Ravenloft Cosmology

Discussing all things Ravenloft
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NykylaiHellray »

Apparently there has been talk of people trying to make......but not much =/....

Here was atopic where they atempted to make the plane of metal:
http://www.planewalker.com/forums/viewT ... 88486539b0

We just have to slightly alter what they said....though as you said we would have to make whole new elemental monsters...

Oh are you tempted to do the parametal and qusimental planes?

http://www.planewalker.com/encyclopedia ... ntryID=322
http://www.planewalker.com/encyclopedia ... ntryID=322
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

I don't wanna do paraelemental planes, mainly because I fail to see what mixing the corrupted elements would make. (blood + mist = ???)

The same goes for quasielementals. (grave + positive energy = ???)

If someone tries to summon one, I'm guessing it'd go like this:

Ooze Elemental -> Grave Elemental
Smoke Elemental -> Mist Elemental
Ice Elemental -> Evil aligned Ice Elemental
Magma Elemental -> Pyre Elemental
Lightning Elemental -> Evil aligned Lightning Elemental
Radiance Elemental -> Pyre Elemental (or maybe the shadow elemental from Tome of Magic :twisted: )
Steam Elemental -> Mist Elemental (and the poor sucker won't be able to tell what he summoned! :twisted: :twisted: )
Mineral Elemental -> Grave Elemental
Salt Elemental -> Grave Elemental or maybe Evil aligned Salt Elemental
Vacuum Elemental -> Evil aligned Vacuum Elemental
Ash Elemental -> Evil aligned Ash Elemental
Dust Elemental -> Grave Elemental
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NykylaiHellray »

Yeah it would be odd to do those :?

Hmmm now to think about rust and thorn....hmm....I am so bad at making templates for mons =/
Fuzzball
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Fuzzball »

The Battlebriar (MMIII p14) sounds like something that belongs on a plane of thorn. They have thorn specific Special Qualities. If you have to start with wood there's the Wood Woad (MMIII p196)

As for metal, constructs seem most appropriate. Tweak them a bit if you really want to make them elementals. Then for rust, a rusting grasp attack.
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NykylaiHellray »

I know you said it is pointless to do the quasimental planes...but hey I like a challenge and came up with a few of what the dread version would be.

Positive Quasiplanes
"Though it is true that these are the most positive places within the realms of dread. The dark taint still thrives. Though the dead do not thrive here, darker monsters of life live in there stead. For who says life and death has alignments?"

Great wheel version ---------- Demiplane of Dread version
earth + positive = Mineral <> grave + positive = maggots
air + positive = lightning <> mist + positive = thunder
fire + positive = radience <> pyre + positive = glare
water + positive = steam <> blood + positive = acid

"Death brings life, and in the plane of maggots that is even more true. Growing fat on the rotting corpses from the plane of graves, it is said it exists directly below the grave plane, and exists as giants caverns beneath the surface"

Hmm blood mixed with life, probably would mean a plane of monsters. The dna changing into living beings =/...

Negative Quasiplanes
"If you thought the rest of the planes where dark, you have seen nothing yet"

Great wheel version --------- Demiplane of Dread version
grave + negative = dust <> grave + negative = bone
air + negative = vacuum <> mist + negative = noxious fumes
fire + negative = ash <> pyre + negative = cinder
water + negative = salt <> blood + negative = scab

(edit: the ideas for the quasi planes of cinder, noxios fume, glare, and acid was by Mortepierre)

-------------------------------------

Oh I posted on the official forums asking if someone could help me make stats for thorn and rust elementals, and Watchdog_of_Hades made this.

Thorn Elemental
Medium Elemental (Some subtype...)
Hit dice: 16d8+80+16 (168 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 40 ft.
Armor Class: (), touch , flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+18
Attack: Claw +19 melee (2d6+6 slashing and piercing)
Full attack: 2 claws +19 (2d6+6 slashing and piercing)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Impale, engulf, the embrace of roses...
Special Qualities: Elemental traits, conflagrate
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +11, Will +11
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 18, Con 20, Int 16, Wis 18, Cha 18
Skills: Profession (gardener) +30*
Feats: Improved initiative, Improved toughness, Iron will, Lightning reflexes, Improved natural attack (claw), Weapon focus (claw)
Environment: Forests
Organization: Solitary of gang (2-5)
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: Solitary
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 17-27 HD (Medium); 28-39 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

From the brush to the side rises a humanoid figure. It seems to be made of brambles, roses and other thorned plants. It shambles towards you, rustling and scraping as it comes.

Thorn elementals are creatures composed of plants with thorns, usually created when such a mass is exposed to very strong transmutation magic. They claim the nearby forest as their own and begin growing thorned plants, uprooting non-thorned ones whenever possible. Beyond that, they are enigmatic. Whether they have goals or wishes, nobody knows.

Combat
Impale (Ex): A thorn elemental can shake itself wildly at opponents, launching a volley of barbs at them. As a standard action, it can spray a 30-foot cone of thorns, dealing 8d6 damage (Reflex DC 22 half) to any creature caught in it. After using this ability, a thorn elemental cannot use it again for 1d4 rounds, during which time the damage from Engulf and Embrace of Roses is halved (round down). This regrowing of thorns is supernatural, and so is suppressed by an Antimagic Field.
Engulf (Ex): A thorn elemental is a mass of thorns, and its constant movement rips and tears at anything unlucky enough to be caught within it. With a successful grapple check against an opponent of Medium size or smaller, it can shove the enemy into itself, gouging it with thorns every round for 4d6 damage, A creature can escape with a successful grapple check made once a round.
The embrace of roses... is full of thorns. Yes, I shamelessly stole that line from the Rose and Thorn Stylist class. Every round a creature is grappling with a thorn elemental, it takes 2d6 damage. This ability is extraordinary.
Conflagrate (Ex): Yes, a thorn elemental catches fire, but often it is not worth it to set it alight. Whenever a thorn elemental takes more than 10 points of fire damage, its body becomes one giant inferno. It takes 3d6 a round, but whenever its claw attacks hit a target's touch AC (though the claws have to hit the normal AC to deal their damage), the enemy takes 1d6 fire damage.
Elemental Traits: A thorn elemental has darkvision 60 feet, immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, flanking, and critical hits, and can only be resurrected by Limited Wish, Wish, Miracle, or True Resurrection. A thorn elemental does not breath, eat, or sleep.
Skills: Thorn elementals have a +8 racial bonus on Profession (gardener) checks involving thorned plants. This bonus is taken into account in the number given.

--------------------------------

I was thinking if we follow the asian layout, the 5 elementals of pyre, grave, blood, rust and thorn. Would be surrounded by air, so each would have an entrence to mist. What do you think?
Last edited by NykylaiHellray on Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Maybe it's just me, but "rust" and "thorn" don't really seem like they have the same morbid flavor to them, that the other dread elementals' types do. There's nothing about rust or thorns that's particularly associated with death-imagery per se; both of them sound more like a MotP thing than a Ravenloft thing. :?

Now, if the dread version of a "metal elemental" was built entirely out of sharp-edged murder weapons, that would be much more in line with the existing dread elementals. For wood, a "casket elemental" would be perfect if it wasn't redundant (as grave elementals sometimes have bits of coffins fused into their bodies, IIRC), but perhaps something along the lines of an animated gibbet or noose-strung tree could work.

YMMV
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Fuzzball
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Fuzzball »

If you read the previous posts you'll find that the reason thorn and rust were suggested is that I said that mist isn't all that scary. Just like thorn and rust don't seem all that "Tainted", neither does mist. To me tainted air is someone smoking a cigarette near me. It should be a place where you're breathing in and out without difficulty, but your lungs are burning because there isn't enough oxygen. Maybe an elemental plane of smog. You can survive it for a while, but it's miserable.

A plane made completely out of sharp weapons covered in dried blood is a cool idea, but who would the DarkLord be?

I have to go now, so I'll finish this train of thought later...
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NykylaiHellray »

Hmmmm rust can still be composed of bloody weapons.

"The plane of rust has the metal weapons and armor of all wars upon its surface. Every weapon by every fallen warrior lies here, soaked deep in the blood of those slane by the weapon. Some are millenia old, and are so brittle that one touch would make them brake asunder. The plane of rust is a plane of many horror, sharp spires litter it's serfice rising thousands of feet high.

There is no sky, just endless carverns of metal spires, littered with even more weapons of times long past.

The planes waters are streams are toxic metals, and seas of metal shards."

Meh a quick idea on it.

A rust elemental is composed of the metals on this plane, etc etc.

The closer one gets to the plane of metal, the less weapons and rust one sees. Though at the entrence one is blocked by a gate of metal that can never be breached,
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

For plant, I think rot sounds more morbid than thorn...
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NykylaiHellray »

Hmm rot though can apply to the others =/

Oh spitfull what fo you think of the stats that hades made for the thorn elemental?

Also spitefull what do you think of my attempts to do the quasimentals? =), I think I made them morbid enough.

Edit: the great Fuzzball ^__^ made the stats for the metal elementals. Now if you lot want to corrupt them here they are.
Fuzzball wrote:I don't know how the taint effects elementals, so I started with a metal elemental. I did the basic stats for each size and the following are the special abilities I thought were appropriate. I hope it's helpful to you.

Metal Morph – Due to the elemental’s multiple metal nature its slam attacks count as silver, cold iron, and adamantine for the purpose of overcoming DR.

Absorb Metal – Any metal the elemental touches can be absorbed into its body. Magic items that touch the elemental are entitled to a Fortitude save equal to 10 + ½ the elemental’s HD rounded down. The metal elemental does not have to use this ability, but can activate it at will. Any metalic creature that fails its save takes 1d6 points of damage per age category of the elemental.

If that seems too harsh you could go with a massive racial bonus to sunder attempts instead.

At first glance this creature appears to be a construct. As it approaches you see that it is a jumble of various metalic rocks in a roughly humaniod shaped pool of silver liquid.

Small
STR: 16 DEX: 8 CON: 13 INT: 4 WIS: 11 CHA: 11
HP: 2d8+2 (11)
INIT: -1
SPEED: 20ft
BA/GRPL: +1/0
ATTK: Slam +5 (1d6+3)
FULL ATTK: 1 Slam
SPACE/REACH: 5/5
SPECIAL ATTKS: Absorb Metal, Metal Morph
SPECIAL QUIALITIES: Darkvision 60ft, Elemental Traits
SAVES: +1/-1/+3
SKILLS: Listen 2, Spot 3
FEATS: Power Attack

Medium
STR: 20 DEX: 10 CON: 17 INT: 4 WIS: 11 CHA: 11
HP: 4d8+12 (30)
INIT: 0
BA/GRPL: +3/+8
ATTK: Slam +8 (1d8+5)
FULL ATTK: 1 Slam
SPACE/REACH: 5/5
SPECIAL QUIALITIES: Darkvision 60ft, Elemental Traits
SAVES: +4/+1/+4
SKILLS: Listen 3, Spot 4
FEATS: Cleave, Power Attack

Large
STR: 24 DEX: 12 CON: 19 INT: 6 WIS: 11 CHA: 11
HP: 8d8+32 (68 )
INIT: +1
BA/GRPL: +6/+17
ATTK: Slam +12 (2d6+7)
FULL ATTK: 2 Slams
SPACE/REACH: 10/10
SPECIAL QUIALITIES: Darkvision 60ft, Elemental Traits, DR 5/-
SAVES: +6/+3/+6
SKILLS: Listen 5, Spot 6
FEATS: Cleave, Great Cleave, Power Attack

Huge
STR: 26 DEX: 14 CON: 21 INT: 6 WIS: 11 CHA: 11
HP: 16d8+80 (152)
INIT: +2
SPEED: 30ft
BA/GRPL: +12/+28
ATTK: Slam +19 (2d8+8 )
SPACE/REACH: 15/15
SPECIAL QUIALITIES: Darkvision 60ft, Elemental Traits, DR 5/-
SAVES: +10/+7/+12
SKILLS: Listen 11, Spot 12
FEATS: Awesome Blow, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Iron Will, Power Attack

Greater
STR: 28 DEX: 16 CON: 21 INT: 8 WIS: 11 CHA: 11
HP: 21d8+105 (199)
INIT: +3
BA/GRPL: +15/+32
ATTK: Slam +22 (2d10+9)
SPECIAL QUIALITIES: Darkvision 60ft, Elemental Traits, DR 10/-
SAVES: +12/+10/+14
SKILLS: Listen 14, Spot 14
FEATS: Alertness, Awesome Blow, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Sunder, Iron Will, Power Attack

Elder
STR: 30 DEX: 18 CON: 21 INT: 10 WIS: 11 CHA: 11
HP: 24d8+120 (228)
INIT: +4
BA/GRPL: +18/+36
ATTK: Slam +26 (2d10+10/19-20)
SPECIAL QUIALITIES: Darkvision 60ft, Elemental Traits, DR 10/-
SAVES: +13/+13/+15
SKILLS: Listen 29, Spot 29
FEATS: Alertness, Awesome Blow, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (slam), Improved Sunder, Iron Will, Power Attack

For the rust elemental the following ability.

Rusting Touch - any metal object that touches the rust elemental is immediately rusted and crumbles. Magic items that touch the elemental are entitled to a Fortitude save equal to 10 + ½ the elemental’s HD rounded down. Any metalic creature that fails its save takes 1d6 points of damage per age category of the elemental.
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NykylaiHellray »

Oh I was bored so I thought of somthing else

If you did do paramental, then grave and blood would make the paramental plane of Pus. :twisted:

Lol here is an idea name all the paramentals on somthing to do with disease.
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

Some of those quasielementals make sense while others make NO sense. Seriously, where do you get acid from blood? :shock:

Also, I'm not too sure if we need entire planes for the Asian elements. I can see the use of having corrupted elementals, just so the Asian spellcasters have something interesting to summon. :?

The metal/rust elemental is simply awesome. :D
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NykylaiHellray »

well I knew the first attempt at the quasi's would not compleatly work. But I am going to try to make them make sense. Mainly as I need somthing to do =P

Just tell me which ones dont work and I will attempt again.

As for having entire planes, I think it still coul work. As then you have 5 planes linked surrounded by the plane of mist. Then again it is your pet project so it is up to you. Oh just found out, there is a cannon elemental plane of wood in the manual of planes book, it seems to be optional, according to this poster. So we just need to look at that.

The only one that has never existsed is the plane of metal.

As for the elementals, fuzzball did an amazing job on them =)
Fuzzball
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Fuzzball »

If you wanted to make a corrupted metal elemental composed of weapons, here is my suggestion for abilities.

Blade Dance – As a standard action the elemental may make a touch attack against any melee weapon. The weapon becomes a dancing weapon under the control of the elemental. If the weapon is held, the wielder is entitled to a Will save equal to 10 + ½ the elemental’s HD rounded down. The weapon remains under the elemental’s control until the effect is dispelled (dispel magic, limited wish, miracle, or wish), the elemental releases it, or the elemental is destroyed. An elemental may have up to one half its HD in weapons under its control at any time.

Slam of many edges – Due to the elemental’s composition its slam attacks count as slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning for the purpose of overcoming DR.

I forgot to include AC for the Metal Elementals so here they are:
Small – 17 (+1 size, -1 Dex, +7 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 17
Medium – 18 (+8 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 18
Large – 19 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +9 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 18
Huge – 20 (-2 size, +2 Dex, +10 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 18
Greater – 22 (-2 size, +3 Dex, +11 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 19
Elder – 24 (-2 size, +4 Dex, +12 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 20

I checked the Manual of the Planes for the plane of wood. Interresting, but there are no wood elementals. I may work on them later when I have some free time. :D
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

Personally, I think rust elementals should transmit tetanus. People used rust as a coating of "poison" on their weapons back in the day, after all.