Wich Lord of the Rings book do you prefer.

Books, movies, television and everything else

Which book to you prefer?

The Fellowship of the Ring
43%
The Two Towers
29%
The Return of the King
29%

Total votes: 14

Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Wich Lord of the Rings book do you prefer.

Post by Scarycount »

Had another conversation with my friends about Tolkein's work. We liked different LotR books the best. I decided to pose the question to this community. I like the fellowship best, mainly because of the coucil of Elrond, and Gandalf's exposition scene, and how scary the black riders were when I first read the book. I also liked how Fellowship takes the very idle life of the hobbits, and slowly begins to contrast it to the troubles unfolding thoughout the world.
Hail Strahd!
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

I can say the one I like the least is the second, but I can't exactly distinguish between the other two.

Alex
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

The first one for me. I find it the most heroic and it's the one where everything beggins. My favorite scene is when the fellowship is actually formed.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

For me, it'd have to be the third book; Tolkein actually gave his trilogy a sense of narrative closure, which many other writers don't.

Now it we were talking about the films, I'd have to say the second one was the best. Gandalf's resurrection, the white horse, the best battles; that film had everything. I thought the first film was pretty good, but I really couldn't get into the last one; it just seemed like a rehash of the other two, or an extended cut of the second film, and it was way too long and torturous to watch toward the end. *They've faded to black. Its over! Yay! . . . oh, never mind, its just a really abrupt transition to the next hour long scene.* :roll: :lol:
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

"I rule out nothing. Nor, I imagine, do you."
"Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside . . . "
"Hail Strahd, Lord of Barovia!"
Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malus Black »

Hmm... y'know, I never considered the books separate entities, so I'd rather like a fourth option with "It's just one bloody big book, man!" :D
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream

-Edgar Allan Poe
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I can never decide between Towers and King, I just both them both so damn much! Of course, the Uruk-hai at Helms Deep is one of my favourite sections of the whole book.
Swallow your soul!
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

I'm gonna agree with Malus Black that it's really more like "one big long book." Choosing a favorite is kinda like taking one book and picking your favorite chapter.

That said, I'm gonna go with Two Towers. Fellowship was really solid, but there was too much extraneous garbage in there (I can't agree more with Peter Jackson's decision to leave Tom Bombadil completely out of the movie). Return of the King felt too short compared to the others, plus there's just too much wrap-up at the end. Still a great book, but weakest of the trilogy in my opinion.
Kel-nage
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Kel-nage »

I went for Return of the King - mainly because of the ending. The scouring of the shire was probably my favourite bit in all of Lord of the Rings.
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

I went with Fellowship of the Ring, but I am actually torn between it and Return of the King. But, let's also remember the Silmarillion for the nifty elven dictionary in the back. Man, I love elven (or elvish). Speaking of which, some of you may find this interesting...

http://www.jrrvf.com/hisweloke/sindar/o ... en-sd.html
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb