Rokushima Taiyoo

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rokushima Taiyoo

Post by Spiteful Crow »

Hiiiii! I'm new to the forum! Seems like my caffeine addiction made me fail a powers check and brought me here...

Anywho, I was kinda wondering about Rokushima Taiyoo. I've seen the domain mentioned a couple of times on various websites, but I can never find any actual info on it. I've searched through a couple of books and failed to find anything. The new Player's Guide has a little bit of info about the place, but says absolutely nothing about the Darklord, or why the area is called the "poison sea".

Anyone know where I should look?
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

An overview of the domain is given in the Ravenloft Player's Handbook and the Ravenloft 3rd Edition Guide (essentially the same book, the RLPHB is the 3.5 version). Rokushima Taiyoo also appeared in the Red Box campaign setting back in the 2nd edition era, and it first appeared, in greatest detail, in either Islands of Terror or Darklords--I think it was IoT.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

According to the Ravenloft Catalog the only info you can find are located here:

Secrets of the Dread Realms - p7
Ravenloft Third Edition - pp18,110,170-172
Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium III - p6
Ravenloft Campaign Setting:Domains and Denizens - pp39-40

Sadly its one of the least detailed domains out there. The only things known is that the lord had seven children and gave each thier own island. A series of plots and assassinations left the Darklord as a giest and three of the sons dead and thier islands sank into the sea.

Now the remaining brothers fight constantly for lordship of Rokushima Taiyoo while the father tries in vein to stop them.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Jasper wrote: Sadly its one of the least detailed domains out there. The only things known is that the lord had seven children and gave each thier own island. A series of plots and assassinations left the Darklord as a giest and three of the sons dead and thier islands sank into the sea.

Now the remaining brothers fight constantly for lordship of Rokushima Taiyoo while the father tries in vein to stop them.
Um, no, there were six sons, and two were murdered.
The name means "6 Islands on the Mirror Lake"
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

I take it there's no reason why I shouldn't just make it up myself, then? :twisted:
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Of course. :)
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

The name means "6 Islands on the Mirror Lake"
It's "Six Islands of the Sun", actually...
Roku= Six
Shima= Island
Tayioo= Sun

As soon as the Fraternity start working on the domain, call me. :twisted:
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
midnightcat
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by midnightcat »

Nathan of the Frat wrote:Rokushima Taiyoo also appeared in the Red Box campaign setting back in the 2nd edition era, and it first appeared, in greatest detail, in either Islands of Terror or Darklords--I think it was IoT.

Rokushima Taiyoo is not in the books Darkirds ir Iskabds if terror. It is mentioned in the Red box set, 3rd esdition Ravenloft campagihn setting book, and I think Domains of Dread.

The Chinese Bades land I'cath is in the islands od Terror book.
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

So, if I start making up stats for the darklord and his sons, it's alright for me to start posting them? (I won't get smacked for copyright or something, will I?)

It''ll be kinda tough for me to think of a story for him, though. The whole "murder your wife cuz you think she's unfaithful and end up in Ravenloft" thing doesn't seem like it'll work for this darklord.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Spiteful Crow wrote:So, if I start making up stats for the darklord and his sons, it's alright for me to start posting them? (I won't get smacked for copyright or something, will I?)
Well you might :) I'd suggest you wait 'till the release of the Souragne report, it will show guidelines on what you can post here for the darklord.

For the record, the sons were never statted or their background fully developed, so you have all room here.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

The darklord's name is Haki Shinpi, apparently.

Now, the big stumper for me is: Which is his last name?

Is the name displayed Japanese style or Western style?
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

For some idea of what Rokushima Taiyoo might be like, try playing Cosmology of Kyoto. It takes place in the city of Heiankyo while under a curse. The game is really dark. Demons and bandits roam the streets, and the sky is always dark. One element I think could be adapted to Rokushima is how abandoned houses are always inhabited by monsters. Players trying to find shelter from the weather might decide they're better off staying outside. :twisted:

The game can be found at

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1906
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Spiteful Crow wrote:The darklord's name is Haki Shinpi, apparently.

Now, the big stumper for me is: Which is his last name?

Is the name displayed Japanese style or Western style?
Now, that's a good question. :shock:
I never found an answer. Really.
Sometimes he's "Shimpi Haki", someother he's "Haki Shimpi"...

I started fleshing out something about the Shujin's sons... But I guess we should wait 'till the Fraternity sends someone to the Six Island of the Sun to gather infos. In that case, I'd really be glad to help. :wink:
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Some casual googling by Yours Truly turned up the name "Shinpei" on a Japanese baby-names list, but no "Haki". Assuming the E was dropped in translation from Japanese to Rokuma, that would suggest that "Shimpi" (= Shinpi in English spelling) is the late emperor's given name.

"Shinpi", FWIW, seems to translate as "mystery". "Haki" turned up so many times in various languages and translations, I never did find out a meaning for that one ... anyone out there speak Japanese?
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

Because of the above, I'd actually vote for "Shinpi" being the family name, as then all of the sons are similarly "[something] mystery."

I checked the Ravenloft DMG's section on Darklords (Rokushima Taiyoo on page 19), but unfortunately none of the various entries are consistent on whether they use given names vs family names in the descriptions. However, it does refer to him once as "Daimyo Shinpi," and as titles usually go with family names, I'd assume that "Shinpi" is the family name and "Haki" is the personal name.

Also, if it helps, it names the four surviving sons as Yoku, Yake, Yami, and Yugami. The two deceased sons are not named.