Looking for a specific Carmilla vampire film

Books, movies, television and everything else
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Looking for a specific Carmilla vampire film

Post by Ail »

Hi folks,

I remember when I was a teen, about 10 to 15 years ago, watching the few horror movies that public television aired by that time (now they do even less :-( ) and I know I saw a good deal of vampire and Frankenstein movies by then. I loved most of them, and viscerally hated others, but that's not the point now.
One of those that created the most lasting impression on me was one based in Le Fanu's Carmilla. This much I remember well. But I'd like to see it again and I don't know which one it is, so I'll tell you what few things I remember to see if anyone can put me on the right track. For starters, I have seen Twins of Evil and Vampire Lovers and it was none of these. In fact, I think it must be newer than these, but I can't be absolutely sure. The reason for this is that I distinctly remember there were bold lesbian scenes involved, where I remember to see two naked women kissing and hugging. At least their full naked legs could be seen with them lying one against the other, in a shot that I think had a very reddish tone, compared to the rest of the movie.
This scene is the thing I remember the best, so it might not be a good sign, but I think I also remember the end sequence when the heroes kill Carmilla. I have read the story later, so I may be actually telling what I imagined from the book, but I think this movie really had the heroes look for Mircalla's tomb in a secret compartment in the abandoned church. Also, I think they used the real names like Village Karnstein and General Spielsdorf. I even think I remember seeing a way leading down to the village.
So the question is: does anyone recall a film that had these ingredients?
I'd be very grateful if you did.
Thanks.

Alex
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

A good starting place-

http://www.imdb.com

Type in Carmilla in the search box and then do the drop down so it searches for characters only.

This will pull up any and all movies with a character named Carmilla.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

The only IMDB search for a character named Spielsdorf is in fact from The Vampire Lovers.

The use of tinting in the scene sounds like Roger Vadim's Blood and Roses (1960, original title Et mourir de plaisir) but I don't think they kept many of the character names.