My campaign - need some help

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Fido
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

My campaign - need some help

Post by Fido »

Okay. This might turn out to be a tiring rant, but hey. I need some advice on something.

Introductions first.
I live in Belgium, Antwerp and am 18years old.
I'm quite the new DM, been doing it for two or three years (but only once a month or so, max) and I'm addicted to Ravenloft since a year, I think. I've got 4 out of 5 gazetteers and the Setting book, DMG and monster compendium. (oh! and VRG Shadow Fey and Champions of Darkness :-) )
As my first adventure/campaign, I played Feast of Goblyns. Lasted 14 or 15 sessions I think :D (put some extra things in it as well) It ended with chasm opening and thunderbolts striking, getting all the characters to wake up somewhere on a road in FRCS again. (Characters I've played with since the beginning... Known them from level 1 to 10, was great experience for me)
My group really liked the gothic feel I was able to give the game and would love to play more Ravenloft.

Although...

Two of them are real FRCS freaks (one of them almost had all the books) and play a lot of NwN. I have nothing against those, but I gotta say that they can't step away from the "I wanna be an elf and be a real bastard who casts spells" idea. With Ravenloft I've tried to give them a bit more, but didn't work out too well.
Next story I'll do my best to set the mood better. I'll use music, play it at my place, where it's quiet, maybe use candles, I'll see :) (any tips are welcome)

Now, I have a problem trying to come up with a good storyhook to start the campaign. I read this wonderful idea about climbing the walls of Falkovnia to give a signal to rebel troops somewhere on this forum (dunno who wrote it, but kudos to him). So my mind got rolling and I decided I wanted to do something with the Freemen of Falkovnia eventually.
As for the rest of it, I'm clueless.

I was thinking about it all starting in a small village with every character being native to that small place, but my players don't really want that. They say it blocks the creative process of character generation. Their liberty is taken away or something. (Remember the "I want to be an elf with a sword"thing. It's exagerated, but I hope you all understand the problem. :) )

We played one single adventure with new characters that was also set in Ravenloft. It was the adventure from Quoth the Raven 1. (Tainted Love, I set it in south-western Barovia, the old Gundarak)
It featured the Gentleman Caller, and I might want to be reusing that character sometime later.
Now that thing was a long time ago and the players won't remember a thing about it if I start from where that ended.

Actually, I just want to start anew. Do it right, from the start. I don't want to be trying to make the best out of something I actually don't like.

Thank you all for taking the bother to read through this.
Any help, tips, ideas, anything would be kindly appreciated.
- Fido
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

I can't believe there hasn't been a reply to this already. If a Mod reads this, shouldn't it be moved to General?

Mainly without knowing more about the campaign I suggest letting the players write their backgrounds without being to restrictive -the town village thing is pretty common so something different may be better.

Use the player's backgrounds as inspiration for overall story. If you want to include the Freemen this could be a very political campaign with diplomats etc or a gritty rebellion.

Anything more on the story and goals of it you want to share? I can probably help a bit more. Other than that why not use the adventure hooks in your books for help. :wink:
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Your wish...
Actually, this topic -IIRC- popped up in the WotC boards and the author said they were posting it here so I looked and never saw it. Guess I looked in the wrong place. Nice catch Coan.

Better late than never, let's see those ideas!
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Jennifer »

Hi Fido,
I find it difficult to start a new campaign as well. The middle part of the adventure can be quite clear, but how to get there is always my problem.

If your players tell you that starting as the natives of a small village blocks the creative process, they are simply wrong. i started a campaign that way, asked my players to come up with a background and all five of them came up with very different backgrounds, the implications of which are still playing themselves out, more than a 18 months of playing later. (read the introduction of Jennifer's Campaign in the smoking room if you want to see what they came up with.)
If you take away some of the liberty of the players they must become really creative to make an interesting character within the boundaries you have set. This can be a revealing experience for them.

The players getting involved in the rebellion against Vlad sounds like nice idea. Personally I am always in favor of campaigns in which social and political motivations play a large part in stead of just slicing & dicing everything you meet.
Perhaps the players are from a small falkovnian village, somehow they ran afoul of the falkovnian soldiers, had to leave the village and are now on the run in their own country. As outlaws they can come into contacteasily with other outlaws and so blend quite naturally with the rebels.

I hope I was able to help.

Jennifer
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

(where was that thread? I didn't see it either)

I have my players as rebel Gundarakites. So before we sat at the table for the very first game, I had a few discussions with them (by email) on the background of ex. Gundarak, description of Zeidenburg, what they did in the rebellion, who are the major characters in it, etc. I even gave them the Barovia chapter in Gaz 1 (with juicy bits and adventure hook removed).

When we started the game, they knew a lot about their PCs background but didn't know what to expect.

I suggest a similar treatment to PCs background. Check my campaign journal, check Jennifer's campaign for a great home town feel.

Joël
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Jennifer »

hi all,
I suggest a similar treatment to PCs background. Check my campaign journal, check Jennifer's campaign for a great home town feel.
joël, you are making me blush.

jennifer
Fido
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Fido »

*shamelessly bumps everything back up*

The previous session was placed quite near Zeidenburg, so yesterday I had the group go there. They met some Gundarakite rebels and some Barovian oppressive politicians who gave them both a job. The rebels asked them to deliver a bunch of grain to a starving group in Teufeldorf, the Barovians asked them to steal the delivery.
I'm guessing the group's going to choose to steal the delivery and rake in the bigger reward the Barovians are willing to give. Tssk... :)

Bigger! So it may seem! *Evil DM-laughter*

I think I can do something with this...

Thanks a lot, everyone.