JUST an idea...

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Atrelegis
Conspirator
Conspirator

JUST an idea...

Post by Atrelegis »

Greetings ladies and gentlemen. This is my first post in these forums, after a few month's worth of lurking and I've decided to start off with an idea.

Since Quoth the Raven has already inserted new regions in the Demiplane of Dread, including the small smurff domain, a crazy thought came to mind.

What about South Park?

Let's put things in a rational order: South Park is a small mountain town, pretty much removed form civilisation, a place of awful rites, superistition, mad science, madder occult events, filled with a great number of citizens with the potential of inflicting evil, if not embodying evil. They have had many brushes with destruction and death, most of which concerned children.

Not to mention a perspective darklord with a very promising backgorund and curse:

Eric Cartman.

Now I know most of you will wave your head in disapproval, sigh with disbelief, or even choose to check another topic, but please bother to read the following facts:

-Eric Cartman is a child, a malevolent one. He is a racist and is offensive to jews, minorites and the poor, mostly due to his lack of affection or a fatherly figure
-He has commited a great number of atrocities, many of which pale some of the darklord's most hideous crimes. Take for example the case of Scott Tenorman, whose parents he ground up and had him eat.
-There is an available figure for him to focus both torment and affection and that is his mother. She loves him and gives in to anything he asks, practically enslaving her. She lives under his iron grip round her life.
-He has a nemesis, Kyle Brovlowsky, who thwarts his plans. Eric is a master manipulator and would be unstoppable hadn't it been for someone with Kyle's resolve to ruin each and every scheme of his. He is his opposite reflection and they are locked in eternal conflict with each other.
-He is a child and will remain a child. The malevolence inside him is enough to make high nigh-omnipotent, but his childish view of the world limits him to a fracton of his potential. His domain could easily be a little hell where time stands still, a place sealed with mountains, away from civilisation and human contact.

Okay, so maybe I said more than I should, but I really felt like I should share this idea with you people. I'm not expecting a netbook out of it, but it was something I'd like to throw into the idea pool.
Fear the unkown, respect the unknown...
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I'll have some of what he's having, please...
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
vipera aspis
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by vipera aspis »

am i drunk?
my bones among the rocks and roots
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Why am I having flashbacks back to the thread concerning a domain based off of Jimmy Neutron?
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I'm reserving first dibs on the 3.5 write-up of Mr. Hanky The Christmas Poo. I'd been throwing around the idea of writing up an "Earwax Golem" template for a while now, but now I think I may have to, erm, aim a little lower.

If you catch my - erm - drift...
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Re: JUST an idea...

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Atrelegis wrote:-There is an available figure for him to focus both torment and affection and that is his mother. She loves him and gives in to anything he asks, practically enslaving her. She lives under his iron grip round her life.
Actually, with this in mind, I think that it would be interesting to use the Unholy Scion template from Heroes of Horror on him. This would give Eric an array of special abilities above and beyond a merely 10-year-old child. Plus, it would give him the familial charm ability that controls his mother.

Atrelegis wrote:-He is a child and will remain a child. The malevolence inside him is enough to make high nigh-omnipotent, but his childish view of the world limits him to a fracton of his potential. His domain could easily be a little hell where time stands still, a place sealed with mountains, away from civilisation and human contact.
And don't forget that this would greatly limit his ability to get 1,000,000 gold pieces... :roll:
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

:shock: *Goes and gets a beer*

The silly this idea is, the cool I think it would be to play this out... :)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I think there is a funny show there named South Park. I have seen an episode once.

PS Welcome! :)
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

welcome atrelegis to the forums!

that's what smurf villages can do to a person - but you were nuts (in the good sense) even before this ;)
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
Atrelegis
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Atrelegis »

So, most of the reactions were expected...

Actually, I wasn;t referring to using south park as a domain in itself, but as a domain concept at the least. A darklord child, surounded by family and friends, never growing old, their population never dwindling people who die and live again the next day as if nothing happened, a life chock full of extremities can all be good points of inspiration for a domain.

Iamgine the characters entering a strange domain, where everything is unfamiliar. They are plagued by prejudice, attacked by alien entitie, get caught up in a crazy story...

And when the sun rises again, they are back to square one.

This experience can cripple a man's mental stability or downright shatter it, as he relives crazy, spectacular or deadly situations over and over, while everyone around him is oblivious to the fact.

Okay, so the South Park idea was dumb. But there are elements that can be used from it...
Fear the unkown, respect the unknown...
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

If you're saying it'd be played straight, not for laughs, then it sounds a bit more like that Twilight Zone episode based on Jerome Bixby's "It's A Good Life" than it does, South Park. :?

That might actually be workable, come to think of it... :twisted:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Sounds a little like the domain of Wayward on the Bone Sands from the BoS series. That had a child DL who ground people up and fed them to others.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Sorti
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sorti »

Atrelegis wrote: Okay, so the South Park idea was dumb. But there are elements that can be used from it...
Hey, it was not dumb, I like it... :wink:
Nonetheless I think we would lose the main features of the cartoon by making a domain out of it, aince all of the sarcasm and satire (sp?) would be lost...
Coltiviamo per tutti un rancore
che ha l'odore del sangue rappreso
ciò che allora chiamammo dolore
è soltanto un discorso sospeso
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Have any of you guys read "It's a Good Life"? It has a very "Island in the Mists" feel to it, and it has a certain similarity to the South Park idea--mostly in the child darklord, I suppose.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Atrelegis wrote:Actually, I wasn;t referring to using south park as a domain in itself, but as a domain concept at the least. A darklord child, surounded by family and friends, never growing old, their population never dwindling people who die and live again the next day as if nothing happened
I would agree with Sorti in that you would lose a bit of the Gothic feel if you were trying to stay true to South Park. With all of the satire and sarcasm within the show, I doubt you could pull off a very dark/gothic feel. However, you could certainly use a lot of the elements to create the domain that you proposed.

Atrelegis wrote:This experience can cripple a man's mental stability or downright shatter it, as he relives crazy, spectacular or deadly situations over and over, while everyone around him is oblivious to the fact.
Actually, I think that this would make a wonderful situation for players to deal with (not unlike the insanity that occurs in Vechor). Everyone keeps reliving the same day(s), and the only people that are aware of the truth are newcomers to the domain and the Darklord. Newcomers struggle to keep their sanity as they deal with these spectacular or deadly situations ove and over. The Darklord, on the other hand, deals with the frustration that he can never truly win when time keep resetting everything (i.e., enemies return from the dead each day, treasures won are returned during the night, master plans never reach fruitition, etc.).
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]