft beforehand (Dark and Disturbing Tales for example), I'm very stoked at the prospect of more Ravenloft fiction. Especially since this might mean the Demi-plane of Dread might be getting a revamp. Now obviously some of us would like to keep the Mists and everything the way it is...but consider this:

d20 modern Ravenloft....

Has a nice ring no?
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

So, when did Wizbro put the Frat under NDA to write a RL manual for upcoming 4e? :wink:

I am glad to see the Mists are not dead - WotC would be just dumb if they did, because, apart from oldies like Paranoia or Chill, this would leave the Horror Game market completely to WW and the other Cthulhu companies. :)

Now, let's see how that develops. I was pretty sure that they would put out new horror stuff at WotC some time soon. What other use would it have to keep experts like Ari Marmell or C. A. Suleiman under contract, if not to exploit them in what they're best? :)

BTW, Ari Marmell has put out an interesting adventure for Necromancer last year that may well be used as a RL adventure as well:

The Doom of Listonshire
Strahd of WoD&D
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Strahd of WoD&D »

Joël of the FoS wrote:Thanks Jim!
No worries.

By the way, if you want to ask Ari any questions you can find him HERE.

I think he has been gagging to let this out for a while.

To quote Ari, from another thread on Worlds:
Ari Marmell wrote:I can say that I don't think fans of the old Ravenloft have much to worry about. I'm a huge fan of the setting myself, and while there are differences in this new incarnation, I think the spirit of the old--if you'll pardon the pun--is alive and well.
and
Ari Marmell wrote:Portions of it do take place in historical Earth, but the bulk of it does indeed take place in the domains.
Strahd Von Zarovich

http://www.worldsofdnd.com
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

d20 Modern Ravenloft, eh?

Seems very redolent of The Crow, and other favored settings. Hope this turns out well!
Joël of the FoS

And from Ari's board:
Q: Oh, that sounds a-MAZ-ing! Congrats on such a fun premise and period. Can't wait to see what you do with it.
Given the amount of AQ I wrote, though, you'll have to forgive me if I cheer a little for the Saracens.

Ari: lol
No worries. Al Qadim is, in fact, tied for Ravenloft as my favorite setting from old editions. :-)
I will warn you, though, that only a relatively small portion of the novel actually takes place in Jerusalem/the real world. So you won't have too much opportunity to cheer for the Saracens this time. That said, I see no reason not to revisit the period in later works, if I'm allowed to write any, so hold the thought. ;-)
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

This is very cool news. I was 75% happy and 25% nervous when I first heard about this, but after reading Ari's comments, it's more of a 95% / 5% mix. :)
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Mouseferatu
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Mouseferatu »

Strahd of WoD&D wrote:By the way, if you want to ask Ari any questions you can find him HERE.
Ah, why make them travel. You can find me here, too. ;)

I'm happy to answer whatever questions I can, with the understanding that I'm still bound by NDA, so I can't go much beyond what's in the press release. I can't promise to get to any questions in the next couple of days--I'm going out of town for the Mom's Day weekend--but I'll be happy to check in once I'm back.
Ari Marmell
aka
Mouseferatu
--Rodent of the Dark

www.mouseferatu.com