music to build by

Discussing all things Ravenloft
vipera aspis
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

music to build by

Post by vipera aspis »

so, what is everyones favored music(bands, artists, soundtracks...) to listen to when working on Ravenloft and while playing? and are the two different or the same?
my bones among the rocks and roots
Darkknight
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Darkknight »

For playing I have the four disc set of Midnight Syndicate
I remember the first war, the way the sky burned... Faces of angels destroyed.
Jonman99
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Jonman99 »

For some obscure reason, I've found the german rock band called Ramstein's music quite fitting for combat scenes. The accompament of great drumming with the ghoulish sounding voice does create a very, tense combat. Not pieces to use in an assasination but in an all out battle like a duel fits it well.
Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.
-Leo Tolstoy
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Stygian Inquirer »

I use mostly game and music soundtracks. My library includes:
Game OSTs:
Silent Hill 1, 2, 3
Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, C:VX, Outbreak
Gabriel Knight 3
Thief 4

Movie OSTs:
The Ninth Gate
Silence of the Lambs
Hannibal
Red Dragon
Requiem for a Dream
Vampire Hunter D
Donnie Darko
Halloween

I find that these cover me pretty well for music.
Information seems to come my way whether by chance or by fate, but all this means, is that I have yet to find out what will kill me and why. - The Stygian Inquirer
Ultramyth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Ultramyth »

Midnight syndicate is excellent for background music. I used to tailor cutscenes to pieces of music, which were incredibly effective.

The best one ever was Midnight Syndicate's "Haunted Nursery"

The party was first level, and in Port-a-Lucine. A woman was screaming that a horrible furred creature had stolen her baby and ran into an abandoned house. They cautiously entered the house (the heartbeat was really effective) and heard the baby crying in the track. Then they cautiously walked up the stairs and found the nursery. When the nursery music started playing, I described a wererat rocking the baby back and forth in its arms in a very creepy way.

The players said they were shit scared.

Another time, I was describing a Reaver attack on the Port-a-Lucine docks on a misty night. One of the group was experiencing the attack as a dream. I used Bram Stoker's Draculat (soundtrack), the main title I believe. The build up is incredible in that. It's ideal for the introduction to an epic battle.

I stopped using music though in my campaigns because it was too detrimental starting and stopping tracks as I was speaking. Might whip it out sometime soon.

As for other music. Well, here's an old list: http://www.ravenloft.co.uk/renaissance/music.html

Some cradle of filth quiet tracks are really good too. I'd consider using some Nightwish for action tracks. Especially Ghost Love Score because it's long and epic.

Soundtracks: House on haunted hill, Edward Scissorhands, and anything really by Dany Elfman is great.

I'll have to check out some of the other suggestions.
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Jennifer »

Hi all,
I do not use music much, although I do try to play metallica's of wolf and man whenever one of my players has his monthly 'trouble' so to say. The party starts to worry every time that one comes up.

They have not yet met other werewolves, but i am thinking of playing it too when they see other werewolves.

rammstein would work very well during the more brutal fight scenes, I do not have many fights in my campaign however.

Jennifer
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

I don't play music when I game (it would be pointless; most of my gaming is online) but I use it all the time when I build. When I'm letting my ideas stew between typing sessions, just about any kind of music is helpful. A random sampler:

Night on Bald Mountain
, by Mussorgsky
Matthew's Song, by John Denver
Pressure, by Billy Joel
Les Miserables soundtrack
Listen to Your Heart, by Roxette
The Downeaster Alexa, by Billy Joel
Goodnight Saigon, by Billy Joel
The Distant Serenade, by Micheal McLean

Actually, some of my best inspiration comes from church music, especially the Book of Mormon and New Testament video soundtracks!

But right now I've got the Funeral March of the Marionettes stuck in my head....also known as the Alfred Hitchcock theme... :?
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Gremmith Mi
Conspirator
Conspirator

Power of MUSIC!

Post by Gremmith Mi »

I have a pretty big collection of music on the ol' PC (16.5 Gb at present), and I use music a lot for RPing.

Some of the better albums (IMO) are;

Welcome to Sky Valley by Kyuss
The Chrono Trigger Soundtrack
() by Sigur Ros
Adore by the Smashing Pumpkins
Give Up by the Postal Service
Shango by Juno Reactor
Zooma by John Paul Jones

Some of the acoustic nails tracks from The Fragile, like "The Mark Has Been Made" and "Ripe with Decay"
also anything by the Tea Party and most Radiohead
...The Call of Ktulu by Metallica's pretty fantastic

and a bunch of anime soundtracks
Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex OST 1
Noir OST 1
RahXephon OST 1
FLCL OST 1

Heh.
THE SKIES BLEED
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

For full CDs, I use a lot of Midnight Syndicate. I also use Mozart's Requiem and the soundtracks to Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (excellent for the mood, if a little too dynamic), Unbreakable, and Anne Rice's--errr. Bram Stoker's Dracula. I also have a CD of Benedictine monks singing Latin hymns for whenever they go into a temple of Ezra or some such.

What I'm best known among my players for, though, are my lovingly crafted mixes. I make mixed CDs at the drop of a hat. Combat's coming up? Time for my battle mix, with Mars: The Bringer of War, the battle theme from Gladiator, Carmina Burana, and the Bridge of Khazad Dum. Off to Tepest? Time for my Tepest mix, full of minor-key Celtic music. Is something happening that involves children? Time for my creepy nursery music mix. And so on . . .
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

For building I choose the music that suits the atmosphere I intend to portray (to get my mind in the right mood) however I tend to just jot down notes at random intervals most times without music.

For playing I really get into the specific music (even going so far as to time the cutscenes to get the alteration in music right). So here are some tracks that have more of the tracks I use in game than most (if it works I'll use it):

Ghost in the Shell SAC: Soundtrack
Last Exile (both OSTs): Soundtrack (mainly for building)
A lot of Motzart and Beethoven.

Soundtracks work well for me as each track is short but most times charged with emotion that the scene it is used in is trying to get across. Great for games.

For my future campaign I'll probably have a more techno/rock set up and hopefully I'll be able to accumulate enough music one day to create my own playlists for even general background music.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Rhuvein
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Rhuvein »

I'm wanting to try opera and some elements of classical music . . . Ring Cycle of Wagner comes to mind!!! And then of course, Black Sabbath seems to suggest itself. :banshee:
Hmm, maybe playing them together!!! :azalin:

Regards,

Rhuvein.
"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes" - Shakespeare
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

:twisted:
While playing, I don't allow music - background sound tends to distract people...

While working (on RL and in general), I prefer classic, or, if it's a nice and sunny day like today SOMETHING LOUD...

:soth:
Shadowsworn
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Shadowsworn »

I use CDs both while playing, and while making up my campaign. Different ones though, usually.

While Playing: Midnight Syndicate, Cradle of Filth instrumentals, opera ie. Toccata and Fugue in D-Minor, some LotR music, Baldur's Gate soundtrack.

While Writing: Cradle of Filth, Evanescence, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil.
"Death is the great equalizer"

Proof that the Grim Reaper is a communist.
Troile
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Troile »

Midnight Syndicate...
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Just out of interest... Anyone hear listening to R&B and hiphop while gaming?

:soth: